Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-30-2011, 05:10 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Pets at home

Hi

Does anyone else have the problem of when you walk into a pets at home the staff all tell you different things and don't seem to know much about fish.

I got told that I couldn't have 2 danios in my 50L tank because i already had 4 in there but the next time I went in I was told I could have about 10 more
Overall I have had about 5 different answers from different members of staff.

Leaving a bit confused I phoned around local pet stores and got a clearer answer but I am wondering if any other stores are like this.

Old 05-30-2011, 05:27 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Yes sir, the Petco here is just like that.

Old 05-30-2011, 10:39 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to jcolon Send a message via Skype™ to jcolon
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie1990 View Post
Hi

Does anyone else have the problem of when you walk into a pets at home the staff all tell you different things and don't seem to know much about fish.

I got told that I couldn't have 2 danios in my 50L tank because i already had 4 in there but the next time I went in I was told I could have about 10 more
Overall I have had about 5 different answers from different members of staff.

Leaving a bit confused I phoned around local pet stores and got a clearer answer but I am wondering if any other stores are like this.
Sounds like your version of Petco / Petsmart Good to know we have one more thing in common Pet-store stupidity, inconsistency and ineptitude is really a uniting force

Trying to get a consistent answer from some of these stores is like
Old 05-30-2011, 02:12 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

POTM Champion

Oh yess! Pets at Home is only good for dry goods. Sometimes if you ask what day the fish are delivered you will get a good buy. But otherwise...I wouldn't go there much.
Old 05-30-2011, 02:34 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

I have a ma and pa lfs here that I usually stop into once a week. He usually has some nice looking fish and most of the things that I need. But I've learned that he actually doesn't know much about fish. Must hire someone to take care of he fish while he takes care of the business end. Nice guy but ....

Even though I don't need anymore, I always check out his goldfish because they are my favorite. He must have just gotten a new shipment, had three tanks full of goldies. However all three tanks were labled as Orandas, when he actually had one tank of orandas, one tank of fan tails and one tank of ryukins. I was telling that the tanks were mislabled and which fish were which. He never even HEARD of a ryukin! Oh well.

I know not to ask questions of lfs staff anyway, so no great loss I guess!
Old 05-31-2011, 08:33 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

Your best source of advice is right here. No one here is trying to make a buck off of you, and the main reason people are here is because they really love the hobby and want to help others enjoy it as well. You may get conflicting opinions, but at least they are sincere opinions!
Old 06-02-2011, 08:31 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist

You could almost get a hamster for your fishtank from some 'multi-pet' supply stores ! You are much better off (as are the fish) going to an aquatics centre where they do just fish stuff.
Old 06-13-2011, 12:13 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Regular

We find that one store offers useful advice. The other doesn't seem to know a cat from a fish!
This is pets at home.
The Stoke store and Stockport stores seem to be the best for knowledge.
Old 06-16-2011, 11:04 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

Personally I would avoid Pets at Home like the plague for livestock. The last time I was there (Aylesbury, to get some dog food) they had dead fish in 3 of their tanks. There was nobody around so I told the guy at the counter when I paid and his response was........(drum roll please)
" Yeah, they were dead when we came in this morning"
I was there at about 2pm!!!!
Old 06-16-2011, 02:17 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ickletas
Personally I would avoid Pets at Home like the plague for livestock. The last time I was there (Aylesbury, to get some dog food) they had dead fish in 3 of their tanks. There was nobody around so I told the guy at the counter when I paid and his response was........(drum roll please)
" Yeah, they were dead when we came in this morning"
I was there at about 2pm!!!!
That's just wrong!
They really shouldn't bother selling fish if they can't Be bothered to remove dead ones.
Quite often there's one minimum dead in each tank. We did see one tank with at least 5 dead. The others didn't look very well either!!

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com