Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Closed Thread

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-13-2004, 03:08 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

WOW, that's a big cat! I have moderately bad allergies to tree pollen and cats and very bad allergies to mold spores and rabbits, so I know where you're coming from.

See you doctor and try some of the prescription allergy meds like Zyrtec, Clarinex, and Allegra. The doctor should be able to provide you with a month's supply of free samples. They take a few days to become fully effective and you may have to try several brands before you find the one that works best for you. I've been taking Zyrtec every day for two years and I no longer feel like scratching out my eyes!

Another thing to keep in mind is that cat allergies are usually caused by dried saliva. Obviously, minimizing your contact with the cat is the only sure-fire way to avoid a reaction. Bathing the cat frequently will help, but he likely will not be very pleased with this solution. You could try wearing long-sleeved shirts around the cat, showering after playing with him, or even wearing a paper dust mask around him.

DO NOT let the cat into your bedroom for any reason - you spend 1/3 of your life asleep and there is absolutely no need to be exposed to allergens while you're doing it. You could also get an air purifuer. I recently purchased a Cloud-9 HEPA air purifier for my bedroom to help with my seasonal tree pollen-related asthma. It was expensive, but it really worked.

Old 08-13-2004, 03:09 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Freak

Toirtis, you can't be serious... 8O But even as I take more and more precautions, it gets worse and worse. I can't even turn the fan on because I'm afraid fur from somewhere will fly into the air and get into my eyes. In the past week this has happened and my contacts fell out twice.

Kirby doesn't sleep in my bed, and he's not allowed on it, either- I don't want to wake up with eye blisters from fur getting rubbed into my eyes off the sheets! Poor kitty!
I vacuum often (wearing a bandana around my face) and wash my hands if I touch him, usually drying them off with a paper towel so I don't get remnants of fur on the handtowels and accidentally rub fur into my eyes when I dry my face off at night.

And in all this I long so badly to hold my cat! It's torture!

Old 08-13-2004, 03:11 AM   #13
God of primitive fishes

Send a message via MSN to Toirtis Send a message via Yahoo to Toirtis
Quote:
Originally Posted by frshwaterfinatc
Toirtis, you can't be serious... 8O
Quite serious, I am afraid.

Quote:
But even as I take more and more precautions, it gets worse and worse.
This is common with this sort of reaction....reactions worsen with each subsequent exposure.
www.calgaryaquariumsociety.com
Old 08-13-2004, 03:12 AM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

I really feel for you. The best thing is to see a doctor--SOON.

Old 08-13-2004, 03:13 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
I recently purchased a Cloud-9 HEPA air purifier for my bedroom to help with my seasonal tree pollen-related asthma. It was expensive, but it really worked.

That sounds like a very good idea- how expenisve, if you don't mind my asking?

Also, wearing a paper mask would suffice for now, I think- maybe I should get a full face mask and put plastic screens in holes so I can see, ha. I just don't know why this is happening all the sudden.

Thanks for the advice- I'm open to more, as well!! Like miracles...
Old 08-13-2004, 03:14 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Quite serious, I am afraid.

REALLY?? What happens? My cat could really KILL me?
Old 08-13-2004, 03:17 AM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

I believe your airways close up. There's lots of info out there--Google it. Trevor is finally done and I can go home and pack. Best of luck with Kirby and all your wedding plans!

Old 08-13-2004, 03:18 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice Freak

You too! Good luck, be safe! Congratulations!
Old 08-13-2004, 03:40 AM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

The Cloud-9 unit complete with filters was $399 both online and at Bed Bath&Beyond. I get the replacement pre/carbon filters online - costs about $50 a year and the $120 HEPA filter gets changed every five years. I did alot of research and this unit is the only true HEPA out there. It's construction and design is alot like the biological safety cabinets that they use in microbiology labs. The quiet motor changes the air in my 12 x 18 bedroom six times an hour!
This would be best for the bedroom, but you could also get some of the cheaper air purifiers for other rooms just to pull the cat hair out of the air.

Your reaction sounds way more severe than mine. People who have extremely severe allergic reactions are at risk for a life-threatening anaphylactic episode. Basically, your immune system is completely overreacting to something that it perceives to be a dire threat (your cat's saliva), but is actually quite harmless. Doctors can treat the condition with drugs that help bring your immune system out of its unnecessarily high alert status. They also often prescribe an epi-pen, an easy-to-administer self-injectible dose of epinephrine that can save your life if you have an anaphylactic attack. Definitely go see a doctor.
Old 08-13-2004, 03:42 AM   #20
Aquarium Advice Freak

Oh, thank you so much. I had no idea.

THANK YOU! 8O

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com