Planted Vs. Corals

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Terrance said:
The only thing keeping away from reef tanks are the monthly electricity bill. Initial setup bill is no problem though.

If setup right the monthly running cost really isn't much different then a planted tank. If you've got LEDs the salt would probably be your biggest running cost lol

Considering everything I have had running in my planted setup (quad T5, CO2, sump, return, PH controller, powerheads, etc) I don't see how the cost could be much if at all different.

If setup right the monthly running cost really isn't much different then a planted tank. If you've got LEDs the salt would probably be your biggest running cost lol

I wasn't comparing, but I've been told that reef tanks eats up a lot more electricity.

Terrance said:
I wasn't comparing, but I've been told that reef tanks eats up a lot more electricity.

They can be pretty bad on the electric bill but you have to keep in mind there are a lot of people running MH which is a lot of electric along with raising the temperature causing you to need a chiller which is another big hit. With the new tech though on the market you can really cut the cost to be minimal

TankMan said:
A chiller?

A chiller is a unit that is used to cool your saltwater tank. Some use fans, but a chiller is much more effective. They are needed because there is alot more heat coming from the lights, pumps, etc

Nu-Nu the eel said:
A chiller is a unit that is used to cool your saltwater tank. Some use fans, but a chiller is much more effective. They are needed because there is alot more heat coming from the lights, pumps, etc

Chillers also cost big $$$ to run

I will always prefer freshwater planted tanks. The green and wood look is very calming to me. It looks soft, calm and relaxing.

I think saltwater tanks are cool and I enjoy looking at other's tank, but will never set one up for myself.

depends on the specs of the unit of course but you're effectively running a refrigeration unit on your tank.

A friend with one says it's the equivalent of running a medium size window air conditioner year round on their electric bill.

hpiguy said:
I will always prefer freshwater planted tanks. The green and wood look is very calming to me. It looks soft, calm and relaxing.

I think saltwater tanks are cool and I enjoy looking at other's tank, but will never set one up for myself.

I agree. :hehe:

Exactly..you have never set one up;)

I said I like how they look, but do not want to own one.

Mixing salt for water changes and such has zero appeal for me at all.

Just my opinion. :)

hpiguy said:
I said I like how they look, but do not want to own one.

Mixing salt for water changes and such has zero appeal for me at all.

Just my opinion. :)

But how can you ALWAYS prefer fw if you will NEVER try sw? Thats like looking at a food and hating it just based off of looks!

Haha i hope that isnt the only thing holding you back;)

I always prefer FW because I have friends with SW. I see them, I like them, then I'm drawn to the FW tanks full of plants and wood and stay there longer. Every single time.

I do watch the reef tanks, the life in them, all that stuff. I'm glad others keep them so I can enjoy them. Great stuff.

If SW was really easy, like if someone made a premix machine that measured and did it all and was reasonable priced, I'd give it a shot. That's probably not going to happen.

BUT, and I know this is blasphemy, I'm setting up a fake coral FW tank with some colorful fish. Because I enjoy the SW look (again, not as much as FW planted) but do not want the added maintenance of mixing the water each time. So this will suffice for me. I saw some on You Tube and thought they were cool. Going to give it a shot and see what I get.

I prefer the look of FW planted, always will. I don't hate SW, I like it. But it's not in my future to own a real one with coral, which is what this topic is about.

hpiguy said:
I always prefer FW because I have friends with SW. I see them, I like them, then I'm drawn to the FW tanks full of plants and wood and stay there longer. Every single time.

I do watch the reef tanks, the life in them, all that stuff. I'm glad others keep them so I can enjoy them. Great stuff.

If SW was really easy, like if someone made a premix machine that measured and did it all and was reasonable priced, I'd give it a shot. That's probably not going to happen.

BUT, and I know this is blasphemy, I'm setting up a fake coral FW tank with some colorful fish. Because I enjoy the SW look (again, not as much as FW planted) but do not want the added maintenance of mixing the water each time. So this will suffice for me. I saw some on You Tube and thought they were cool. Going to give it a shot and see what I get.

I prefer the look of FW planted, always will. I don't hate SW, I like it. But it's not in my future to own a real one with coral, which is what this topic is about.

Lol but there are those machines. Every lfs should have them..spend a couple bucks tops every week fpr a water change dude.

Haha seems like your trying to setup the reef tank's little brother there! Sounds cool though

hpiguy said:

I've always thought the FW reed setup was kinda cool.... I look forward to pictures! Lol

I completely understand where hpiguy is coming from, SW is a BIG undertaking (specially at first, trust me i'm losing my mind lol). The look of a nice planted tank brings a relaxing low key environment compared to a reef system that usually is exciting and full of activity. This is why i'm going to have both

skywhitney said:
I completely understand where hpiguy is coming from, SW is a BIG undertaking (specially at first, trust me i'm losing my mind lol). The look of a nice planted tank brings a relaxing low key environment compared to a reef system that usually is exciting and full of activity. This is why i'm going to have both

Can't agree with you more on the start up as I feel I'm on the last leg of my reef tank to completion but looking back on it I feel it gives me a much greater feel of accomplishment to bring all the variables together to house a living growing reef in your home then a planted tank (no offense intended and strictly Jmo). It's for sure not for everyone though but those who have decided to take the reef route should know what I'm talking about :)

Back
Top Bottom