Pets at home

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

charlie1990

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi

Does anyone else have the problem of when you walk into a pets at home the staff all tell you different things and don't seem to know much about fish.

I got told that I couldn't have 2 danios in my 50L tank because i already had 4 in there but the next time I went in I was told I could have about 10 more
Overall I have had about 5 different answers from different members of staff.

Leaving a bit confused I phoned around local pet stores and got a clearer answer but I am wondering if any other stores are like this.

Hi

Does anyone else have the problem of when you walk into a pets at home the staff all tell you different things and don't seem to know much about fish.

I got told that I couldn't have 2 danios in my 50L tank because i already had 4 in there but the next time I went in I was told I could have about 10 more
Overall I have had about 5 different answers from different members of staff.

Leaving a bit confused I phoned around local pet stores and got a clearer answer but I am wondering if any other stores are like this.

Sounds like your version of Petco / Petsmart:banghead: Good to know we have one more thing in common:D Pet-store stupidity, inconsistency and ineptitude is really a uniting force:dance:

Trying to get a consistent answer from some of these stores is like:deadhorse:

Oh yess! Pets at Home is only good for dry goods. Sometimes if you ask what day the fish are delivered you will get a good buy. But otherwise...I wouldn't go there much.

I have a ma and pa lfs here that I usually stop into once a week. He usually has some nice looking fish and most of the things that I need. But I've learned that he actually doesn't know much about fish. Must hire someone to take care of he fish while he takes care of the business end. Nice guy but ....

Even though I don't need anymore, I always check out his goldfish because they are my favorite. He must have just gotten a new shipment, had three tanks full of goldies. However all three tanks were labled as Orandas, when he actually had one tank of orandas, one tank of fan tails and one tank of ryukins. I was telling that the tanks were mislabled and which fish were which. He never even HEARD of a ryukin! Oh well.

I know not to ask questions of lfs staff anyway, so no great loss I guess!

Your best source of advice is right here. No one here is trying to make a buck off of you, and the main reason people are here is because they really love the hobby and want to help others enjoy it as well. You may get conflicting opinions, but at least they are sincere opinions!

You could almost get a hamster for your fishtank from some 'multi-pet' supply stores ! You are much better off (as are the fish) going to an aquatics centre where they do just fish stuff.

We find that one store offers useful advice. The other doesn't seem to know a cat from a fish!
This is pets at home.
The Stoke store and Stockport stores seem to be the best for knowledge.

Personally I would avoid Pets at Home like the plague for livestock. The last time I was there (Aylesbury, to get some dog food) they had dead fish in 3 of their tanks. There was nobody around so I told the guy at the counter when I paid and his response was........(drum roll please)
" Yeah, they were dead when we came in this morning"
I was there at about 2pm!!!!

Ickletas said:
Personally I would avoid Pets at Home like the plague for livestock. The last time I was there (Aylesbury, to get some dog food) they had dead fish in 3 of their tanks. There was nobody around so I told the guy at the counter when I paid and his response was........(drum roll please)
" Yeah, they were dead when we came in this morning"
I was there at about 2pm!!!!

That's just wrong!
They really shouldn't bother selling fish if they can't Be bothered to remove dead ones.
Quite often there's one minimum dead in each tank. We did see one tank with at least 5 dead. The others didn't look very well either!!

Well we was in petsmart hare awhile back and I noticed a few dead fish that looked like they had been there a while and when I told the guy about them he was just like
"Yea I know I will get them later" and walked off I was very upset and so we left haven't been back since

I am never going back to pets at home.
Two fish in just over a week. Dead.
Poor Jackson (shark). No warning. He just died. I put a pic up if anyone could help determine what it could be. I'd be grateful.

titchrules said:
I am never going back to pets at home.
Two fish in just over a week. Dead.
Poor Jackson (shark). No warning. He just died. I put a pic up if anyone could help determine what it could be. I'd be grateful.

What are your tank parameters?

Mogurako said:
What are your tank parameters?

They have been fine since we started to put fish in. Never had a problem. I will be en route to get a test done today.
I havnt been able to afford a test kit I'm afraid :(

There is a girl at my local pets at home store that is really helpful, and generally knows what she's talking about.
Every time I go in, I look for her. She's usually serving someone, and has a little que waiting for her whilst the other staff just stand there. So, other customers must have the same idea as me :)

There is a girl at my local pets at home store that is really helpful, and generally knows what she's talking about.
Every time I go in, I look for her. She's usually serving someone, and has a little que waiting for her whilst the other staff just stand there. So, other customers must have the same idea as me :)

that's exactly the same as at my Pets At Home! There is one girl who knows what she is talking about and has a queue behind her! haha, lol!

Another thing about "Pets at Home.."
Their tanks are linked..
I was told this, but saw it for myself the other week..
They had a sign up on their tanks saying,"No fish sales until further notice."

Obviously having a problem, and under treatment..(Hopefully..!)

By the way, wasn't in there to buy fish, was just comparing prices on water-testing kits.

Back
Top Bottom