Powerhead water flow

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ranette

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Was hoping to get some advice about how much water flow is too much for my tank. Currently have two "wavemakers" that produce about 850 gpm each in a 40g. Have them in the back of the tank pointed towards each other, but it seems the water flow is too much. Using the ratio of 30 - 50x, thought I would be good with up to 2000 gpm but now I'm not sure. Sometimes I feel the flow is too great so I will turn one of them off for awhile to give my fish a break but don't want the inconsistency of the water flow to be a problem either. The tank is fairly new (3 months) and I have an Electric blue damsel, Three stripe damsel, Oc clown, scooter Blenny and a cleaner shrimp. When first ready for fish added the 2 damsels first and recently added the others. The damsels didn't seem to have any problems with the water flow, but since adding the clown, he seems to be struggling with that much water flow. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom