Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-27-2015, 08:53 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinibotia View Post
Actually, let's be real. It's good that PETA isn't trying to go after chain store. Everyone thinks PETA is crazy, so it would only make things worse.

Please explain. They SHOULD go after chain stores. They are the worst about unethical fish keeping. No info on cycling, no knowledge on stocking, compatability, etc.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

Old 04-27-2015, 09:06 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Skype™ to sinibotia
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImACoolguy View Post
Please explain. They SHOULD go after chain stores. They are the worst about unethical fish keeping. No info on cycling, no knowledge on stocking, compatability, etc.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS
Yeah but PETA is all about extreme positions. Any time I see the PETA involved in something I expect some bat-poop craziness. If PETA starts pushing for better fish care in chain stores, people will dismiss it as a fringe movement and associate normal, ethical fishkeepers- who believe that these reforms should take place- with PETA. But we're not that crazy and what we are advocating for isn't crazy at all.

sinibotia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 09:06 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I think the fish being kept is more a hot topic then just keeping.
I do not agree with MANY things in the aquarium trade(small tanks,defect species fish, water treatments.....),
But we all started somewhere!
1/2 gallon cube or 220g!
I will probably never keep my very favorite fish ever again.
An arrowana honestly has no place in home aquaria.
Nor red tailed cats,clown knifes.....) ,but I would never have grown to love and respect this hobby with out going through my own phases.
PETA has no knowledge of what to even look for.
Old 04-27-2015, 09:12 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by coralbandit View Post
I do not agree with MANY things in the aquarium trade(small tanks,defect species fish, water treatments.....),
1/2 gallon cube or 220g!
Nor red tailed cats,clown knifes.....) ,but I would never have grown to love and respect this hobby with out going through my own phases.
I 100% agree with this. I used to want some of those fish like nothing else but now I think fish that get bigger than a foot or so just shouldn't be kept in tanks unless it's practically an indoor pond. Leave the bigger fish in the wild. I don't hold it against the people who keep them (as long as they have a proper setup) but it just doesn't feel right to me.
Old 04-27-2015, 09:13 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by coralbandit View Post
1/2 gallon cube or 220g!

I have to agree with this.

Many fish in the hobby especially when you get into some saltwater species have no place in an aquarium unless you have a MASSIVE tank/pond. Certain starfish, monster fish like RTC, Motoro Rays, knifefish, etc.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS
Old 04-27-2015, 09:21 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I don't want people to get me wrong,I have kept my fair share of stuff we all just shouldn't.
Both marine and fresh.
We all learn from mistakes and experience and without others sharing theirs and placing some "merit" to it who could know all?
That being said,
There are plenty of fish that are here specifically for this hobby and NOT FOR US(fish keepers) they would not have been bred or ever offered for sale!
One of my "general goals" in life(all facets) is to put back more then I take.
Sometimes simple,sometimes not.
I don't really worry for any of those fish at chain stores.
They wouldn't be there if it wasn't for us!
Old 04-27-2015, 09:39 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

I do like to "rescue" fish at chain stores; it's my little way of makling a difference. My fiance's and my angelfish was a petsmart angel. I like to think he feels really lucky ending up with me and my fiance who dote over our fish so much. Lord only knows he could have ended up in a 10 gallon with someone who just didn't care.

As cheesy and silly as it sounds, fish are intelligent and complex beings, and I think that many common aquarium species gain something personally from being in the aquariums of good fishkeepers. Maybe it's not the same depth or closeness we experience with other mammals we have as pets, but I like to think that we bond with our fish and that they bond with us as well- to as much of a degree as a fish is capable. Not very scientific, but I feel it's true. And that's why I have no real moral qualms with fishkeeping. But at the same time I see why people would have a problem with it.

Commence mocking my silly ideals!
Old 04-27-2015, 09:46 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinibotia View Post
I do like to "rescue" fish at chain stores; it's my little way of makling a difference. My fiance's and my angelfish was a petsmart angel. I like to think he feels really lucky ending up with me and my fiance who dote over our fish so much. Lord only knows he could have ended up in a 10 gallon with someone who just didn't care.

As cheesy and silly as it sounds, fish are intelligent and complex beings, and I think that many common aquarium species gain something personally from being in the aquariums of good fishkeepers. Maybe it's not the same depth or closeness we experience with other mammals we have as pets, but I like to think that we bond with our fish and that they bond with us as well- to as much of a degree as a fish is capable. Not very scientific, but I feel it's true. And that's why I have no real moral qualms with fishkeeping. But at the same time I see why people would have a problem with it.

Commence mocking my silly ideals!
I agree!

We certainly have a relationship with our female betta... she knows us! She's a smart little buggar... and a brat... she jumped out of the tank onto the floor one time ( about a 5.5ft drop she took! ) and scared us real good, thankfully she has suffered no ill effects from that... she did swim funny for the rest of the day afterwards though. Hubby had to scoop her off the floor as carefully as he could...

The fish in our 20g could care less about us though, lol! They don't care if we are there or not. They get scared if we get too close to the tank, though or move suddenly near it. The male betta we have upstairs is so cute... bettas have such different personalities, they truly do! And lots of other fish do too... just not the ones in our 20g tank apparently lol :P We love watching them, and our shrimp are HILARIOUS I love them.

Your angel IS lucky that she/he ended up with you two
Old 04-27-2015, 10:21 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Activist

Petco

In petco it said that red finned sharks max size is 4 " I don't know about that...
Old 04-30-2015, 06:02 AM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny32561 View Post
In petco it said that red finned sharks max size is 4 " I don't know about that...

It's actually only about 6-7 inches max for rainbow and red tail sharks.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

Tags
fish

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com