Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Closed Thread

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-06-2005, 04:16 PM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Please help--Zone Alarm/computer issues

[center:95eb5d765e] [/center:95eb5d765e] FYI-my computer prowess is sub par--I'm lucky the thing turns on everyday. My current problem is an old one that keeps reappearing--it usually fixes itself (which is great, since I have no clue). When Zone Alarm updates, smiles stop moving, most pictures in posts do not appear and links in e-mails (ads and such) are not there (I know there should be something). In the past, less than 48 hours goes by and things are back to normal, but I updated ZA and reentered my license code (never had to do that before). Also, AA times out—often. Is that me, or does it happen to everyone? If anyone can help, that would be fantastic; however, please don't tell me in computerease; simple baby-step English would be great.

Here are my current settings:
[center:95eb5d765e]Firewall

Program Control

Anti-spyware

Anti-virus Monitoring (this one has me confused—before the last upgrade, it was working and I cannot tell where to reenter the license code)

E-mail Protection

Privacy

Alerts & Logs
[/center:95eb5d765e]

If anything is not on correctly or on too high, please let me know. TIA!

Old 12-06-2005, 04:36 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
I have zero problems with aa timing out. I suggest adding aquariumadvice as a domain that is 'safe' or 'trusted' so that alot of these zone alarm limits dont take affect here. The issue with images could be the high setting on the ad blocking.

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
Old 12-06-2005, 05:04 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to deli_conker
Looks like you have several things on zonealarm running that don't need to be running. For instance, you have antivirus monitoring on, but it's not detecting any anti virus on your computer. I would turn that stuff off. Even if you have anti virus stuff on there, I would still turn it off. Play with the settings starting at the highest, and then pulling them back on how strict they are. Don't change more than one at once, that way you'll know which one made the difference and you can raise others afterwards and see if they affect it also. Trial and error is probably your best tool at this point.

For future reference, you could give us better screenshots by pressing Alt+PrtScn, then going into a paint program and hitting either Ctrl-V or "Edit --> Paste". And then saving the pic as a jpeg.
Old 12-06-2005, 05:09 PM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
With event logging on when you have an AA timeout is there an entry in the ZA event log?

I would drop your Ad blocking down to Med and see if that fixes your smilies.

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
Old 12-06-2005, 05:24 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Regular

Send a message via AIM to Syn6644
I'm having the same problem on my laptop. Ever since I had zonealarm, I can't view some pictures on aa and other sites. Don't know why this is going on, I have zone alarm on my other computer and it works fine. Computers are just crazy.
1 Bi-color Blenny
1 Scissortail
Several hermits
Several snails
2xSmall Brittle Stars
1xFrogspawn, 1xStarburst
2 PHs
Aqua C skimmer
2x96 watt Current CF
Old 12-06-2005, 05:29 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to sudz
zone alarm will think that some pictures that are hosted from other domains (websites) are advertisments, and block them. Setting that setting down to medium or even low (firefox has a built in pop-up stopper) may solve this.

I myself just use a router and windows firewall. I cannot be portscanned. The only port that is open is port 80, 22 and 23, and thats for my HTTP and FTP servers.

Let us know!
5 Gallon Guppy tank (Daughters tank)
Old 12-07-2005, 06:07 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I myself just use a router and windows firewall. I cannot be portscanned. The only port that is open is port 80, 22 and 23, and thats for my HTTP and FTP servers.
I have no idea what that means.The button links are showing up in my e-mail again and my smilies are moving around on photobucket, but they are still not doing there thing here. I cleaned out the cache a few times, maybe I need to restart the computer, or .

*edit--that's odd, my post smilies are moving, but not my sig smilies

Old 12-07-2005, 07:41 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to sudz
try firefox?

http://www.mozilla.com/firefox/

its an alternative browser than Internet explorer. I've been using it for over a year and NEVER have any problems.

Its also more secure, takes less space, and faster.

Sorry about the techno-babble.
5 Gallon Guppy tank (Daughters tank)
Old 12-07-2005, 08:18 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

I'm using Firefox after a ton of problems earlier in the year. Actually, I switched to Firefox and ZoneAlarm at about the same time.

Now, no smilies are moving. I give up.

Old 12-08-2005, 06:32 PM   #10

i HATE zonealarm... thats all i have to say. LOL. I've used both Mcafee and Norton before but currently am using The windows one (that comes with the service pack 2 or whatever) I have been told that a "hardware" firewall is the best.. but i have no clue which one to get... and they are expensive.

Closed Thread

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com