Please be kind!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SpaceFish42

Aquarium Advice Addict
I'm not going to be pointing out anyone specific, but recently I have noticed a lot of negativity going on. It has made me seriously consider leaving AA. This is a forum for learning new things about fish, not arguing about who is better, who has had fish longer, who knows more about this or that, etc.. Nobody was born knowing everything, and even if you mean well, tone can be interpreted many different ways. So could we all please try to be a little more polite? Thank you.

I know I'm going to get some angry comments on this, but I felt that it was necessary to point out.

Mehh.. it's the internet.. bound to have personality clashes. If it goes to far you simply report the post that offends..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Sorry for your bad experience. If you have any issues in the future please report them with the report tab and we will take care of it. You are right that we are here to learn and we dont need the drama just help. Again report any disrespectful posts and we will take care of it.

I just think that if people make an effort to be nicer, it will prevent problems from even happening in the first place.

Sometimes I feel like I get attacked and feel I have no other option but to fire back, I'll be honest. But like he said it's the internet so human nature takes over.. some are puffer fish and some are flower horns lol oh well...yes I know puffers can be aggressive also, before anyone corrects me...

Sent from my SM-G360T1 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

But I do have respect for them and do apologize for anything that might have offended. These guys are alot smarter than me by far I just thought the feedback would be put in a way that wasn't as offensive as it came off.

Sent from my SM-G360T1 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I understand, left a another advice forum due to a know it all. Could not deal with it in a polite wau myself. It seemed like this person was popular on this said forum and all started to gang up on me.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

You want to see rude or negative? I can point you to a few popular fish forums that will shock the crap out of you.
I believe the mods here do an excellent job of keeping a great environment. I know, I get the dreaded mod messages too often lol. That said I think this place does all that it can and most members are supportive of others. I've lashed out a few times, I've been lashed at a few times, but most of my dealings here are quite peaceful.

It's so sad that this happens at a lot of forums. I have left some forums as well for there were members who just wanted to point out that they knew everything better (while most of them just got into the hobby for half a year till maybe two years) and refused to accept advice from people likeme who have decades of experience within the field. And even so, I don't expect people to accept what I'm saying. I do respect other ones opinion of views, but it seems that not everyone is respecting others views.
And I hate so-called topposters who like to make people think that they know a lot. being a topposter doesn't mean that you're a knowledgeable person within the field. For I could be a topposter as well by just posting smilies all the time or something else irrelevant. And believe me, this happens a lot at various forums.
But overhere I myself haven't actually noticed any negativity yet. Which I'm glad about...
Thusfar I'm still enjoying being a member overhere.

Sometimes I think it's the way people post. It's tricky sometimes to relay certain messages without sounding rude.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I'm not going to be pointing out anyone specific, but recently I have noticed a lot of negativity going on. It has made me seriously consider leaving AA. This is a forum for learning new things about fish, not arguing about who is better, who has had fish longer, who knows more about this or that, etc.. Nobody was born knowing everything, and even if you mean well, tone can be interpreted many different ways. So could we all please try to be a little more polite? Thank you.

I know I'm going to get some angry comments on this, but I felt that it was necessary to point out.

In every single community you go to in your entire life you will see the exact same thing whether it's forums, the water cooler at work, or a local charity fund raiser. It's human nature and is completely unavoidable. The grass isn't greener on the other side, it's the same dingy brown color it is where you're currently at and learning to deal with that is just something that we all need to do.

I'm sorry that you feel negatively impacted by the arguing that goes on here, but it's impossible to prevent. Just keep in mind that it's rarely malicious. Most of the time it's a well meaning debate and it's just the use of text that doesn't convey tone which makes people think it's a malicious disagreement.

I once had a guy that's still here on the forums threaten to throat punch me because I disagreed with him. Instead of leaving I simply ignore his threads and don't respond to his posts. It's really as simple as that.

In every single community you go to in your entire life you will see the exact same thing whether it's forums, the water cooler at work, or a local charity fund raiser. It's human nature and is completely unavoidable. The grass isn't greener on the other side, it's the same dingy brown color it is where you're currently at and learning to deal with that is just something that we all need to do.

I'm sorry that you feel negatively impacted by the arguing that goes on here, but it's impossible to prevent. Just keep in mind that it's rarely malicious. Most of the time it's a well meaning debate and it's just the use of text that doesn't convey tone which makes people think it's a malicious disagreement.

I once had a guy that's still here on the forums threaten to throat punch me because I disagreed with him. Instead of leaving I simply ignore his threads and don't respond to his posts. It's really as simple as that.

+1 you should hear the things my boss says to me;)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

What! Geeez! ? Yeah, people like that are good to ignore.

+1 on your statement. Well said!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Well good news you are still here! I would hate to see you go.

I can only reiterate that posts which are outside the bounds of the community rules (courteous, useful, thoughtful, etc) or are personal attacks are not what this forum is about. These should be reported.

I enjoy this forum a lot as a place to discuss aquarium-keeping. I've learnt a fair bit and had a lot of enjoyable discussions - thanks to all the members here.

Originally Posted by Mebbid

I once had a guy that's still here on the forums threaten to throat punch me because I disagreed with him. Instead of leaving I simply ignore his threads and don't respond to his posts. It's really as simple as that

I'm glad mebbid brought this up as it reminded me of a certain feature ,

If you have problems with certain members the best thing to do is report the post , be sure to put in the reason box why it's being reported , after doing that to avoid any more conflict , I would suggest you go to that members user name and click on it , a box like this will appear scroll to the bottom line click on members name to be ignored , this will make him invisible to you and prevent further conflict , I suggest this to any member having the same problems to do the same , soon the trouble makers will realize no ones paying attention to them and maybe they'll settle down .
img_3268822_1_ca2aeaf13f534287e56d0a99eef6cb31.png

Don't hesitate to pm a moderator if this continues as it will not be tolerated

Last edited:
Unfortunately, I can't do any of that because I use the AA app on my phone. But thank you for all the helpful responses.

Unfortunately, I can't do any of that because I use the AA app on my phone. But thank you for all the helpful responses.

Me too, but you can still do it. Tap on the offending post, click more, then click flag and type in the reason. I was on a local forum the other day, and the Head Admin was swearing at a guy and calling him insults like "sociopath", and "cross-eyed bipolar tween". Autism is not an insult, and no good forum should ever swear or directly be negative at it's members. I have since left said forum. In fact, I have meberships on about 15 popular forums and about 6 local forums, but all except 1 and AA are so hostile and disgusting that I barely ever use them.

~ExoticAquarist, signing out

Back
Top Bottom