Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Closed Thread

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-14-2005, 09:56 AM   #31
Aquarium Advice Addict

BRAVO! Great letter and well written at that!

Old 10-14-2005, 10:39 AM   #32
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Thanks a lot guys. I will be sure to share any and all responses with you. While I am a Peta members I do not support much of what they do (the your mommy kills bunnies campaign, some of the KFC stuff went overboard, and there are various others) but like I said before they have accomplished some good. Like you said Brian extremist actions soon emerge from activism - in the case with the ELF for example they went from a non-violent movement that was verbally protesting in favor of the enviroment. They than became a violent organization that was destroying homes, etc - etc.

As for responses from Peta so far they have sent me two automated responses one saying thanks for your comments and the other saying if you have an animal emergency call here. If I dont hear a response with some substance soon I am going to call Peta personally and read them my letter or discuss with them some issues. Peta has a way of getting in the face of some of the issues they are against and if they have thier sight set on the aquarium hobby its hard to say where they will go with it.

My hope is that if they are a sincere organization they will listen to what people have to say and understand that while there are negative impacts in the hobby (bad fish stores, irresonsible people, poor collection methods, etc) there are many many hobbyists who take a huge responsible stand with thier home aquariums, so much that it becomes a lifestyle. Just look here at AA for an example of that. The advisors, members, and everyone have taken a responsible initiative to do things right - otherwise we wouldnt be here. I want Peta to recognize that before they go out bashing our hobby and bad mouthing the hobbyists.

Old 10-14-2005, 10:46 AM   #33
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to lmw80 Send a message via MSN to lmw80 Send a message via Yahoo to lmw80
I often wonder if anything has been said/done to all those restaurants that keep a million goldfish in a small tank....and the tanks are usually so dirty!

Aquariums are like jello - there's always room for more.
Old 10-17-2005, 03:39 PM   #34
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Hey Guys,

Wanted to give you an update on what I had accomplised with Peta and as of yet nothing. I gave them a few days so I finally called thier phone number and reached a nice young girl who was really helpful. I explained to her the situation and also what I was hoping to accomplish. She recognized my name from some writing I had done for Peta and gave me the email address to the person who is get this - "Head of thier Aquarium Campagin." So not only are they writing articles against aquariums they now have a whole aquarium campaign.

To make a long story short I emailed this person the letter and am really hoping for a good response!! Ill keep you posted.
Old 10-17-2005, 03:42 PM   #35
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via Yahoo to PBirdsong
Wow Macman! Please let us know what happens. And don't worry, if they want to "throw down" we got your back.

Aquarium campaign . . . ? Great . . .
Old 10-17-2005, 03:49 PM   #36
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Yeah, I read the girl I talked to the letter and she liked it . She confessed to having an aquarium and thought the article on thier site went "over-board." Although my assumption is this campaign head will have a different view. Only time will tell.
Old 10-17-2005, 03:52 PM   #37
Aquarium Advice Addict

I still think that PETA's barking up the wrong tree on this issue. Although there are some questionable practices in the aquarium fish breeding industry, I think that aquarists as a whole are very environmentally conscious. They should selectively target the questionable breeding/dyeing practices - not the entire hobby. Alienating the very people who can effect change from within the hobby is not the way to go. Whoever picks and chooses PETA's battle really goofed this one up.

Macman, please keep us posted.
Old 10-17-2005, 03:54 PM   #38
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I couldnt agree more Qtoffer. I am hoping to change thier approach on this one - the last thing I want is Peta to get some insane government sanction passed that totally ruins the aquarium hobby we love. I am going to try to talk to them about the way this is being handled. Big ambitions I know but you gotta start someone - ill keep you guys posted.
Old 10-17-2005, 04:13 PM   #39
AA Team Emeritus

I have heard that there is a similar "Anti-Aquarium" Campaign in England, probably London. I cannot recall the details but it centered on banning aquariums.

Thanks for keeping up with this Macman.
Old 10-17-2005, 10:17 PM   #40
Aquarium Advice Addict

ok they want to free all animals right? what in the world would a chicken do in the wild? there are currently more chickens that humans in the world so if u released them all into the wild i am pretty sure that they would wipe out another species of something. forests can only give so much food to only a certain amout of animals. if all the chickens in the world were released then they would over populate forests stripping all the food from thoses areas and then in return killing the animals that originally lived in these areas. i disagree with KFC because they do mistreat there chickens pretty bad but i still eat it lol. there are soo many differnt animals that if they were released they would over populate everything. i mean there are alot of cows in the world, just imagine if they were all wonder around the country i am pretty sure that some would make it near roads and then BOOM there goes a cow and more than likely the people in the car. it would be one big vicious cycle if all animals were liberated and in the end would cause the dimise of alot more animals than was already happening.

Tags
tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com