PETA and Fish ethics

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
2) have you ever seen a fat vegan?

It is very hard to get all the right proteins, nutrients, and other stuff that your body needs to be very healthy as a vegitarian. I know a lot of vegitarians, most of them are very skinny, but their skin isn't as firm, they have a higher percentage in body fat (which doesn't mean you're fat), they get tired more easily, and are sick more often. I love meat, I eat a lot, but I'm not fat. In fact, I'd like to say I have a pretty nice body for someone who is in class, at a radio station, eating in between, and sleeping whenever I can, and don't have time to work out. I'm a lot more healthy than my veggie friends, I have a lower % of body fat, and overall I have more energy (I have to with my schedule!!). I had a class that did a comparitive study on this and the result support everything I just said. Yes, you can be in great shape and very healthy as a vegitarian, just as healthy as a meat eater, sometimes more. But it takes a LOT more effort than just eating tofu, carrot juice, and salads. You have to eat more veggies, and different kinds, to get the same nutrition from a steak. Probably the reason why the bear eating berries will go for the fish that flops out of the river next to him, and then continue eating the berries. If we were ment to survive on only non-animal organisms, we wouldn't have evolved with the teeth we have today (omnivore-type with both tearing and grinding for meat and vegitables).

Now, not all meat-eaters are healthy either, and many are overweight, but that is more complext than just what they eat. (how, how much, emotional issues, etc...)

there are also health issues that can affect ones physical body shape that has zero berring on ones diet.

1) The problem I have is overfishing and not using all you can out of the fish. ie shark fin soup, and the like if you kill it use it all.
I agree 100%. Waste is bad. But in a commercial sense, there really isn't much waste in the fishing industry (for consumption). Just about everything that is "tossed aside" as not human consumeable, is taken to processing plants and becomes feed. Fish food is 90% fish. Some cattle feed, IIRC, also has some fish byproducts. This is bones and all. A nasty site to see all the "bits" emulsified and pelitized. But it all gets used.

2) have you ever seen a fat vegan?
Yes. One of my closest friends in fact.

I wonder if the PETA people believe that plants have "feelings". I am assuming that they don't eat meat, which is fine. But they would surely starve if it was proved that cabbage and beans could feel pain. :roll:

pipermurphy said:
The problem I have is overfishing and not using all you can out of the fish.
ie shark fin soup, and the like if you kill it use it all.

The horrible thing with that is very often they dont kill the shark. They cut off all of the fins and throw it back in the water alive and let it starve to death.

:x

It is very hard to get all the right proteins, nutrients, and other stuff that your body needs to be very healthy as a vegitarian
I'd hate to turn this into a diet debate but I don't agree. The only reason it can be hard for someone is because it takes a little work to find and prepare food. People who aren't on any type of diet get used to packaged foods and fast food. A lot of people are too lazy to learn a new way of eating and don't want to give up their favorite foods. My wife and I are vegans at heart though we eat fish and occasionally some turkey... She is a very healthy weight and build... the rest of her family is close to if not completely obese. If we had not changed our diet she'd be in the same situation... Anyway, there are many more nutrients in stuff people don't even know about. Oatmeal for one has a lot of protien, I never knew that til I read the package... I could go on, but I wont...

Yeh, I understand your point, but I was trying to say that most everything we need to be healthy is in omnivorous diets and it is much easier to get those things as an omnivore rather than just as a vegitarian or vegan. I went on to mention that genetically we aren't made to just eat vegitables and I personally don't see the point for me to quit my way of eating. I am very glad your wife is able to remain healthy, but maybe it isn't just the food she eats. My dad is very overweight, it is genetic, but I *knock on wood* have not inherited those genes. So just crediting the food may not be entirely correct.

PETA

Pinheads for the Ethical Treatment of Animals

The person Sean Hannity gave the Lobsters to was Flipper. There was another incident where a musem somewhere had a GoldFish in a non working blender. It was a ethical test to see how many people would flip the switch. Of course Hannity said he would flip the switch. Flipper was horriefied and PETA was screaming. LOL

Scott
Espresso! Breakfast of Champions
:morning:

fishfreek said:
But if you put food in a loose covered box, I don't think they would have the intelligence to figure out how to open it to get the food.

octopi have been show to exhibit such intelligence. Of course the PETA documents dont say anything about octopi I dont belive.

Except octopi aren't fish...they are cephelapoids (sp?) and on top of that some species of starfish can do it too. I used to want to be a marine biologist can ya tell? There are some really neat vids online though of octopi getting food out of glass jars.

There are some really neat vids online though of octopi getting food out of glass jars.

I'm not sure but I beleive I saw one that put the lid back on also. I may be dreaming though. :roll:

heh...now that I want to see...smart and considerate....few more million years and they might have men beat. :wink:

:: sigh ::

scrawny vegans... :roll:

I really don't get some of the crap PETA pulls. Just the other day I bought one of those hairless cats and the breeder told me about a time when he went to a cat show and PETA sprayed some chemical in the face of two of his cats. They were trying to KILL the cats because PETA thinks it's better for animals to be dead than kept as pets.

The PETA that thinks you shouldn't fish because fish have feelings and feel pain is the same PETA that thinks animals are better off dead than kept as pets...... explain that one.

more:

PETA has contributed tens of thousands of dollars to animal-rights activists who have been charged with or convicted of crimes.

Ingrid Newkirk is the head of PETA; she is nothing more that a extremist. Don't fall for her BS image of "saving the animals." This is the same woman who urged Yasser Arafat to spare animals in suicide bombings, but could care less about the humans that were being killed.

PETA members believe that animals should have the same rights as people.

PETA head, Ingrid Newkirk has stated that there is no moral difference between poultry farms and Nazi death camps.

PETA has stated repeatedly that their goal is "total animal liberation." This means no pets, no meat, no milk, no zoos, no circuses, no fishing, no leather, and no animal testing for lifesaving medicines.

PETA funds the misnamed Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine 3, an animal-rights organization that presents itself as an unbiased source for nutritional information and has links to a violent animal-rights group called SHAC.

PETA has used their contributors’ tax-exempt donations to fund the North American Earth Liberation front, an FBI-certified “domestic terrorist” group responsible for fire bombs and death threats.

PETA cares more about chickens and other farm animals than they do about starving or sick children..

PETA regularly targets kids as early as elementary school with anti-meat and anti-milk propaganda. They also operate a webpage which advocates to people to stop drinking all milk because its supposedly a health hazard!

PETA spends less than one percent of its $13 million budget actually caring for animals.

PETA has repeatedly attacked groups like the March of Dimes, the Pediatric AIDS Foundation, and the American Cancer Society, for conducting animal testing to find cures for birth defects and life-threatening diseases.

"I think it would be great if all of the fast-food outlets, slaughterhouses, these laboratories and the banks that fund them exploded tomorrow.” -PETA Vice President Bruce Friedrich

PeTA co-founder Ingrid Newkirk once said even if animal research resulted in a cure for AIDS, "we'd be against it."

"Arson, property destruction, burglary and theft are 'acceptable crimes' when used for the animal cause." -Alex Pacheco, Director, PeTA

"We feel that animals have the same rights as retarded children." -Alex Pacheco, Director, PeTA,

"To those people who say, `My father is alive because of animal experimentation,' I say `Yeah, well, good for you. This dog died so your father could live.' Sorry, but I am just not behind that kind of trade off." -Bill Maher, PeTA celebrity spokesman

"Six million Jews died in concentration camps, but six billion broiler chickens will die this year in slaughter houses." -Ingrid Newkirk, President, PeTA,

"The life of an ant and that of my child should be granted equal consideration." -Michael W. Fox, Vice President, The Human Society

Regan when asked which he would save, a dog or a baby, if a boat capsized in the ocean: "If it were a retarded baby and a bright dog, I'd save the dog." -Tom Regan

Wow, that's some crazy stuff. While I still think they're a bunch of whackos there's a few things I agree with them on...
that there is no moral difference between poultry farms and Nazi death camps.

stop drinking all milk because its supposedly a health hazard!
Poultry farms are horrid. I think the way chickens are treated is cruel to animals and people. And milk... well, I could go on about things but I feel most people wouldn't want to hear it and I wouldn't want to change the basic subject anyway...
I will say there's a lot wrong with the way animals are treated, in general but not overall, and something should be done, but these weirdos aren't really helping anyone.

I live in a section of VA that is very poultry driven and I have to say other than the way they are transported from farm to processing plant I wouldnt classify their treatment as cruel. This is the main livelyhood for many people around here and every chicken and/or turkey is money to them. For the most part the majority of farms are as sanitary and healthy as they can be given the numbers of chickens and turkeys they have growing. Its the small percentage of bad farms that everyone points at when they talk bad about the industry.

I have even toured a poultry processing plant as part of a college class and way the chickens and turkeys are killed is about as humane as can be on a mass scale. I would in NO WAY compare them to nazi death camps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom