Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Closed Thread

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-19-2004, 12:03 PM   #41
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
Quote:
2) have you ever seen a fat vegan?
Yes I have. There is alot more to someones body shape than just the foods they consume.

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
Old 11-19-2004, 01:09 PM   #42
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:

It is very hard to get all the right proteins, nutrients, and other stuff that your body needs to be very healthy as a vegitarian. I know a lot of vegitarians, most of them are very skinny, but their skin isn't as firm, they have a higher percentage in body fat (which doesn't mean you're fat), they get tired more easily, and are sick more often. I love meat, I eat a lot, but I'm not fat. In fact, I'd like to say I have a pretty nice body for someone who is in class, at a radio station, eating in between, and sleeping whenever I can, and don't have time to work out. I'm a lot more healthy than my veggie friends, I have a lower % of body fat, and overall I have more energy (I have to with my schedule!!). I had a class that did a comparitive study on this and the result support everything I just said. Yes, you can be in great shape and very healthy as a vegitarian, just as healthy as a meat eater, sometimes more. But it takes a LOT more effort than just eating tofu, carrot juice, and salads. You have to eat more veggies, and different kinds, to get the same nutrition from a steak. Probably the reason why the bear eating berries will go for the fish that flops out of the river next to him, and then continue eating the berries. If we were ment to survive on only non-animal organisms, we wouldn't have evolved with the teeth we have today (omnivore-type with both tearing and grinding for meat and vegitables).

Now, not all meat-eaters are healthy either, and many are overweight, but that is more complext than just what they eat. (how, how much, emotional issues, etc...)

Old 11-19-2004, 02:17 PM   #43
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
there are also health issues that can affect ones physical body shape that has zero berring on ones diet.

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
Old 11-19-2004, 02:47 PM   #44
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
1) The problem I have is overfishing and not using all you can out of the fish. ie shark fin soup, and the like if you kill it use it all.
I agree 100%. Waste is bad. But in a commercial sense, there really isn't much waste in the fishing industry (for consumption). Just about everything that is "tossed aside" as not human consumeable, is taken to processing plants and becomes feed. Fish food is 90% fish. Some cattle feed, IIRC, also has some fish byproducts. This is bones and all. A nasty site to see all the "bits" emulsified and pelitized. But it all gets used.

Quote:
Yes. One of my closest friends in fact.
Old 11-19-2004, 02:59 PM   #45
Aquarium Advice Addict

I wonder if the PETA people believe that plants have "feelings". I am assuming that they don't eat meat, which is fine. But they would surely starve if it was proved that cabbage and beans could feel pain.
Old 11-19-2004, 10:17 PM   #46
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to RocketSeason
Quote:
Originally Posted by pipermurphy
The problem I have is overfishing and not using all you can out of the fish.
ie shark fin soup, and the like if you kill it use it all.
The horrible thing with that is very often they dont kill the shark. They cut off all of the fins and throw it back in the water alive and let it starve to death.

Hardware: 37 gallon SW tank and stand by Oceanic Systems, Magnum 350 Pro Canister Filter (half carbon), CPR Bak Pak 2R skimmer, Maxijet 1200 Powerhead, RenaCal 150 W heater, Compact fluorescent lights with moonlights. 40 lbs of liverock, 3" sand bed.

Software:2 Tank-Raised Ocellaris Clowns, 1 Purple Firefish, 1 Electric Orange hermit crab, 18 Blue Legged hermit crabs, 8 or so Nassarius snails, Xenia, Blue, green, and Green Striped Mushrooms.

Click here to vote for AquariumAdvice.com: The friendliest, fishiest place on the net!

Central Illinois Marane Aquarist (CIMA) member.
Old 11-20-2004, 01:55 AM   #47
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
It is very hard to get all the right proteins, nutrients, and other stuff that your body needs to be very healthy as a vegitarian
I'd hate to turn this into a diet debate but I don't agree. The only reason it can be hard for someone is because it takes a little work to find and prepare food. People who aren't on any type of diet get used to packaged foods and fast food. A lot of people are too lazy to learn a new way of eating and don't want to give up their favorite foods. My wife and I are vegans at heart though we eat fish and occasionally some turkey... She is a very healthy weight and build... the rest of her family is close to if not completely obese. If we had not changed our diet she'd be in the same situation... Anyway, there are many more nutrients in stuff people don't even know about. Oatmeal for one has a lot of protien, I never knew that til I read the package... I could go on, but I wont...
Old 11-20-2004, 03:40 AM   #48
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yeh, I understand your point, but I was trying to say that most everything we need to be healthy is in omnivorous diets and it is much easier to get those things as an omnivore rather than just as a vegitarian or vegan. I went on to mention that genetically we aren't made to just eat vegitables and I personally don't see the point for me to quit my way of eating. I am very glad your wife is able to remain healthy, but maybe it isn't just the food she eats. My dad is very overweight, it is genetic, but I *knock on wood* have not inherited those genes. So just crediting the food may not be entirely correct.
Old 11-21-2004, 11:11 AM   #49
Aquarium Advice Activist

PETA

Pinheads for the Ethical Treatment of Animals

The person Sean Hannity gave the Lobsters to was Flipper. There was another incident where a musem somewhere had a GoldFish in a non working blender. It was a ethical test to see how many people would flip the switch. Of course Hannity said he would flip the switch. Flipper was horriefied and PETA was screaming. LOL

Scott
Espresso! Breakfast of Champions

Esspresso! Breakfast of Champions.
Old 11-21-2004, 06:27 PM   #50
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via AIM to Umberle
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishfreek
Quote:
But if you put food in a loose covered box, I don't think they would have the intelligence to figure out how to open it to get the food.
octopi have been show to exhibit such intelligence. Of course the PETA documents dont say anything about octopi I dont belive.
Except octopi aren't fish...they are cephelapoids (sp?) and on top of that some species of starfish can do it too. I used to want to be a marine biologist can ya tell? There are some really neat vids online though of octopi getting food out of glass jars.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com