PetFinder.com

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TheCrazyFishLady

Aquarium Advice Addict
Has anyone had any issues with this site?

I posted my BTS on there to rehome him, since Craigslist.com is turning up with very few interests and this site is full of scammers! I get at least four e-mails every single of day of super sketchy inquiries that are obviously written by someone who does not understand English. In the past two weeks, I have not gotten a single serious person. I have tried replying to some of the e-mails to see if I can get anything back and I get them wanting me to ship him to Malaysia, India, Korea, etc.

This is ridiculous. I am going to (finally) delete my account.

I got a few phone calls from people who have crazy thick accents wanting me to ship to Washington and Kansas and Missouri. I'm doubting that is were he will actually end up.

One of the e-mails:

May the peace of the Lord be with you,

With sound of good health. Am a family orientated woman and want to seek for your indulgence on your loving pet.Am Rhonda Smith by name.I reside in
Beverly Hills CA with my husband,my 11 yrs old daughter and we live in our own owned house. I can assure you a loving and hospitality home for your
pet.My family will love to give your pet a loving home and not only a lovely home, also as a member of the family which means the pet will be treated like
our child Could you be kind enough to give me an appraisal of it:
Health records/present health condition?
your last asking price ahead of time?
Am not here to bargain, rather I'll make the best offer. Because i know the value of pet and my daughter can't wait to see the pet in the house.looking
forward to hear from you.Have a pleasant day
Stay Blessed

Mr&Mrs Smith

Pets become a part of our hearts-
we adopt them as family right from the start.
We cast all our love on their kind, gentle souls, but, like you and I- they
too, grow old.
When we grow tired and weary, God gave us a choice- we have doctor's and
care, but our pets have no voice.
We may understand why we're changing this way, but a creature's language is
shown in his actions each day.
What they do with their bodies, how they act towards a friend- is their way
of saying their time's at an end.
And, as wonderful a gift as our "Free Will" can be, It pains us to choose
our loved pet's destiny.
When we see them in pain, our hearts say one thing- when we see them lash
out, we deny what truth rings.
For we don't want to lose the precious one that we've loved- but like humans
on earth they'll live on up above.
Oh. I know how you weep at making this choice- as you speak for your pet as
he has no voice.
You are kind, you are loving, and I know you have tried- to ration and
reason with the truth that's inside.
No one said life was easy, of this we can say- and I know you're heart's
breaking on this tragic day.
But, trust in your heart what your instincts have said- That God is guiding
you amongst all your dread.
I weep for you now as I know your heart aches- but my love is with you as
your decision you make.
God gave you the gift of some wonderful years- with a pet who was healthy
and healed many tears.
But now it's his time, for he's not the same pet- and I say this with
sadness, with tears and regret.
"For every thing there's a season," remember, and then, "A place for every
purpose, under Heaven."

It's just tons of these e-mails wanting more information on my "pet" never my lizard, never my BTS, never my reptile, herp, etc. It is always "pet". These are just mass messages sent out, from what I have researched.

Has anyone successfully adopted from this site or had your pet adopted? Either way, I'm only dealing with Craigslist.com from now on. This is ridiculous.

Those are just scams. Not sure why they do it, other than the fact that almost any animal can be sold to labs.

I have successfully adopted and rehomed using petfinder. It's still the best source. Just delete the crazy ones and interview the good ones and you'll do fine.

That's the problem, I am yet to get a good offer.

It is good to know that there are some actual people on that site. My father has been looking through it for a dog to get in the near future.

Do you have an adoption fee? If not, you'll get all the crazies. People like me, who practically rescue dogs for a living, don't take people seriously unless they request a fee.

Feel free to give me a link to your advertisement, I'll check it over for you and see where you might tweak it to get better results. :)

This is not a common animal to be put up for adoption.

Whenever they don't mention the actual name of the item its probably a scam.

Like:
Hello,
I'm interested in your pet.

SCAM! LOL

Wow, I adopted some leopard geckos from there once and it was fine. I am currently looking for a dog too, but I will only adopt a dog from a shelter/rescue in my area that I know is legit. I have seen some scam listings before from people who bred their dogs on purpose and use petfinder to sell the puppies but call it an adoption. Sorry, but $800 is not an adoption (unless it is to pay for leg amputation surgery or something). I have never tried to put anything up for adoption though. I didn't know that the scams worked the other way too! That first letter you included was pretty ridiculous!

I did put up an adoption fee and explicitly stated no shipping and only deals locally. I got fed up and deleted my ad. Tried to figure out how to delete my account, since the e-mails are still flooding. I really hope they didn't sell my e-mail or it got out to all these scammers...

It takes days to delete an ad you place. You may have to delete it multiple times.

Try working with your local shelter to adopt it out. They probably have people on a list waiting for adoptions like that. Ask at the local vet if you can post on their bulletin board.

It takes days to delete an ad you place. You may have to delete it multiple times.

Try working with your local shelter to adopt it out. They probably have people on a list waiting for adoptions like that. Ask at the local vet if you can post on their bulletin board.
You can also try your local newspaper or petstore.

Yup. I am selling a cracked tank on Craig's List and recently got a reply that asked if I was still selling my "thing", and saying that I had a "thrilling" way of writing, and would I like to meet a wealthy, but lonely, man?

Please, does anyone actually fall for that?

I'm jealous! No one offered a lonely, wealthy man needing company...

Anyways, I contacted them and they claim they deleted my account for me. It's still up and my ad is gone but still the scammers are e-mailing!! I have tried e-mailing them back, but nothing. Like, actually acting like I will sell it to them just to see a response, but no replies. How exactly do they scam you out of your pet? Either that or ANON is after me. haha

By the way, I got a guy very close to where I live wanting him once he gets some money together at the end of the month. He sounded pretty legit, but still getting my boyfriend to do it. I watched that Lifetime movie about the Craigslist killer.

I'm jealous! No one offered a lonely, wealthy man needing company...

Anyways, I contacted them and they claim they deleted my account for me. It's still up and my ad is gone but still the scammers are e-mailing!! I have tried e-mailing them back, but nothing. Like, actually acting like I will sell it to them just to see a response, but no replies. How exactly do they scam you out of your pet? Either that or ANON is after me. haha

By the way, I got a guy very close to where I live wanting him once he gets some money together at the end of the month. He sounded pretty legit, but still getting my boyfriend to do it. I watched that Lifetime movie about the Craigslist killer.
Lol, I saw that too.

I have tried e-mailing them back, but nothing. Like, actually acting like I will sell it to them just to see a response, but no replies.

DO NOT EMAIL THEM! Sometimes that alone is enough for them to access your personal information or squirt a virus into your computer. Treat them as you would all other scammers/spammers. Block the address and delete the email.

How exactly do they scam you out of your pet?

Unfortunately, the ones who just need you to respond to their email in order to grab your info have done it. The ones who do respond and are actually able to adopt the pet sell them to labs or use them for other really bad things. You do not want to know.

Back
Top Bottom