Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-27-2013, 04:59 PM   #81
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by threnjen View Post
This is one of the more in-depth articles I have found about the specific bacteria used in the nitrifying process
Nitrifying Bacteria Facts
Ultimately that site is to hawk their bacterial additive, but the info is great

This is one of my faves too

Old 12-27-2013, 05:09 PM   #82
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
I wonder if baking soda should be a part of the fishless cycling plan, to keep pH really high, because growth is improved with that (and a pH crash can really mess people up)

But then, that's just another thing to make cycling confusing.

Good idea, but does add another confusing element. Which brings me to my original question. Why not just fish in cycle :p

Old 12-27-2013, 05:10 PM   #83
Aquarium Advice Freak

"What do you hear Starbuck"

"Nothing, but the rain Sir"

"Get your gun, and bring in the cat."
Old 12-27-2013, 07:01 PM   #84
Aquarium Advice Addict

I wish there was a like button on this forum so I could just thumb up something.

Anyway-
Since I'm all riled up and crazy style about this experiment, and I was making an Amazon order anyway (not that it matters, I have Prime so can order whatever anytime),
I ordered another crappy Aqueon filter to match the one that came with my 10g hospital kit, and another heater, so that I can set up two identical buckets side by side with the same filter and same filter media and perform the experiment.

This of course will need to wait until after the current bucket is fully cycled as I need that media for the better filter I have on the way for the 10g

.... are you following all of this? lol...
Old 12-27-2013, 07:02 PM   #85
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
I wonder if baking soda should be a part of the fishless cycling plan, to keep pH really high, because growth is improved with that (and a pH crash can really mess people up)

But then, that's just another thing to make cycling confusing.

Also I think you would need to add crushed coral to raise ph. Baking soda raises the carbonate hardness Kh of water, the waters buffering capacity (the ability to neutralise acids) also referred to as alkalinity. The higher the kh the more acid you would need to alter the ph as the kh is 'absorbing' the acids.

Crushed coral raises the ph directly from acid to alkaline. Alkaline and alkalinity are not to be confused though.
Old 12-27-2013, 07:03 PM   #86
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
I wish there was a like button on this forum so I could just thumb up something.

Anyway-
Since I'm all riled up and crazy style about this experiment, and I was making an Amazon order anyway (not that it matters, I have Prime so can order whatever anytime),
I ordered another crappy Aqueon filter to match the one that came with my 10g hospital kit, and another heater, so that I can set up two identical buckets side by side with the same filter and same filter media and perform the experiment.

This of course will need to wait until after the current bucket is fully cycled as I need that media for the better filter I have on the way for the 10g

.... are you following all of this? lol...

Lol yes. I eagerly await the results of these tests
Old 12-27-2013, 07:03 PM   #87
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caliban07 View Post
Also I think you would need to add crushed coral to raise ph. Baking soda raises the carbonate hardness Kh of water, the waters buffering capacity (the ability to neutralise acids) also referred to as alkalinity. The higher the kh the more acid you would need to alter the ph as the kh is 'absorbing' the acids.

Crushed coral raises the ph directly from acid to alkaline. Alkaline and alkalinity are not to be confused though.
I'm not sure that you require a buffer though because I don't think the bacteria care about pH swings the way fish do (although I can't say I have read documents confirming this either way)
The baking soda is just to keep the pH above 7.0 so the bacteria growth doesn't slow down, not to increase buffering capacity.
Old 12-27-2013, 07:08 PM   #88
Aquarium Advice Addict

Is there a test kit out there that will test over 5ppm ammonia or nitrite?

eh, probably, but I don't know that I love science enough to spend extra on those =|
It IS a little annoying though that some of my results are simply "off the charts". I would rather have a NUMBER there, especially in pursuit of SCIENCE!
Old 12-27-2013, 07:08 PM   #89
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
I'm not sure that you require a buffer though because I don't think the bacteria care about pH swings the way fish do (although I can't say I have read documents confirming this either way)
The baking soda is just to keep the pH above 7.0 so the bacteria growth doesn't slow down, not to increase buffering capacity.

By adding the baking soda you are increasing buffering capacity. You are right this would help keep ph above 7.0 but in order to 'keep ph really high' as you stated you would need crushed coral or limestone.
Old 12-27-2013, 07:09 PM   #90
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Is there a test kit out there that will test over 5ppm ammonia or nitrite?

eh, probably, but I don't know that I love science enough to spend extra on those =|
It IS a little annoying though that some of my results are simply "off the charts". I would rather have a NUMBER there, especially in pursuit of SCIENCE!

Haha just put of the charts or unable to record.

Tags
test

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com