Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-11-2012, 08:30 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Poor fish :(

I was looking on CL in my area for supplies for the bigger tank to just to see what's out there.. And came across an add that included a 20g tank that came with fish... The kicker is the fish included, made me sad two angels, a baby shark, and 2 algae eaters.. All in a 20g....

Old 09-12-2012, 08:32 AM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

There's all types of people out there in the world. In reality they are probably selling it because they got sick of cleaning it or fish dying. Seems like almost everyone selling the tank is for one of those two reasons, or both.

Moved to AOT.

Old 09-12-2012, 08:43 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to jcolon Send a message via Skype™ to jcolon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs.h2012 View Post
I was looking on CL in my area for supplies for the bigger tank to just to see what's out there.. And came across an add that included a 20g tank that came with fish... The kicker is the fish included, made me sad two angels, a baby shark, and 2 algae eaters.. All in a 20g....
Just shows not everyone is aptly qualified to properly take care of fish.
Old 09-12-2012, 12:11 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

It sickens me to see people enter the hobby without doing any research.

Rule number two: Always cycle your tank.
bettaowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 12:22 PM   #5

It's crazy how many people buy fish knowing they haven't got a clue about their requirements.
Look at this pic I found on a well known social networking site, someone in the comments even said they all look happy and healthy hahaha
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2292698984.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	107.5 KB
ID:	118151  
Old 09-13-2012, 03:55 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

That looks like a way to punish fish. That system is overcrowded and most likely hasn't been cleaned properly.

Rule number two: Always cycle your tank.
bettaowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 04:37 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by bettaowner
That looks like a way to punish fish. That system is overcrowded and most likely hasn't been cleaned properly.
Looks like most of them at the top are gasping for oxygen. Very sad!
Old 09-13-2012, 04:50 AM   #8
come get me tang police!

Hmm...you guys are kinda implying a lot here. First off, we don't know the health of the fish. It's heavily stocked, sure, but there could be a sump in there, and there's no telling how big that tank is. And just because there's a bunch at the top doesn't mean they are gasping for oxygen..
Old 09-13-2012, 06:59 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetajockey
Hmm...you guys are kinda implying a lot here. First off, we don't know the health of the fish. It's heavily stocked, sure, but there could be a sump in there, and there's no telling how big that tank is. And just because there's a bunch at the top doesn't mean they are gasping for oxygen..
I'm on the same social network site and I know all about this tank and the lady who owns it, so I could say hmmm your implying that I don't know what I'm talking about when really you could of asked if I did before that comment.... There is no sump on the tank a very little filter, can't remember what size tank off top of my head an there are over 200 fish in there and I'm pretty sure they are gasping for oxygen I have seen videos of the tank.
Old 09-13-2012, 07:36 AM   #10
come get me tang police!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrwizard View Post
I'm on the same social network site and I know all about this tank and the lady who owns it, so I could say hmmm your implying that I don't know what I'm talking about when really you could of asked if I did before that comment....
I was just going by what you said in your post, the 'look at a pic I found on a social networking site' part.

All I'm trying to do is keep people from needlessly bashing others and making wild assumptions. You may know more about the situation but as you see the replies just start bandwagon along.

Quote:
There is no sump on the tank a very little filter, can't remember what size tank off top of my head an there are over 200 fish in there and I'm pretty sure they are gasping for oxygen I have seen videos of the tank.
Based on the dimensions in that photo, it looks like a pretty large tank. I have 100+ guppies in a smaller tank than that and they are just fine, and I know very well what I'm doing.

Out of the fish in the picture there's only a few that look like they are gasping at the surface, and for all we know they could just be eating off the surface, since it's a still photo. It's not the kind of display tank I would personally do, but I don't really see any grievous issues with it either other than general overstocking.

The good (I guess you could call it good) news is that if people do keep fish in a terrible setup, they don't keep them for long, because they die.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com