Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-27-2013, 05:58 AM   #51
Aquarium Advice Addict

I don't know, I feel like my current fishless results are tainted already.
I posted my complaints on the different forum so I don't have the thread here, but I got nothing on my cycle after 12 days.
Then I moved my filter to a different bucket and totally started over with new water. After 5 days, nitrites.
Now I can never know - did it take me 17 days to get to nitrites, or was bucket #1 tainted?? To be fair, I actually think it's the latter. I don't think nitrites take that long to form. They usually form in 5-7 days.
Edit: Just remembered, I did also mess around with the filter media in the HOB. On the original bucket I think the flow was somewhat restricted and the biowheel was turning very slowly.

Nonetheless I feel like I need to do ANOTHER one somewhere. I'm out of places to fill with water and cycle, though... lol
I have extra filters and such, so if I find something else, I will do it :P

All in the name of science!!

Old 12-27-2013, 06:00 AM   #52
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mebbid View Post
Some people would much rather do the extra "work" than stare at an empty tank. Personally, I don't really consider water changes and testing to be work. It's just not a big deal.
It's clearly a very personal and subjective topic.
Water changes every day are such a pain in my *** on this hospital tank and it's only a 10g.

Old 12-27-2013, 06:03 AM   #53
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mebbid View Post
Some people would much rather do the extra "work" than stare at an empty tank. Personally, I don't really consider water changes and testing to be work. It's just not a big deal.
I feel like if I could scientifically demonstrate that you can fishless cycle in 2 weeks that more people might go fishless. 2 weeks isn't THAT long for patience!
Old 12-27-2013, 06:05 AM   #54
Aquarium Advice Addict

Maybe when this cycle is done, I will clean the bucket really well to make it bacteria-free, then stick in a new filter and do it again.

I wonder if there is a market out there for virgin clean (never in a tank with fish) cycled filter media?
Old 12-27-2013, 06:06 AM   #55
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by threnjen View Post
I don't know, I feel like my current fishless results are tainted already.
I posted my complaints on the different forum so I don't have the thread here, but I got nothing on my cycle after 12 days.
Then I moved my filter to a different bucket and totally started over with new water. After 5 days, nitrites.
Now I can never know - did it take me 17 days to get to nitrites, or was bucket #1 tainted?? To be fair, I actually think it's the latter. I don't think nitrites take that long to form. They usually form in 5-7 days.
Edit: Just remembered, I did also mess around with the filter media in the HOB. On the original bucket I think the flow was somewhat restricted and the biowheel was turning very slowly.

Nonetheless I feel like I need to do ANOTHER one somewhere. I'm out of places to fill with water and cycle, though... lol
I have extra filters and such, so if I find something else, I will do it :P

All in the name of science!!
RESPECT!!

I want to do some tests like this. It's so hard to control at home. We haven't even mentioned temp, or source water.
Old 12-27-2013, 06:07 AM   #56
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
I feel like if I could scientifically demonstrate that you can fishless cycle in 2 weeks that more people might go fishless. 2 weeks isn't THAT long for patience!
2 weeks is how long my original cycle took but it can go from two weeks to two months. There are a lot of people that have tons of issues with fishless cycling.
Old 12-27-2013, 06:10 AM   #57
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixtyfou View Post
RESPECT!!

I want to do some tests like this. It's so hard to control at home. We haven't even mentioned temp, or source water.
I turn the temp up because bacteria like it and there's no fish. It's like 85 or 86 in there.

I think source water is actually really important to the time taken for the process. Like Mebbid is saying right above me, so many people have problems, so obviously one-size does not fit all (but is that user error or source water? or both?)

For example my water appears to be unusual, it is EXTREMELY soft, but somewhat alkaline. An unusual combination as usually soft and acidic go together, and hard and alkaline.
I'm actually prone to pH crash during my cycles so I have to watch my pH.
Old 12-27-2013, 06:14 AM   #58
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
I wonder if there is a market out there for virgin clean (never in a tank with fish) cycled filter media?
No, because a cup of gavel and a Danio is cheap and the LPS will give it to you.
Old 12-27-2013, 06:15 AM   #59
Aquarium Advice Freak

I'm lucky, I have great source water.
Old 12-27-2013, 06:33 AM   #60
Aquarium Advice Addict

Lucky you :P
Mine sucks, it has no nutrients or anything, and my kH is 0.

Tags
test

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com