PLEASE advise- I know it's not about fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Take the cat to your vet and have him boarded there for a few days, it will give you time to 1. clear up a little, 2. get to your dr to make sure it's really the cat, and 3. decide what action you need to take next. And a serious reaction could result in death so you need to take action now before it gets worse.

Please don't take any final action (such as giving away your cat) until you have it verified that it is the root of your problem.

Take it from me - you need to get your allergies addressed. I have developed more and more allergies the older I get, and now I am developing food allergies, so that when I eat certain fruits and nuts my mouth goes tingly and numb, and my throat starts to close up! I have tried to have cats in the past and the last time I developed asthma from them, so that's out for me.

However, you can get desensitized if you are willing to go through weekly shots, but they will provide you with an epinephrine injection pen (Epi-Pen) to carry with you in case of anaphylaxis.

The best thing when it comes to cats is to keep them out of the bedroom, if possible, and vacuum quite a bit to keep the hair (its the saliva, not the hair itself) down to a minimum. There may be frequent bathing in your cat's future, too, if your'e up to it!

Good luck and see an allergist - an otolaryngologist (ear, nose & throat) allergist is what you need.

My girlfriends entire family is deathly alergic to cats. I grew up with cats (three of which still live with my parents). She can usualy handle short visits to my parents house, but there was one instance where we had to leave quickly because her reaction got pretty bad. She described it as like an asthma attack, it was pretty scary. Thankfully, it subsided shortly after leaving.

Without getting into the strange, crazy story, we were given two kittens from our neighbor. My girlfriend already had an appointment scheduled with her doctor, which is why I think she agreed to see how the kitties worked out. Anyways, her doctor teasingly gave her a hard time about trying to have cats in the house, but mentioned that since they were so small, she would naturally build up immunities as the kitties grew and produced more allergens. She also switched to Flonaise as her allergy medicine. So far its worked out great. The Flonaise has also helped when we visit places where there are full grown cats.

Anaphylaxis is a severe allergic reaction. In extreme cases, the throat swells shut and the subject dies. I have an anaphylactic reaction to wasp stings. My allergic reaction has never been enough to kill me though. I carry around an epipen (an autoinjector full of epinephrin (adrenalin)) just in case though. It basically forces my body to speed up and thus filter the poison as fast as possible before it can do much damage.

I have a mild allergic reaction to cats. Sometimes one of my eyes will start to itch and swell. I'll usually take a benadryl and that takes care of it.

I would stay away from cantaloupe and pecans if they make you feel that way. I have heard too many stories about food allergies. That's why candy bars without nuts might bear a warning saying that they are produced in a facility that processes nuts. Or a menu might say "fried in peanut oil". Salad bars are not allowed to use any food that contains sulfites. And being allergic to shellfish would be torture...

hmm. that can just show up? my mom use to be allergic to my rabbits but now its better. i read in a book, which is kinda wack, theres some people who had cancer etc and they had their animal with them and it helped em get through it. theres 2 id suggest. not from experience but from the infomercials :). its the ionic breeze and this other one. i think its the ionic breeze. because with that you wont need to buy extra filters because they "charge the dust etc. with negative ions and its attracted to a positive thingy. etc etc. the other one is made by a vacuum company forgot the name.

I have horrible allergies from my cats. I keep getting told to get shots and now I'm really considering it. I was highly and badly allergic to my cat when I was younger. Just from allergies alone I couldn't go to school twice a year. I have to agree with Menagerie. see an allergist!!! Used a hypoallergetic vacuum. It's worth it. Keep your bedroom door closed so the cat doesn't get it. That's what my allergist told me to do in order to keep the cat and not have as bad allergies. Good luck!! Hope you find a way to keep your cat and be healthy. I know I wouldn't give up my cats for anything and I'm sure you wouldn't either.

there are dogs who dont shed so it wont ellergise you as much but i wonder if theres cats like that.

my advice see a real good doctor and see what can be done for you give it a chance to work if you have to find a really loving family that you trust insist on pics and updates and do what is best for your health best of luck :!:

Thank you all so much for your advice. Right now I've taken Kirby to my grandmother's to be kept until I can clean the apt out, get an ionic air filter, and possibly get shots. Claritin nd Benadryl and even Ornades haven't helped at all.
Even though this is a fish forum, I know a lot more about my conditon now than I did before- thanks to all of you! :D I really appreciate it!

good for you good luck to you hope it works out for you and your buddy :!:

Ask your doctor about Zyrtec. My husband is allergic to cats and we have 5! When he takes his Zyrtec consistently he has no symptoms. I hope you can find a good antihistamine, there are plenty out there. I know how much you probably luv your kitty, good luck!

I hear you, I was pregnant and had a pair of kittens (littermates) that had been rescued from a fire, so we were so glad to have them and my older daughter was psyched to finally have cats, but it got to the point of my health or the kittens, and we found a good home for them. I don't think my oldest daughter will forgive me but in hindsight considering how tough that twin pregnancy was, it was the best thing for us all. Now I am smart enough to know that cats are out of the question. :(

Oh, and another thing, we considered for a while naming the cats (a boy and a girl) Zyrtec and Allegra - "better living through modern chemistry" I always say! I couldn't take what I wanted at the time due to the pregnancy, but there are a lot of effective drugs out there now.

aquahungerforce said:
Ask your doctor about Zyrtec. My husband is allergic to cats and we have 5! When he takes his Zyrtec consistently he has no symptoms.

In my case, I am mildly allergic to just about everything with fur or feathers, but living 24/7 with 3 ferrets, a cat and two parrots has desensitized me to the point that I am no longer bothered by my allergies unless I rub one of the animals in my face for 10-15 minutes.

God, Toirtis. :icecream: Every post you make has this semi-sarcastic, almost sadistic ring to it and I just crack up laughing out loud! No wonder you're an author. I'd be interested in your books, I think... pm me and we'll see if I can get a hold of one! :)

frshwaterfinatc said:
God, Toirtis. :icecream: Every post you make has this semi-sarcastic, almost sadistic ring to it and I just crack up laughing out loud! No wonder you're an author. I'd be interested in your books, I think... pm me and we'll see if I can get a hold of one! :)

Hmmm...I get that 'sadistic' thing a lot.... 8O

Most of what I write is non-fiction, and most of that is corporate/business stuff, but I do have a few, unpublished short stories that would probably give you a lifetime of nightmares. :wink: My mother once suggested that as a child (and arguably, as an adult), I was a blend of Calvin (from "Calvin and Hobbes"), and Wednesday Addams..then proceeded to wish an identical child on me...my daughter fits the bill. Its...different...around here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom