Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-17-2012, 10:50 AM   #21
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nu-Nu the eel View Post
Wait so you guys are saying that if i offered you a 125 gallon reef tank filled with amazing corals and fish, you would prefer the 125 gallon planted tank filled with a huge piece of drift wood, whatever fish you like, and tons of plants?
Maintaining the Reef tank is going to be the issue. Maintaining a planted tank is basically only a couple cents from your water bill and a couple cents from your lighting bill.

Old 06-17-2012, 11:44 AM   #22
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggs180

Maintaining the Reef tank is going to be the issue. Maintaining a planted tank is basically only a couple cents from your water bill and a couple cents from your lighting bill.
+1 for price.

7g
TankMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 12:00 PM   #23
Aquarium Advice Addict

I don't think it's that bad maintaining a reef tank. Then again I only have a BC29 but... 5 gallon water changes every week isn't that bad. A few tests weekly and dosing of necessary.

I also have a 75 gallon mixed African Cichlid tank with about 40+ Anubias, I know those are easy plants I just wanted to show that I have both SW and FW and hands down I'm in love with my SW and have thought more then a few times of turning my 75 into a really nice SW tank.

"When creating an aqua scape, strive for the beauty of imperfection, as its art and there is no wrong or right, it's left open for interpretation" James Findley
Convict2161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 12:04 PM   #24
Aquarium Advice Freak

Is it true that SW fish are more sensitive than FW fish?
7g
Old 06-17-2012, 12:07 PM   #25
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

No. Some may be, but there are a lot of FW fish that are more sensitive than certain SW fish. Also, for anyone who says reef is harder than planted... you aint doing it right.

"What, exactly, is the internet? Basically it is a global network exchanging digitized data in such a way that any computer, anywhere, that is equipped with a device called a 'modem', can make a noise like a duck choking on a kazoo." - Dave Barry
mfdrookie516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 12:08 PM   #26
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by TankMan
Is it true that SW fish are more sensitive than FW fish?
I'd say (and I'm no expert) but... That probably can go for both SW and FW. I mean yeah you have to drip acclimate SW fish and for FW fish you float the bag for a little then add some tank water and continue to float then add fish...

But I'm sure there are sensitive FW fish as well....

But so far... My BC29 has been up for 6 months and it's heavily stocked with all kinds of corals and it's been a breeze. My FW tank takes more time to maintain by far.

"When creating an aqua scape, strive for the beauty of imperfection, as its art and there is no wrong or right, it's left open for interpretation" James Findley
Convict2161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 12:09 PM   #27
Aquarium Advice Freak

If done correctly. Neither are time consuming I suppose.
7g
Old 06-17-2012, 12:11 PM   #28
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

Not quite... if they're done correctly, they're both very time consuming

"What, exactly, is the internet? Basically it is a global network exchanging digitized data in such a way that any computer, anywhere, that is equipped with a device called a 'modem', can make a noise like a duck choking on a kazoo." - Dave Barry
mfdrookie516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 12:15 PM   #29
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfdrookie516
Not quite... if they're done correctly, they're both very time consuming
Well I was just referring to once the tank is properly cycled, the time required to maintain it is minimal (not the acclimating of fish.... That IS time consuming )
7g
Old 06-17-2012, 01:16 PM   #30
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfdrookie516
No. Some may be, but there are a lot of FW fish that are more sensitive than certain SW fish. Also, for anyone who says reef is harder than planted... you aint doing it right.
+1 to rookie..and convict

Want to know my scheduale for me 66 gallon salt? Do a water change every 2-3 weeks, feed every other day, and add nori on the days i dont feed. I occasionally go over the tank with a magfloat..but i really have no algae. Now, i dont know what you all do for your planted tanks..but for me this is as easy as tieing my shoes.

As for the whole "sw fish are tougher to keep" idea, also..not totally true. Now, im not saying you dont have those fish in the trade, such as the moorish idol or blue tang that arent hard to deal with..but for the record, i have 2 clowns, a chalk bass, engineer goby, and one spot foxface. All
Are perfectly healthy. Never any issues. Those are the only fish i have ever bought (havent lost one).

I rambled again and prob repeated some stuff..but its all true!

Tags
coral, corals, plant, planted

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com