Ph adjustments

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Athaocity

Aquarium Advice Freak
Ok, when I first started fish keeping with plastic plants and decor, I'd use these ph that keeps my ph @ 7.0
Now I have a planted tank w/ live plants

The other day I was @ my lfs looking @ the ph stuff and some say
"do not use in planted aquariums" ( it was in a cylinder bottle, and instead of fizz tabs, it is powder)

So then I was confused. And started questioning myself,

"Wait so what are you supposed to use to keep ph @ a certain ph level? Buffers?"

" when u start a new planted tank and go through the cycling stages, what about the ph? Do I just not use any ph buffers or Do I use ph down/ up buffers? Peat and dw?"

I am so confused, as of now in my 20 gal, I use jungle brand ph 7.0 fizz tabs, and it does not say " do not use in planted tanks"

Your pH Question

Ok, when I first started fish keeping with plastic plants and decor, I'd use these ph that keeps my ph @ 7.0
Now I have a planted tank w/ live plants

The other day I was @ my lfs looking @ the ph stuff and some say
"do not use in planted aquariums" ( it was in a cylinder bottle, and instead of fizz tabs, it is powder)

So then I was confused. And started questioning myself,

"Wait so what are you supposed to use to keep ph @ a certain ph level? Buffers?"

" when u start a new planted tank and go through the cycling stages, what about the ph? Do I just not use any ph buffers or Do I use ph down/ up buffers? Peat and dw?"

I am so confused, as of now in my 20 gal, I use jungle brand ph 7.0 fizz tabs, and it does not say " do not use in planted tanks"

Hello A...

I've been keeping heavily planted, heavily stocked tanks for several years and have never worried about my tap water, other than to do large, weekly water changes.

I was told when I started in the tank keeping hobby, that the vast majority of aquatic fish and plants will do fine in the vast majority of municipal water supplies. As long as the pH is constant, then the fish and plants will adapt.

I don't see a reason to keep the water neutral. That seems like a lot of work. I just treat my replacement tap water with the usual additive that detoxifies the ammonia, chlorine and chloramine, syphon it into the tank and I'm done until next week.

Pretty simple.

B

BBradbury said:
Hello A...

I've been keeping heavily planted, heavily stocked tanks for several years and have never worried about my tap water, other than to do large, weekly water changes.

I was told when I started in the tank keeping hobby, that the vast majority of aquatic fish and plants will do fine in the vast majority of municipal water supplies. As long as the pH is constant, then the fish and plants will adapt.

I don't see a reason to keep the water neutral. That seems like a lot of work. I just treat my replacement tap water with the usual additive that detoxifies the ammonia, chlorine and chloramine, syphon it into the tank and I'm done until next week.

Pretty simple.

B

It is a lot more work, so I guess you don't use any ph stuff then, just stuff to clean the water like dechlorinator etc?

DO NOT use any pH altering chemicals in any of your tanks! Is is better to have a stable pH (that you fish will adapt to) than an chemically altered pH. The pH chemicals can cause huge pH fluctuations that can stress or kill fish. The chemicals themselves are even poison your fish. Go out and buy yourself a good dechlorinator like Prime. Fresh dechlorinated water is all you need to add to your tank.

Mumma.of.two said:
DO NOT use any pH altering chemicals in any of your tanks! Is is better to have a stable pH (that you fish will adapt to) than an chemically altered pH. The pH chemicals can cause huge pH fluctuations that can stress or kill fish. The chemicals themselves are even poison your fish. Go out and buy yourself a good dechlorinator like Prime. Fresh dechlorinated water is all you need to add to your tank.

Yes thank you! My problem is solved.

Mumma.of.two said:
You can add peat to the filter, add driftwood (won't do much usually) or cut you tap water with RO/DI water.

Ok so it is peat then,

Why would you want to alter the water when it is not necessary? Unless you have water so hard it hurts when you it hits you in the shower, or so basic that it burns you, the fish will be fine 99% of the time if acclimated properly.

Mumma.of.two said:
What fish do you have? Why do you want to lower your pH and hardness? What is you pH normally?

I have 10 harlequins, 2 corys, 1 betta and 1 amano shrimp in a 20 long. I use a API ph liquid tester and it always read 7.6 and higher.

image-2817705531.jpg

I do water changes every Friday, and if I can't do it Friday I do it on sat.
I also use jungle brand dechlorinator.

Does your test kit not have the High Range pH test? My pH is a stable 8.3 and my fish are doing fine.

Athaocity said:
I have 10 harlequins, 2 corys, 1 betta and 1 amano shrimp in a 20 long. I use a API ph liquid tester and it always read 7.6 and higher.

I do water changes every Friday, and if I can't do it Friday I do it on sat.
I also use jungle brand dechlorinator.

No need to change the pH they will be perfectly fine. As holly asked, have you got the high range pH test? I keep harlequins, bettas and cories all at 7.6-7.8 pH and they are thriving!

If you get the API Master test kit, it includes the high-range test. But regardless, you should be fine with the pH you've got.

Hholly said:
If you get the API Master test kit, it includes the high-range test. But regardless, you should be fine with the pH you've got.

Ok thanks

Back
Top Bottom