Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-25-2012, 10:31 PM   #61
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nu-Nu the eel

Lol what do you mean by that? Tons of critters live in the rock and its very interesting to look at. In freshwater there really isnt much to look at unless they are pond snails... :/
Agreed... Trust me you'll be doing a decent bit of research looking up critters you find in you tank all the time that you have no idea how they got there lol

Old 06-25-2012, 10:58 PM   #62
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by TankMan

Well someone said the sand "comes alive" lol
It DOES!! Bristleworms, crabs, and snails arise from the sand! It's like an invert apocalypse lol then Shrimp and crabs come out of places you'd never expect. I set up a nano tank using dry sand and rock then I found worms and other stuff coming out of the rock!

Old 06-26-2012, 06:57 PM   #63
Aquarium Advice Addict

That was me said it!

It does come alive!! You can see worms popping out, pods moving about, crabs and certain snails and starfish live under the sand so at night the sand starts to move showing life that hides under the sand during the daytime

Also all kinds of shrimp come out of hiding to forage on leftovers. Sexy Shrimp, peppermint shrimp, blood shrimp etc... It's truly and awesome site. The only shrimp I see during the day are my cleaner shrimp.

So yes... At night it's a different tank. While the corals have closed up a bit and the fish have slowed down there is still a lot of movement and it's very interesting to watch under moonlights.

"When creating an aqua scape, strive for the beauty of imperfection, as its art and there is no wrong or right, it's left open for interpretation" James Findley
Convict2161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 10:13 PM   #64
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Convict2161
That was me said it!

It does come alive!! You can see worms popping out, pods moving about, crabs and certain snails and starfish live under the sand so at night the sand starts to move showing life that hides under the sand during the daytime

Also all kinds of shrimp come out of hiding to forage on leftovers. Sexy Shrimp, peppermint shrimp, blood shrimp etc... It's truly and awesome site. The only shrimp I see during the day are my cleaner shrimp.

So yes... At night it's a different tank. While the corals have closed up a bit and the fish have slowed down there is still a lot of movement and it's very interesting to watch under moonlights.
That almost makes me want to go SW. Just by what you said.

Is there anything like that for FW?
7g
TankMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 10:59 PM   #65
Aquarium Advice Addict

One more for corals. One reason that there are a lot of people voting for corals is that it's a lot easier to make pretty compared to a planted. You really need to know what your doing for a planted to work out, I especially love discus setups. Saltwater is a whole different ball game, believe it or not, once you know what your doing, it's easier than planted. I've had both, I know from experience.

And to the above post, the tank is really completely different at night, corals go into feeding mode, small crustaceans that breed in your tank with out you exerting energy come out, everything is crazy.
needmorecowbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 06:51 PM   #66
Aquarium Advice Freak

But what causes more maintenance? Some tricky plants or those delicate coral?
7g
TankMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 07:06 PM   #67
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by TankMan
But what causes more maintenance? Some tricky plants or those delicate coral?
IME I have both and planted is more matience but it also depends on the plants or corals you keep
Old 07-04-2012, 11:59 PM   #68
Aquarium Advice Addict

Corals is easier care and looks better IMO.
Old 07-05-2012, 12:14 AM   #69
Aquarium Advice Addict

I cant say corals are easier to care for... Alot of things can go weong that will easily kill a coral or piss it off. I think plants are easier just because they dont seem to be effected by as many factors as corals are
Old 07-05-2012, 12:32 AM   #70
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nu-Nu the eel
I cant say corals are easier to care for... Alot of things can go weong that will easily kill a coral or piss it off. I think plants are easier just because they dont seem to be effected by as many factors as corals are
I'd agree there is no chemical warfare to worry about with plants (I don't think) but place the wrong coral next to another and forget about it. Also If some corals die off they can release toxins in your tank. I think corals are more difficult and sensitive then plants. JMO, a lot can go wrong in a heavily stocked tank with corals.

In the end though I guess a heavily planted tank with ferts and co etc to worry about may lend itself a chore also.

"When creating an aqua scape, strive for the beauty of imperfection, as its art and there is no wrong or right, it's left open for interpretation" James Findley
Convict2161 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
coral, corals, plant, planted

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com