Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Closed Thread
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 10-13-2005, 12:25 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic
Send a message via Yahoo to Pufferpunk
PETA' Stance on Aquariums

The Puffer Forum

Pufferpunk's Tanks
Old 10-13-2005, 12:33 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus
They got this right:
Originally Posted by PETA
If you already have fish, you can make their lives easier by providing them with an environment that is as much like their natural habitat as possible. While captive fish can never live natural lives, the following tips will help ensure that they are as happy as possible:

• The more space that fish have, the happier and healthier they will be. Their needs can vary, so check with an expert or consult a good fish book or expert to determine their requirements. One general guideline is that you should provide 3 gallons for every 1 inch of fish.
• Treat tap water properly before putting it in the aquarium, as most municipal water has chlorine in it, which can kill fish. The type of chemicals that you should use depends on your area’s water. Consult with a local tropical fish supply store to determine the proper treatment.
• Different types of fish require different pH levels. Check the pH level daily for the first month and weekly thereafter.
• A filter to remove waste particles and noxious chemicals from the water is essential. Live plants help with this task and provide oxygen, shelter, hiding places, and the occasional snack.
• A properly working air pump is necessary to provide oxygen.
• Fish need a constant temperature, generally between 68°F and 76°F, but you should check with a fish supply store for information that is specific to the type of fish that you are keeping. Automatic aquarium heaters monitor the water temperature and turn the heater on and off as needed. Attaching a small thermometer to the tank will help you ensure that the heater is functioning properly.
• The natural waste of fish emits ammonia, which can accumulate to toxic levels, so clean the tank regularly, but never empty the tank completely. Be sure to clean the glass well with a pad or a brush to prevent algae growth.
• Create places for the fish to hide in and explore. Ceramic objects, natural rocks, and plants work well. Make sure that all objects are thoroughly cleaned and disinfected before they are put into the tank. Do not use metal objects, as they will rust.
• Be aware of the environment outside the aquarium. Suddenly switching on a bright light in a dark room can startle fish, and vibrations from a television or a stereo can alarm and stress them.
• Keep all harmful chemicals away from the aquarium. Cigarette smoke, paint fumes, and aerosol sprays can be toxic if they are absorbed into the water.
• The aquarium should be in a spot where temperature and light are constant and controllable. Tropical fish supply stores may be able to advise you on the best amount of light for the fish you are keeping. Remember that direct sunlight and drafts from nearby doors or windows can change the water temperature, and fumes from a nearby kitchen or workshop can injure the fish.
• Don’t overfeed! Uneaten food and waste material are broken down into ammonia and nitrites, which are toxic. One expert recommends providing only as much food as your fish can eat in 30 seconds.
• If a fish seems sick or lethargic, take him or her to a vet. Fish can be medicated, anesthetized, given shots, and operated on, just like other animals. Take along a separate sample of the tank water.
• Most fish enjoy companionship. If you have a single fish, check with friends and neighbors to find another loner to adopt—but don’t support the fish trade by going to a dealer.
As we all know, the aquarium trade is alive and well. Keep getting the message out about proper care and feeding to ensure healthy fish.

Old 10-13-2005, 01:54 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict
Is it OK if I accept the message, but reject the messenger?
I couldn't agree more with PETA's stance against cyanide reef harvesting, feeder fish conditions, fish dyeing, and betta vases. But I wonder what PETA's stance is on pet dogs, cats, birds, mice, degus, rabbits, etc. Obviously all of these animals are "robbed of their natural habitats and denied the ability to travel freely" too. The folks at PETA should all hold their breath indefinitely - with each inhalation, they are imprisoning and killing thousands of innocent microbes - and that's just plain cruel.
Old 10-13-2005, 02:15 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus
The folks at PETA should all hold their breath indefinitely - with each inhalation, they are imprisoning and killing thousands of innocent microbes - and that's just plain cruel.
Andy, you crack me up! Who thought a microbiologist/chemist/assistant professor guy could also have a sense of humor!?? I must say, your best material is delivered when it's really late! I'm going to look for microbes to save. Opps, I just stepped on a colony.

Old 10-13-2005, 02:47 AM   #5
AA Team Emeritus
I believe PETA is against the "enslavement" of all animals, including pets.

There was a great Penn & Teller bit on PETA some time ago (available on the net) collecting info from the public domain and pointing out the hypocrisy, including the classic quote from VP Mary Beth Sweetland:
I am an insulin-dependant diabetic. Twice a day I take synthetically manufactured insulin that still contains some animal products – and I have no qualms about it… I don’t see myself as a hypocrite. I need my life to fight for the rights of animals
"2- before attempting to plant, have a beer or a Bourbon. That will help to steady your hands" -- elwaine

Old 10-13-2005, 04:05 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict
Send a message via Yahoo to shawmutt
7 Things You Didn't Know About PETA

Interesting quotes from PETA

I try to avoid any group that goes to extremes. A couple of these seemed outlandish to me, especially number 4 on the top list, so I did some snooping on peta's site and got it straight from the horse's mouth:

~Mike Shaw
Shawmutt.com. Blogs and Pictures of the Massively Multiplayer Offline game, Real Life.
Old 10-13-2005, 07:11 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict
I think all would agree that depopulating any environment of its natural fauna is not a good thing. However, one could make the case that an individual fish has a better chance of survival in an aquarium than in nature.
Old 10-13-2005, 09:39 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Wow, after reading that I'm starting to feel so terrible about the enslavement of my poor dogs. It's so awful that they have to stay in a warm house in the winter, eat the best premium dog food, and have lots of love, hugs, and kisses. :P

Menagerie and Toirtis, you may be the worst offenders of all!
Old 10-13-2005, 09:42 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict
Send a message via Yahoo to deli_conker
I wish I lived in a city that had PETA protests. I'd show up with a bucket of KFC. Mmmmm. Extra crispy.

If it's barbaric to eat meat, then call me Attilla and pass the gravy.
Old 10-13-2005, 10:11 AM   #10
AA Team Emeritus
I've said it before... and I'll say it again...

Peta... it's what you put your steak in!

Acronyms and Abbreviations
Closed Thread

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com