Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-01-2009, 07:33 PM   #1
AA Team Emeritus

Pointless Fish Rants

This post is not intended to propose debates over animal cruelty, business or moral ethics, etc. nor provide a venue to "bash" particular businesses; nonetheless, every now and then it seems this forum brings about negative comments in regards to large chain fish stores. I understand the frustrations with those who believe the business is not in the best interest for the animals and you would be correct that the "almighty dollar" wins out, but if you are going to point a finger in blame you should first take a good look in the mirror. I see relentless posts on many forums commenting on the horrid conditions our "fish novelties" are kept in, yet their ill feelings have not warranted the consideration of not purchasing the fish. If you purchase something, there is a need to restock it. Supply and demand, quite simple. I will step down from the soapbox, but there is no point in creating a fuss if you are still going to support the companies time and again.

Innovator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 08:21 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

I got lost reading that.
I think you mean for us not to support the big fish stores and go to the small locally owned LFS's. Where I live there is only one, and that store doesn't have a lot of things that I use..
Good luck,
Charles

Old 05-01-2009, 08:48 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

Post removed. Good Lord....
Old 05-01-2009, 10:39 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Regular

What's your point you are complaining as well? that solves nothing
Old 05-01-2009, 11:16 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Send a message via MSN to Zagz
Before this thread goes any further I will issue a warning to remain civil. Innovator has made his point, politely and not offensively, any posts that become offensive will be removed from this thread.

-----------
Site Administrator
Zagz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 11:18 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to krap101
He's basically saying that people complain about fish stores having bad quality fish, and that since you're buying them, the businesses don't need to change..

I totally agree
Old 05-02-2009, 12:39 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Send a message via MSN to Zagz
I agree with the theory myself. It is the same as anything else, where there is demand, there will be a need for supply. There are some lfs's here I do not support, regardless of the price of their livestock, based on principal.

While I like everyone else, enjoy a good deal, I have found other aquarists that I can buy fish from at good prices.

-----------
Site Administrator
Zagz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 01:34 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

100% agreeable

As far as supporting your LFS instead and complaining they dont have a selection, ask them because they do hand pick what they get still, chains dont.

All LFS go thru a regional supply usually near a major airport, they keep the livestock close to hubs like ohare and LAX ect so they are readily shipped, readily pick-upable by locals and alot less time in transport. One of my LFS's does this as well as stock with locally bred hobbyist supplied fingerlings.
Old 05-02-2009, 02:22 AM   #9
Dividing by 0
Community Admin

POTM Champion

I agree with innovator and zagz. I boycott the chain stores, and opt to buy from a fantastic LFS I have close by. The prices are probably on the order of 50% more at the LFS, but it is worth it to me to buy from folks who are passionate about the hobby, and are in it for more than just $$$.
fort384 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 03:15 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

^^^ most LFS have a frequent buyer program too, id ask em since the prices are so high most use that to offset and keep a solid loyal customer base.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com