Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 08-19-2015, 02:17 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Mebbid's Avatar



POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Michigan USA
Posts: 12,569
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceFish42 View Post
I'm not going to be pointing out anyone specific, but recently I have noticed a lot of negativity going on. It has made me seriously consider leaving AA. This is a forum for learning new things about fish, not arguing about who is better, who has had fish longer, who knows more about this or that, etc.. Nobody was born knowing everything, and even if you mean well, tone can be interpreted many different ways. So could we all please try to be a little more polite? Thank you.

I know I'm going to get some angry comments on this, but I felt that it was necessary to point out.
In every single community you go to in your entire life you will see the exact same thing whether it's forums, the water cooler at work, or a local charity fund raiser. It's human nature and is completely unavoidable. The grass isn't greener on the other side, it's the same dingy brown color it is where you're currently at and learning to deal with that is just something that we all need to do.

I'm sorry that you feel negatively impacted by the arguing that goes on here, but it's impossible to prevent. Just keep in mind that it's rarely malicious. Most of the time it's a well meaning debate and it's just the use of text that doesn't convey tone which makes people think it's a malicious disagreement.

I once had a guy that's still here on the forums threaten to throat punch me because I disagreed with him. Instead of leaving I simply ignore his threads and don't respond to his posts. It's really as simple as that.
__________________

__________________
"The simplest explanation for some phenomenon is more likely to be accurate than more complicated explanations." -Occam's razor
Mebbid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 02:53 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Brookster123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Mass
Posts: 18,384
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mebbid View Post
In every single community you go to in your entire life you will see the exact same thing whether it's forums, the water cooler at work, or a local charity fund raiser. It's human nature and is completely unavoidable. The grass isn't greener on the other side, it's the same dingy brown color it is where you're currently at and learning to deal with that is just something that we all need to do.

I'm sorry that you feel negatively impacted by the arguing that goes on here, but it's impossible to prevent. Just keep in mind that it's rarely malicious. Most of the time it's a well meaning debate and it's just the use of text that doesn't convey tone which makes people think it's a malicious disagreement.

I once had a guy that's still here on the forums threaten to throat punch me because I disagreed with him. Instead of leaving I simply ignore his threads and don't respond to his posts. It's really as simple as that.
+1 you should hear the things my boss says to me

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app
__________________

__________________
I'm not really here... fell in the tank and my phone is just that smart
Brookster123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 11:40 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
fishenthusiast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Ohio
Posts: 2,084
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mebbid View Post
In every single community you go to in your entire life you will see the exact same thing whether it's forums, the water cooler at work, or a local charity fund raiser. It's human nature and is completely unavoidable. The grass isn't greener on the other side, it's the same dingy brown color it is where you're currently at and learning to deal with that is just something that we all need to do.

I'm sorry that you feel negatively impacted by the arguing that goes on here, but it's impossible to prevent. Just keep in mind that it's rarely malicious. Most of the time it's a well meaning debate and it's just the use of text that doesn't convey tone which makes people think it's a malicious disagreement.

I once had a guy that's still here on the forums threaten to throat punch me because I disagreed with him. Instead of leaving I simply ignore his threads and don't respond to his posts. It's really as simple as that.

What! Geeez! 😧 Yeah, people like that are good to ignore.

+1 on your statement. Well said!


Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
__________________
fishenthusiast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 01:17 AM   #14
AA Member
Community Moderator
 
Delapool's Avatar



POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Perth, Australia
Posts: 13,546
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mebbid View Post
In every single community you go to in your entire life you will see the exact same thing whether it's forums, the water cooler at work, or a local charity fund raiser. It's human nature and is completely unavoidable. The grass isn't greener on the other side, it's the same dingy brown color it is where you're currently at and learning to deal with that is just something that we all need to do.

I'm sorry that you feel negatively impacted by the arguing that goes on here, but it's impossible to prevent. Just keep in mind that it's rarely malicious. Most of the time it's a well meaning debate and it's just the use of text that doesn't convey tone which makes people think it's a malicious disagreement.

I once had a guy that's still here on the forums threaten to throat punch me because I disagreed with him. Instead of leaving I simply ignore his threads and don't respond to his posts. It's really as simple as that.
Well good news you are still here! I would hate to see you go.

I can only reiterate that posts which are outside the bounds of the community rules (courteous, useful, thoughtful, etc) or are personal attacks are not what this forum is about. These should be reported.

I enjoy this forum a lot as a place to discuss aquarium-keeping. I've learnt a fair bit and had a lot of enjoyable discussions - thanks to all the members here.
__________________
Delapool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 07:54 PM   #15
Macro Addict
Community Moderator
 
54seaweed's Avatar



POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Colorado
Posts: 7,534
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceFish42 View Post
I'm not going to be pointing out anyone specific, but recently I have noticed a lot of negativity going on. It has made me seriously consider leaving AA. This is a forum for learning new things about fish, not arguing about who is better, who has had fish longer, who knows more about this or that, etc.. Nobody was born knowing everything, and even if you mean well, tone can be interpreted many different ways. So could we all please try to be a little more polite? Thank you.

I know I'm going to get some angry comments on this, but I felt that it was necessary to point out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mebbid

I once had a guy that's still here on the forums threaten to throat punch me because I disagreed with him. Instead of leaving I simply ignore his threads and don't respond to his posts. It's really as simple as that
I'm glad mebbid brought this up as it reminded me of a certain feature ,

If you have problems with certain members the best thing to do is report the post , be sure to put in the reason box why it's being reported , after doing that to avoid any more conflict , I would suggest you go to that members user name and click on it , a box like this will appear scroll to the bottom line click on members name to be ignored , this will make him invisible to you and prevent further conflict , I suggest this to any member having the same problems to do the same , soon the trouble makers will realize no ones paying attention to them and maybe they'll settle down .


Don't hesitate to pm a moderator if this continues as it will not be tolerated
__________________
Save
54seaweed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 10:32 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
SpaceFish42's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Washington
Posts: 1,168
Unfortunately, I can't do any of that because I use the AA app on my phone. But thank you for all the helpful responses.
__________________
SpaceFish42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 02:24 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
ExoticAquarist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 659
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceFish42 View Post
Unfortunately, I can't do any of that because I use the AA app on my phone. But thank you for all the helpful responses.

Me too, but you can still do it. Tap on the offending post, click more, then click flag and type in the reason. I was on a local forum the other day, and the Head Admin was swearing at a guy and calling him insults like "sociopath", and "cross-eyed bipolar tween". Autism is not an insult, and no good forum should ever swear or directly be negative at it's members. I have since left said forum. In fact, I have meberships on about 15 popular forums and about 6 local forums, but all except 1 and AA are so hostile and disgusting that I barely ever use them.


~ExoticAquarist, signing out
__________________

__________________
ExoticAquarist is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
what kind of xenia is this? please help Dmon1123 Saltwater & Reef - Identification 6 02-09-2010 12:02 AM
identification help please (some kind of baby livebearer) mike47517 Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion 14 06-17-2009 03:32 PM
Please be kind... cogburn Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion 17 04-22-2009 05:32 PM
B. Rainbow - Some kind of fungus? Help Please neilanh Freshwater & Brackish - Unhealthy Fish 10 02-24-2007 12:58 AM
What kind of Anemoneme and needs please...? XXFirefighter Saltwater & Reef - Identification 2 11-10-2004 02:18 PM







» Photo Contest Winners








Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:05 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.