Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Closed Thread

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-13-2005, 11:52 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

The "Your Mommy Kills Animals!" campaign is going too far. Who in their right mind would hand a CHILD a pamplet of a person killing a rabbit with a knife then telling them that that's what their mother is doing. That's just plain wrong.

I am all for treating animals with the same respect that you treat humans, but sometimes they go too far. Saying that if a cure for AIDS can come from animal testing that they would be against it? Right now they are trying all sorts of treatments on humans. Don't get me wrong, I think it's wrong to lock up poor animals and do nothing but poke on them with needles, but it's not always like that. I'd like for the PETA President to volunteer for medical research testing.

“Pet ownership is an absolutely abysmal situation brought about by human manipulation.”
— Harper's

Like you said Severum, my poor cat. He must suffer through his yearly shots so he doesn't get any diseases and die. He must suffer through the high priced quality cat foods and fresh drinking water complete with a running waterfall drinking bowl. The warm house on the cold snowy days and the cool house on those blistering hot days must be torture. Not to mention all of the play time and affection. I see you're point, my cat is being tortured in our house. Trying to keep dogs and cats from breeding is like trying to keep guppies from breeding. Each animal would have to be spayed/neutered or seperated from each other. I think that they would be TOTALLY against that because then that would be harmful to the animal. Oh well.

I never was really against PETA until reading some of their comments that they make in the press and seeing some of their campaigns. I would NEVER wear fur or support cruel treatments of animals but sometimes they take it too far.

29 Gallon Lake Malawi Fry
55 Gallon Community
150 Gallon Lake Malawi Cichlid
Old 10-13-2005, 11:55 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Im a proud member of the Peta Steet Team and Peta America. I personally disagree with a few of the things Peta has done of the years but thier work on enviromental liberation and stopping large corporations from abusing the enviroment has been excellent, although they go too far on some smaller issues than they should.

I dont want to start an argument so I am going to stop there on my support for Peta, I do enough writing and ranting for the group to make my opinions on animal welfare known. I own two dogs and I can tell you, and Peta for that matter they are far from slaves - they have a life far better than most modern human beings. The sad part is over 75% of domesticated animals are neglected, abused, mistreated, and killed.

As for the article posted above this is not the first time I have read this material and I will write a letter to Peta's office about the article. What they have forgotten is that some of the most important research in preserving fish habitats, coral reefs and the fish themselves has happened while these animals were in captivity. I think we can all agree that dumping cyanide and other poisons on the reef, leading to coral death and fish death is bad - and abusing and taking advantage of natural resources for financial gain is a disgusting part of the modern world.

I think instead of going 100% against aquariums Peta should practice promoting responsible husbandry of aquarium reef, captive reefs - etc . etc. Although much of what was stated in that article has been proven to be scientific fact and the short cutting of chemical and audible messages by the aquarium filtration and thier effects on fish is a really big question in the minds of many marine biologists. The fact of the matter is the aquarium hobby is real - everyone here is in love with it and I believe through responsible practices in our home aquariums and activisim as aquarium owners we can not only safely make our fish's captive lives decent ones but also help preserve the natural world they come from.

As for the 7 things about Peta article posted above, most of that information is very misleading and wrong. Peta donated money to the ELF before they became a violent group and the rest of those facts appear very distorted.

As for showing up at a Peta rally with a bucket of KFC in hand - well that is just plain rude and distasteful.

Old 10-13-2005, 12:57 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to deli_conker
Quote:
As for showing up at a Peta rally with a bucket of KFC in hand - well that is just plain rude and distasteful.
Considering how polite and sensitive PETA is for all things not in agreement with their views, I'll take that as a compliment.

But one bucket wouldn't be enough.

It might make more sense to talk to the guy with the philly steak stand and see if he can move a little closer to where they're at. Where there's people, there's business.

(Pass the gravy)
Old 10-13-2005, 01:10 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

I wonder what pam anderson and peta would think if I gave my dog a boob job
Old 10-13-2005, 01:13 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice FINatic

good one talloulou!!
Old 10-13-2005, 01:25 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

Ok, before something starts to get out of hand let's please keep this thread civil and try and refrain from remarks you know will offend others. If it gets personal you all know the drill...Thread will be locked.....Play Nice all please.
Old 10-13-2005, 02:06 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by macman7010
May be... but what about showing up at a place of worship on a Sunday... and then sue them when they try to shut you out? Or what about showing up to a school WITHOUT parental consent and handing out extremely exaggerated propaganda?

Also, if our pets were in such bad places, then how come my dog would rather lay on my lap or in my bed or eat my food instead of sleeping in the woods behind my house or trying to chase down his own food?

I know that there are a lot of animals out there that are neglected, but over 75% has to be an incorrect or, at the very least, misleading figure. Where did you get that number from?

But anyway, this is stupid. Some of these extremists are hypocrites, whether they know it or not. Aside from microbiology, how many critters do you think the average person kills a day? What about ants and other minute garden/yard bugs? What about cockroaches, termites, bees, spiders, etc. Do hardcore PETA-followers let them just run around their houses or do they RAID them? There are some things I could agree with, but those are very few and far between. IMO, it's just a ridiculous group that wants attention. IMO, the modern man cannot live (flourish) today if you release EVERY animal to the world and all that mumbo-jumbo.

Just my $0.02
Rena Filstar XP2
Pressurized CO2 w/SMS122

29 Gallon Goldfish
4" Red/White Ryunkin
4" Orange Fantail
Penguin 100
AquaClear 20
Old 10-13-2005, 02:31 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
perhaps it is rude and distasteful, but so is throwing red paint on people who wear fur. At least the first one can be ignored.
Old 10-13-2005, 02:53 PM   #19
AA Team Emeritus

A request to keep this thread civil has been ignored. This thread is now locked.
Old 10-13-2005, 07:31 PM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Okay everybody, let's get back on topic, which is PETA and fish. If the thread goes off topic, it will be relocked and the key thrown away.

Closed Thread

Tags
tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com