Planted Vs. Corals

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Wait so you guys are saying that if i offered you a 125 gallon reef tank filled with amazing corals and fish, you would prefer the 125 gallon planted tank filled with a huge piece of drift wood, whatever fish you like, and tons of plants?

Maintaining the Reef tank is going to be the issue. Maintaining a planted tank is basically only a couple cents from your water bill and a couple cents from your lighting bill.

Ziggs180 said:
Maintaining the Reef tank is going to be the issue. Maintaining a planted tank is basically only a couple cents from your water bill and a couple cents from your lighting bill.

+1 for price.

I don't think it's that bad maintaining a reef tank. Then again I only have a BC29 but... 5 gallon water changes every week isn't that bad. A few tests weekly and dosing of necessary.

I also have a 75 gallon mixed African Cichlid tank with about 40+ Anubias, I know those are easy plants I just wanted to show that I have both SW and FW and hands down I'm in love with my SW and have thought more then a few times of turning my 75 into a really nice SW tank.

No. Some may be, but there are a lot of FW fish that are more sensitive than certain SW fish. Also, for anyone who says reef is harder than planted... you aint doing it right.

TankMan said:
Is it true that SW fish are more sensitive than FW fish?

I'd say (and I'm no expert) but... That probably can go for both SW and FW. I mean yeah you have to drip acclimate SW fish and for FW fish you float the bag for a little then add some tank water and continue to float then add fish...

But I'm sure there are sensitive FW fish as well....

But so far... My BC29 has been up for 6 months and it's heavily stocked with all kinds of corals and it's been a breeze. My FW tank takes more time to maintain by far.

mfdrookie516 said:
Not quite... if they're done correctly, they're both very time consuming

Well I was just referring to once the tank is properly cycled, the time required to maintain it is minimal (not the acclimating of fish.... That IS time consuming ) :)

mfdrookie516 said:
No. Some may be, but there are a lot of FW fish that are more sensitive than certain SW fish. Also, for anyone who says reef is harder than planted... you aint doing it right.

+1 to rookie..and convict

Want to know my scheduale for me 66 gallon salt? Do a water change every 2-3 weeks, feed every other day, and add nori on the days i dont feed. I occasionally go over the tank with a magfloat..but i really have no algae. Now, i dont know what you all do for your planted tanks..but for me this is as easy as tieing my shoes.

As for the whole "sw fish are tougher to keep" idea, also..not totally true. Now, im not saying you dont have those fish in the trade, such as the moorish idol or blue tang that arent hard to deal with..but for the record, i have 2 clowns, a chalk bass, engineer goby, and one spot foxface. All
Are perfectly healthy. Never any issues. Those are the only fish i have ever bought (havent lost one).

I rambled again and prob repeated some stuff..but its all true!

Yea maintenance for my planted tank is a 80% pwc every week, scrubbing the algae from the walls, putting in root tabs, dosing flourish, cutting back my aponogeton crispus every now and then, redoing my DIY co2 bottles every 2 weeks, and feeding every day but Saturday.
Considerably more lol x.x

paytertot said:
Yea maintenance for my planted tank is a 80% pwc every week, scrubbing the algae from the walls, putting in root tabs, dosing flourish, cutting back my aponogeton crispus every now and then, redoing my DIY co2 bottles every 2 weeks, and feeding every day but Saturday.
Considerably more lol x.x

That's a lot ;) but its worth it IMO. As are all tanks.

I think this settles it. :)

Attachments

• image-515405344.jpg
    image-515405344.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 121
TankMan said:
I think this settles it. :)

I think this settles it lol

Not mine but you get mt point lol

But seriously they are both beautiful and take much time and dedication as I have both a 75 high tech planted and a 75 reef I love them both but if someone comes for a visit I would have to show them the reef first it's my pride so my vote is a little more towards the reef

Attachments

• image-602323183.jpg
    image-602323183.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 73
ryan-peddle said:
I think this settles it lol

Not mine but you get mt point lol

But seriously they are both beautiful and take much time and dedication as I have both a 75 high tech planted and a 75 reef I love them both but if someone comes for a visit I would have to show them the reef first it's my pride so my vote is a little more towards the reef

Holy!! For real?! That's your tank?! WOW!!! Awesome!! Do you have an album?

Never mind just re read it. I was too into the tank lol.

Back
Top Bottom