Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-19-2015, 02:17 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceFish42 View Post
I'm not going to be pointing out anyone specific, but recently I have noticed a lot of negativity going on. It has made me seriously consider leaving AA. This is a forum for learning new things about fish, not arguing about who is better, who has had fish longer, who knows more about this or that, etc.. Nobody was born knowing everything, and even if you mean well, tone can be interpreted many different ways. So could we all please try to be a little more polite? Thank you.

I know I'm going to get some angry comments on this, but I felt that it was necessary to point out.
In every single community you go to in your entire life you will see the exact same thing whether it's forums, the water cooler at work, or a local charity fund raiser. It's human nature and is completely unavoidable. The grass isn't greener on the other side, it's the same dingy brown color it is where you're currently at and learning to deal with that is just something that we all need to do.

I'm sorry that you feel negatively impacted by the arguing that goes on here, but it's impossible to prevent. Just keep in mind that it's rarely malicious. Most of the time it's a well meaning debate and it's just the use of text that doesn't convey tone which makes people think it's a malicious disagreement.

I once had a guy that's still here on the forums threaten to throat punch me because I disagreed with him. Instead of leaving I simply ignore his threads and don't respond to his posts. It's really as simple as that.

Old 08-19-2015, 02:53 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mebbid View Post
In every single community you go to in your entire life you will see the exact same thing whether it's forums, the water cooler at work, or a local charity fund raiser. It's human nature and is completely unavoidable. The grass isn't greener on the other side, it's the same dingy brown color it is where you're currently at and learning to deal with that is just something that we all need to do.

I'm sorry that you feel negatively impacted by the arguing that goes on here, but it's impossible to prevent. Just keep in mind that it's rarely malicious. Most of the time it's a well meaning debate and it's just the use of text that doesn't convey tone which makes people think it's a malicious disagreement.

I once had a guy that's still here on the forums threaten to throat punch me because I disagreed with him. Instead of leaving I simply ignore his threads and don't respond to his posts. It's really as simple as that.
+1 you should hear the things my boss says to me

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Old 08-19-2015, 11:40 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:

What! Geeez! 😧 Yeah, people like that are good to ignore.

+1 on your statement. Well said!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
Old 08-20-2015, 01:17 AM   #14
AA Member
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Quote:

Well good news you are still here! I would hate to see you go.

I can only reiterate that posts which are outside the bounds of the community rules (courteous, useful, thoughtful, etc) or are personal attacks are not what this forum is about. These should be reported.

I enjoy this forum a lot as a place to discuss aquarium-keeping. I've learnt a fair bit and had a lot of enjoyable discussions - thanks to all the members here.
Old 08-21-2015, 07:54 PM   #15
Macro Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
I'm not going to be pointing out anyone specific, but recently I have noticed a lot of negativity going on. It has made me seriously consider leaving AA. This is a forum for learning new things about fish, not arguing about who is better, who has had fish longer, who knows more about this or that, etc.. Nobody was born knowing everything, and even if you mean well, tone can be interpreted many different ways. So could we all please try to be a little more polite? Thank you.

I know I'm going to get some angry comments on this, but I felt that it was necessary to point out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mebbid

I once had a guy that's still here on the forums threaten to throat punch me because I disagreed with him. Instead of leaving I simply ignore his threads and don't respond to his posts. It's really as simple as that
I'm glad mebbid brought this up as it reminded me of a certain feature ,

If you have problems with certain members the best thing to do is report the post , be sure to put in the reason box why it's being reported , after doing that to avoid any more conflict , I would suggest you go to that members user name and click on it , a box like this will appear scroll to the bottom line click on members name to be ignored , this will make him invisible to you and prevent further conflict , I suggest this to any member having the same problems to do the same , soon the trouble makers will realize no ones paying attention to them and maybe they'll settle down .

Don't hesitate to pm a moderator if this continues as it will not be tolerated
Old 08-21-2015, 10:32 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

Unfortunately, I can't do any of that because I use the AA app on my phone. But thank you for all the helpful responses.
Old 08-23-2015, 02:24 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Unfortunately, I can't do any of that because I use the AA app on my phone. But thank you for all the helpful responses.

Me too, but you can still do it. Tap on the offending post, click more, then click flag and type in the reason. I was on a local forum the other day, and the Head Admin was swearing at a guy and calling him insults like "sociopath", and "cross-eyed bipolar tween". Autism is not an insult, and no good forum should ever swear or directly be negative at it's members. I have since left said forum. In fact, I have meberships on about 15 popular forums and about 6 local forums, but all except 1 and AA are so hostile and disgusting that I barely ever use them.

~ExoticAquarist, signing out

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com