PETA' Stance on Aquariums

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
macman7010 said:
i really dont see the humor in that.
That's because you are an adult. I already mentioned that it was childish and infantile. It's also somewhat childish to be afraid of PETA's actions against you because your opinions differ from theirs (the mention of sending PETA a link to this thread). Lighten up.

Once again, the thread is going a little off-topic. Mentioning the hacking of websites is not something that this forum condones.

Let's try to keep the topic in focus.

Regarless if it was inteded as a joke or not further discussion about illegal activity will result in this topic being locked.

I dont care how much you disagree with what a person or group stands for there is no logic in breaking the law.

I feel ashamed that this discussion would even degrade into what its slowly becomming. There are many orginizations out there that are trying to fight the mispreception that the aquarium hobby is destrorying our natural habitats. If you want to fight PETA on their stance with aquariums then donate or support these orginizations. In the MACNA posts I have linked to many of these such orginizations. The 'movers and shakers' of this hobby are very aware of the conservation movement and desire to move along with it to develop sustanable harvest techniques where captive breeding is not a possiblity.

I'm sorry. I was simply responding to the following...

Toirtis said:
PBirdsong said:
You should email them a link to this thread . . . :lol:

Very much not....you have no idea just how much trouble for AA that could cause....PETA has many less than ethical persons on their side....we hardly need to be hacked.

AND
talloulou said:
Exactly you don't want hand us over as one of the groups to target for their whole "anti-aquarium" crusade!

And was replying that they probably have more concerns with their own security and gave an example of what type of threats they may be facing. If I knew it was going to be misinterpreted or possibly read on it's own and out of context, with no thought of the previous posts, then I probably wouldn't have posted it.

As far as it "degrading into what it's becoming", this topic deals with the views of an organization that is not only proud of it's extreme tactics, but promotes destructive acts to further it's own agenda. With extreme groups you are going to have an extreme reaction of differing opinions. It's like the old Bush/Kerry or God/Evolution "discussions". People's thoughts and emotions are too strong to have good debate over topics like this. If over-moderated, you end up with watered down comments that hardly encompass the whole of the topic and end up with a very distorted view of what's really happening or how people actually feel about something. It's like saying "This is an important matter. We better not talk about it (or at the very most, just dance around it).".

All political and religious topics that I've seen on this board have the word "locked" located in at least one post within if not an actual lock on the topic itself. At one point I remember seeing a post stating that people were not allowed to start political posts anymore. Maybe topics about extremist groups (relevant to the hobby or not) should be "banned" also so that they won't offend anyone not mature enough to realize that people have differing opinions of different strength and that they are all valid on some level?

deli_conker said:
If I knew it was going to be misinterpreted or possibly read on it's own and out of context, with no thought of the previous posts, then I probably wouldn't have posted it.

Same here. :roll:

fishfreek said:
Bad mouthing an orginization does nothing than to simply incite those whom suport the orginization.

Very true. Example: ". . . even if an individual aquarium keeper is kind and provides an amazing environment for his or her fish, buying those fish still contributed to the suffering and death of many other fish."

Is this a PETA comment?

The proper comeback for such a comment is something like this.

"This might be true and that is why its imperitive that everyone from the local retailers to the collectors understand how important it is to be educated about what they are collecting, selling and for the hobbists what they are keeping. If this means turning away a customer because the retailer feels they dont have the knowlege needed to provide for that fish, coral, plant or invert than so beit."

Only thru a consentrated education program can we change some of the negitive views that non hobbists have. The arguement made above can be turned around and made for all domesticated pets. Dogs, Cats, Birds, Rodents, etc.

have you guys ever spoken with steve curosoe on Reef Central, we had a huge thread going about this issue

PETA looks at everything through blood colored glasses. They need to choose their battles, not attack everything and everyone who has ever eaten, had as a pet or looked cross-eyed at an animal. They are attacking all aquarists as cruel gains enemies, not friends. If people had no experience with animals they would not care about them and wouldn't want to protect them. Is a lion cruel for eating an antelope? Is the bigger fish cruel for eating the smaller fish?

The following is typed/posted only in jest:
How dare PETA and vegetarians be so Kingdomist-it's bad to eat animals but okay to subjugate plants and use them for their own selfish purposes. If they want to compare cruelty, at least my beef was killed-after ripping them from their mother-plant and natural environment, they eat their apples alive. Trees are people too.
Eat a vegan, save a soybean.
(I actually have some vegetarian/vegan acquaintances-one laughed so hard at that last one she almost tossed her tofu.)

i found an awsome game that the PETA members might enjoy. i am pretty sure that this will end up locking the thread so all i will say is dont go to it if u are with PETA. this link is only intended for those who dont fully support PETA and can understand a joke. dont take this literally as something someone would actually do.

http://www.newsandentertainment.com/zFkittencannon.html

P.S. the name of this game is called kitty cannon so use common sense before going to it.

Kitten cannon is old. I liked nanaca crash better. Mostly because it was in Japanese and I had no real idea about what was going on.

I'm also sure that you're going to get yelled at for posting such a site. Bad Mr. Funk.

Oh yeah, I rule kitten cannon. Almost a half mile...

untitled.jpg

mr funktastic said:
i am pretty sure that this will end up locking the thread ...

Is that your purpose in posting this? :?: :?

The thread will remain open unless the discussion turns nasty, or drifts far off topic.
And the topic is PETA's view of the aquarium hobby. :wink:

it wasnt my intention to lock the thread but it seems that it takes very little to set of the poeple who are on PETA's side so i was just saying that if an advisor takes offense to this then it would more that likely lock the thread.

Im just going to interject something here that I have observed. Some of you might know about a thread or two on this site about Fish bowls and a country 'banning' them. In the thread there are members suggesting that the US do the same thing for carinvals and the like. I say to myself "this sounds like something PETA would say". Of course they will always take it to the most extreme but still the stance of banning or prohibiting the use of goldfish as prizes for carnival side shows is IMO a good thing and is something PETA most likly would support.

So I just wanted to say that if you talk bad about PETA in this thread and turn around and support something PETA would be for by suggesting prohibiting the use of goldfish as prizes in carnivals one has to wonder what side your on. For PETA or aganst PETA.

What you realize is that in most instances nearly every one of us here is for PETA in some respects. Now that does not mean you support everything they do and standfor either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom