Post your test data

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sixtyfou

Aquarium Advice Freak
We talk a lot about testing. I'm sure some of you have some pretty fancy test data. Maybe even a nice chart of data from a fishless tank set up. Show it off.

Chirp, chirp

First of all, you cannot wait 3 minutes and post again to get people to respond.

My test data is:

ph: 7.2
dgh: 2
amm.: 0
nitrite: 0
nitrate: 1

thats all i test for, im not worried about anything else

I'm looking for more of a graph or documentation of start up. I've got three tanks, that all look perfect now. The fun is in the startup. I'm thinking about doing a tank start and using a seneye to monitor the whole process. That's what I want to see.

When I did my tank set ups I recorded everything in a lab book and didn't keep it. I'm totally regretting that now. I've been recording stuff lately in excel, but now that everything is established there really isn't anything of interest to post.

I guess I'll just have to get another tank:) Yeah, I totally need another tank:)

Just so you don't feel ignored...
I just finished cycling my 90g and I tested a lot (excessively) and logged a lot of my results. I'm a spreadsheet keeper.
There just isn't really anything to say about it much though... you're right that once it's cycled the excitement of that whole part goes away :p

When I thought the tank was cycled I did this thing where I tested all parameters every 2 hours after dosing ammonia, just because I wanted to see what happened. My tank cleared out 5ppm in 20 hours (or less - the last stretch I was just sleeping). It was fun to check it every 2 hours while I was awake and observe the cycle in action.

I deleted my file though, since it's all over =\ So I have nothing to share.

That's exactly what I'm curious to see. I'd really like to see the test data from one of those Seneye devices on a fishless start since it would have data even when you're sleeping.

I don't have a monitor, but I do keep a log of data which Excel formats into a pretty chart for me. This goes back 4 months and starts with the tank's cycle.

w0jiq0.jpg

Sodbuster that is a really cool chart. It certainly gave me some ideas for how I want to log my next tank set up. I've failed to log the temp this whole time. I look at it everyday, but I wasn't logging it.

Is this a saltwater tank? I'm I reading it right that you did a 100% water change in October?

Sodbuster that is a really cool chart. It certainly gave me some ideas for how I want to log my next tank set up. I've failed to log the temp this whole time. I look at it everyday, but I wasn't logging it.

Is this a saltwater tank? I'm I reading it right that you did a 100% water change in October?
Yeah, I log everything I measure because, well, just because, I guess. :)

The tank is freshwater and yes, in early October I swapped out the generic substrate for Seachem Flourite, so I marked that as a 100% water change.

I'm no Excel expert, but I have figured out how to do some interesting things with the chart. The most useful is that it's dynamic so I can choose to show all the data or just a time-frame I want. Normally, I only look at the last 30 days just to see any trends. Most recently, I've been experimenting with PPS Pro fertilizer which is why the Nitrate and Phosphate levels are not yet steady.

If you want, I'd be happy to send it to you in .xls format so you can play with it.

I'd like that very much. It would probably be useful for everyone if you posted the table structure.

Sodbuster, you laid your cards, and they are sweet, and I will regard you as an authority.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm kind of surprised that this didn't get more responses. Is sodbuster the only guy that logs test results?

I suspect that the talk of testing and record keeping isn't really how most people are operating.

I like to record keep, just not so sure what to say about it, and I haven't graphed my results.

I bought a pack of 24 API vials and a test tube rack so that I could keep my test results every day and be able to better distinguish between small variations. Also bought a different nitrates test. I kept 10 tests in a row in the rack, just washed them all a little while ago. I'm entering my values for every day into a spreadsheet.

I'd love to see the spread sheet. I won't judge. I'm keeping one now to. Sodbusters was a great model, and I think I'll get my seneye tomorrow. Comparing test data is fun as long as nobody gets snotty about it.

If you download that doc and bring it into excel all the background structure is there. He did a really nice job and consider some points I had not.

If you download that doc and bring it into excel all the background structure is there. He did a really nice job and consider some points I had not.

I tried and it says requested url is not found..what do I do now to get it?
Edit: I went to file then download...it let me...thanks

I had the same problem the first time I hit it. Seems like I wasn't logged into google, or something of that sort. Try again, after making sure you are in your google docs account.

Back
Top Bottom