pl*co and pleco...why do i see * sometimes?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Pl*co is a way of writing it because some think that by spelling it right their pleco will die...its just a myth I guess....or something like that...

hrm. i don't get it. i have never heard that rumor

Yeah, supposedly if you spell out pleco yours will die the next night or something.

I really don't care about it though...PLECO!!! so..mine didn't die..well I don't have any to begin with :p.

One of the strangest myths i've heard though

Read about that somewhere .... Way back in the beginning of usenets, people were having a discussion on plecos .... apparently those users all have their plecos die (an urban legend perhaps?). It was then decided that talking about plecos must be bad luck, so they type pl*co instead. Some how this story got entrenched in people's minds and now we see the "pl*co" rather frequently.

holy crap, i just said "pleco" out loud, and suddenly a swarm of piranahs appeared in my tank, killed him, and disappeared... guess it is true

:lach:

Now I don't have plecos, but I've had them and I typed pleco 100's of times here, and no, they did NOT die. (I returned them to lfs :) )

jsoong is essentially correct but it was one usenet user in particular who started this issue. He had written something about his pleco and it was dead the next day. He shared his story and began writing pl*co as a substitute. Why he chose to drop the letter 'e'? I cannot recall that part.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom