Poor fish :(

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mrs.h2012

Aquarium Advice Addict
I was looking on CL in my area for supplies for the bigger tank to just to see what's out there.. And came across an add that included a 20g tank that came with fish... The kicker is the fish included, made me sad :( two angels, a baby shark, and 2 algae eaters.. All in a 20g.... :(

There's all types of people out there in the world. In reality they are probably selling it because they got sick of cleaning it or fish dying. Seems like almost everyone selling the tank is for one of those two reasons, or both.

Moved to AOT.

I was looking on CL in my area for supplies for the bigger tank to just to see what's out there.. And came across an add that included a 20g tank that came with fish... The kicker is the fish included, made me sad :( two angels, a baby shark, and 2 algae eaters.. All in a 20g.... :(

Just shows not everyone is aptly qualified to properly take care of fish.:nono:

It's crazy how many people buy fish knowing they haven't got a clue about their requirements.
Look at this pic I found on a well known social networking site, someone in the comments even said they all look happy and healthy hahaha

Attachments

• image-2292698984.jpg
    image-2292698984.jpg
    107.5 KB · Views: 119
That looks like a way to punish fish. That system is overcrowded and most likely hasn't been cleaned properly.

bettaowner said:
That looks like a way to punish fish. That system is overcrowded and most likely hasn't been cleaned properly.

Looks like most of them at the top are gasping for oxygen. Very sad!

Hmm...you guys are kinda implying a lot here. First off, we don't know the health of the fish. It's heavily stocked, sure, but there could be a sump in there, and there's no telling how big that tank is. And just because there's a bunch at the top doesn't mean they are gasping for oxygen..

jetajockey said:
Hmm...you guys are kinda implying a lot here. First off, we don't know the health of the fish. It's heavily stocked, sure, but there could be a sump in there, and there's no telling how big that tank is. And just because there's a bunch at the top doesn't mean they are gasping for oxygen..

I'm on the same social network site and I know all about this tank and the lady who owns it, so I could say hmmm your implying that I don't know what I'm talking about when really you could of asked if I did before that comment.... There is no sump on the tank a very little filter, can't remember what size tank off top of my head an there are over 200 fish in there and I'm pretty sure they are gasping for oxygen I have seen videos of the tank.

I'm on the same social network site and I know all about this tank and the lady who owns it, so I could say hmmm your implying that I don't know what I'm talking about when really you could of asked if I did before that comment....
I was just going by what you said in your post, the 'look at a pic I found on a social networking site' part.

All I'm trying to do is keep people from needlessly bashing others and making wild assumptions. You may know more about the situation but as you see the replies just start bandwagon along.

There is no sump on the tank a very little filter, can't remember what size tank off top of my head an there are over 200 fish in there and I'm pretty sure they are gasping for oxygen I have seen videos of the tank.

Based on the dimensions in that photo, it looks like a pretty large tank. I have 100+ guppies in a smaller tank than that and they are just fine, and I know very well what I'm doing.

Out of the fish in the picture there's only a few that look like they are gasping at the surface, and for all we know they could just be eating off the surface, since it's a still photo. It's not the kind of display tank I would personally do, but I don't really see any grievous issues with it either other than general overstocking.

The good (I guess you could call it good) news is that if people do keep fish in a terrible setup, they don't keep them for long, because they die.

Last edited:
jetajockey said:
I was just going by what you said in your post, the 'look at a pic I found on a social networking site' part.

All I'm trying to do is keep people from needlessly bashing others and making wild assumptions. You may know more about the situation but as you see the replies just start bandwagon along.

Based on the dimensions in that photo, it looks like a pretty large tank. I have 100+ guppies in a smaller tank than that and they are just fine, and I know very well what I'm doing.

Out of the fish in the picture there's only a few that look like they are gasping at the surface, and for all we know they could just be eating off the surface, since it's a still photo. It's not the kind of display tank I would personally do, but I don't really see any grievous issues with it either other than general overstocking.

The good (I guess you could call it good) news is that if people do keep fish in a terrible setup, they don't keep them for long, because they die.

Well like I said I've seen videos of the tank and in that video there was no food and there was a hell of a lot of fish gasping at the top but not gonna argue with you when you obviously know a lot more about this tank than I do from 1 photo and plus it's not my tank, maybe I should of worded my first comment better. And unfortunately this woman just buys new fish when others die. Have a good day!

jetajockey said:

I m new to fish, IMO coming out of hustle and bustle of city life I wanna to watch fish tank and relax and see them swimming freely, why do you need 100+ fishes in small tank, any reason? Or is it keep breeding?

GatwickGuy said:
I m new to fish, IMO coming out of hustle and bustle of city life I wanna to watch fish tank and relax and see them swimming freely, why do you need 100+ fishes in small tank, any reason? Or is it keep breeding?

Hiya. I didn't mean that my guppy tank was small, just smaller than the one in the pic. That tank looks large just based on the height vs the size of the fish. I currently have most of my guppies in a 40b. The reason it's so heavily stocked is because in an effort to free up space I moved all of my guppy lines to a single tank. The numbers seem dramatic but considering that the females drop 20-30 fry each it doesn't take long to add up. The prolific nature of livebearers, especially coupled with a large volume tank, often results in a situation like the one above.

I usually sell off when I get too overloaded, but I could see how a random passerby could come to the conclusion that I didn't know what I was doing.

I try not to get too involved in these threads but this stuff is etched in stone. I'd hate to be clicking around one day and stumble onto a site where I find people having a moral conniption over one of my photos.

When I find posts like this, I like to try and get their tanks/fish if possible. I have picked up a few bad-off fish from people who didn't know what they were getting into and then I re-homed the fish to better tanks or else traded them in at a good lfs so somebody with a better tank could take care of them. Flipping tanks is work, but if one has a bit of space, it can certainly be done. I don't have much space for extra tanks at the moment, but I will still offer to take in fish for people whenever I can.
Like jeta said, there are lots of reasons people end up in the situations that they do, so I try not to be too harsh. Of course some do bother me, but I do my best to offer assistance when possible.

Last edited:
It sickens me to see people enter the hobby without doing any research.

I definitely didn't do sufficient research before setting up my tank so I'm stuck doing a fish in cycle, but I'm really really trying.

not-pro said:
I definitely didn't do sufficient research before setting up my tank so I'm stuck doing a fish in cycle, but I'm really really trying.

There is nothing wrong with fish in cycling! Don't get down on yourself, I fish in cycled my first tank too. If your diligent about keeping the water healthy you aren't harming your fish. It's not torturous. It's one of my biggest pet peeves to see people bash fish in's. The fish I used in my cycle are beautiful, happy and healthy. You will be just fine :)

Edit: I wouldn't hesitate to do another fish in if I was to cycle another tank.

There is nothing wrong with fish in cycling! Don't get down on yourself, I fish in cycled my first tank too. If your diligent about keeping the water healthy you aren't harming your fish. It's not torturous. It's one of my biggest pet peeves to see people bash fish in's. The fish I used in my cycle are beautiful, happy and healthy. You will be just fine :)

Edit: I wouldn't hesitate to do another fish in if I was to cycle another tank.

I'm not bashing it, but I think it's clear that once a tank is cycled less water change and change in general is required... so less stress on the fish... and mine is a real diva. Also, the only reason I did a fish in is because I didn't know better. At the least I should have given myself the option of a fishless cycle... but I didn't know it would be a good idea.

My next aquarium will be a fishless cycle. I'm not really sure what size to buy, because originally i wanted a 10 gallon because I have 3 10 gallon compatible filters sitting around, but now having used an aquaclear filter; I can't justify using them. Ever.

No one should ever bash someone for not doing their research before buying fish. I didn't, and I learned the hard way all because i wanted to get them for my daughter. Not everyone has the savvy to not trust the LFS. Now, I've done TONS of research and am the proud owner of a 29 freshwater with a great community and a 10 that I'm using to try and breed Endlers and RCS to share with fellow hobbyists.

If you want to knock anyone, knock people who don't research having kids first! That's way more of a crime than not knowing any better about researching their pets.

No one should ever bash someone for not doing their research before buying fish. I didn't, and I learned the hard way all because i wanted to get them for my daughter. Not everyone has the savvy to not trust the LFS. Now, I've done TONS of research and am the proud owner of a 29 freshwater with a great community and a 10 that I'm using to try and breed Endlers and RCS to share with fellow hobbyists.

If you want to knock anyone, knock people who don't research having kids first! That's way more of a crime than not knowing any better about researching their pets.

I wasn't knocking anybody, just grumpy with myself for leaping before I look. :)

Didn't mean to sound like it was directed towards you; sorry about that. It's just that I have read too many times people jumping on noobs because they didn't do their research first. I work in the financial industry. If someone invested their money in options and lost their shirt, I wouldn't knock them for not doing their research. Their advisor should have done their job and explained it. Same thing with the folks at the LFS. One SHOULD be able to go in their and take their word for it. That's just not the case. And this does not make them ignorant. Hopefully, if anything, it pushes them to do the research and get "hooked" like I did.

Back
Top Bottom