Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-13-2019, 05:16 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Pond in Canada ?

Is it ok to keep koi or other fish like Mollyís in a pond . Iím thinking of making a pond but u know Canada is cold in the winter . Reply only if you live in Canada . This is for all the Canadians

Old 05-13-2019, 06:18 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

Yes you can keep koi and goldfish but not mollies. Mollies need warmer water. You will have to make sure that your pond is deep enough to winterize.
Also make sure you know what wildlife is around. I Iive in an area with cranes, stray cats and raccoons so I don't think a pond would work for me. (I'm from Ontario)

Old 05-14-2019, 05:36 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

I was wondering the same thing. As Iím from the states but live in Canada now. But I live in the bush so I guess I canít make a pond. Bears and wolfs and lots of other things around. ☹️☹️☹️
Old 05-14-2019, 06:16 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

I mean unless you want to build an outdoor shed with a pond in it. Or find a barrier to keep wild animals from eating your fish.
Old 05-15-2019, 04:21 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

If you want to go a little shallower add a couple trough type heaters once it starts to freeze. I don't live in Canada but I live in high elevation mountains where it hits -25F at certain times of the winter. I've seen this idea keep a pond from freezing solid.

Tags
canada, pond

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com