Please Help Want a Bigger Tank.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ahmed dada

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi. I need a way to convince my dad (I'm 13) that I need a bigger tank. We have a 10 gallon with 3(!) neon tetras I know they need 6 but he don't understand! And 4 zebra danios. And 2 sunset platys. I want a 30 gallon to keep 6 of all my fish. Now he doesnt think the 10 is cruelty to those poor things. He needs to know but how do I tell him cuz he thinks that they r "fine" pls help me n my poor fish!

I got my first tank, a 30 gallon, for nothing on freecycle.org.

Is he worried from a "where are we going to put a larger tank" point of view? Sounds like you have to have a good honest discussion with him.

LyndaB said:
I got my first tank, a 30 gallon, for nothing on freecycle.org.

Is he worried from a "where are we going to put a larger tank" point of view? Sounds like you have to have a good honest discussion with him.

No we have a big house and enough space. He doesn't understand that it's cruel how do I tell him?

Ahmed dada said:
No we have a big house and enough space. He doesn't understand that it's cruel how do I tell him?

Show him some hardcore research

Let me ask you something..... you say it's cruel to have these species in a 10 gallon..... but aren't they your fish? Are you the one who picked them out for the 10?

LyndaB said:
Let me ask you something..... you say it's cruel to have these species in a 10 gallon..... but aren't they your fish? Are you the one who picked them out for the 10?

I know but I didnt do proper research and the pet shop owner did not advise me properly sp now I am feeling reeeeeeaalllly bad for those poor fish:(. And our current tank has a snail issue when we bought some live plants so I have assassin snails to kill those n we hate the snails. That's also another reason for the upgrade tank. The only way I found out its cruel was when my 1 sunset platy dies after 1 year. Now all the fish r 1 and a half n seem healthy so we thought it's ok. But I reaaalllyy need a 20-30 gallon.

Look through this forum, and pick out some of the posts concerning tank size and stocking levels then show him the posts. If you do get a larger tank do your research before you buy more fish.

I know but I didnt do proper research and the pet shop owner did not advise me properly sp now I am feeling reeeeeeaalllly bad for those poor fish:(.

Sit down and talk with your father and tell him that you realize now that you did poor research when you got your first tank. Tell him that due to your error in judgment, the fish do require a healthier larger environment than you are currently providing them.

If you own your mistakes, then your father will see it in a new light. He will also respect that.

If he just thinks you want a larger tank because you want a larger tank, then he'll brush it off.

P.S. a 20 gallon would do nicely, you don't really need 30 gallons

LyndaB said:
Sit down and talk with your father and tell him that you realize now that you did poor research when you got your first tank. Tell him that due to your error in judgment, the fish do require a healthier larger environment than you are currently providing them.

If you own your mistakes, then your father will see it in a new light. He will also respect that.

If he just thinks you want a larger tank because you want a larger tank, then he'll brush it off.

P.S. a 20 gallon would do nicely, you don't really need 30 gallons

Tnx lynda b. Is there any online website that I can get all I need for the 20G for about 50 pounds / 60-70 USD he wouldn't spend a lot cuz ours altogether was 90 pounds / 120USD so he wouldn't wna spend a lot again. The Amazon tanks were really expensive like 100 pounds for bust the tank. Any websites i can buy a cheap one and will deliver in UK? Tnx

maestromad said:
Ok do a search on web for uk sites tere are lots of offers on at the minute

I found an interpet 48 litre with a panoramic view for 70 pounds. Is this a nice tank? Is it practicAl? Will my fish be happy? Also I was looking at a tetra 60 litre for 120 pounds with a filter heater etc. Any recommended tank that u can name?

I got my 110l tank for £101 with filter heater in maidenhead aquatics las month. Don't know about the ones you've mentioned sorry :D

maestromad said:
I got my 110l tank for £101 with filter heater in maidenhead aquatics las month. Don't know about the ones you've mentioned sorry :D

Where is that? I need help! I need a cheap yet good tank with a good light soooonnnnnn!!! Helllllpppp

Back
Top Bottom