Predator in a 75g?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

enrgizerbunny

Aquarium Advice Addict
Are there any predatory fish that can be housed in a 75g aquarium?

I'm thinking something that I could feed live fish- if such a beast exists for a 75.

Texas cichlid, red devil, oscar or a gar

What kind of gar? I thought they got huge?
Any such thing as a tank mate in such a small home?

I don't really like Oscars, Cichlids in general. There's an adult Oscar that I could get with the tank, but it just doesn't interest me.

Not an alligator gar lol

I was thinking of a needle nose gar if I remember correctly they get 12 inches but one would be ok in a 75g

A needle nose gar is not really a gar but it's called a gar and yes I was right it gets 12inches and no he couldn't have a tank mate other than maybe another needle nose

How about a sting ray like a tea cup sting ray they get around 12 inches as well but they are also predators eat small fish and shrimp

Or even better a needle nose and a sting Ray one is a tip swimmer the other is a bottom swimmer. Btw I have had both of these

I did some searching and I like the rocket gar better than the needlenose. Needlenose are more readily available in my area though.
Did you remove the barbs from your rays?

I did some searching and I like the rocket gar better than the needlenose. Needlenose are more readily available in my area though.
Did you remove the barbs from your rays?

No i didn't I was just careful around him when cleaning and such if you do sting rays just remember you will need sand not gravel

Please don't put a stingray in a 75. There is no such thing as a teacup stingray. It is a lfs term referring to a couple ray species. They're just juvenile rays an will still get quite massive. I'd say you want at least a 6x3 foot aquarium for a ray. The needle nose should be fine though

Aqadvisor had tea cup ray as its own species though. Says it tops out at 14", but would be too big for my tank.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Just remember that is a 12-14" disc not long. In an 18" wide tank that doesn't leave much room to play. I'd say 14-24" depending on ray species.

Just remember that is a 12-14" disc not long. In an 18" wide tank that doesn't leave much room to play. I'd say 14-24" depending on ray species.

Yeah. I'm not very interested in rays anyway.

Aqadvisor had tea cup ray as its own species though. Says it tops out at 14", but would be too big for my tank.

It's max size yes but it takes years to get that big given the right diet and conditions. Mine never got that big btw is was about 9 inches for years

It's max size yes but it takes years to get that big given the right diet and conditions. Mine never got that big btw is was about 9 inches for years

You should still prepare for max size before buying anything.

Don't know about the bichir. I thought lead fish were mainly hidden, I'd like fish I see a lot. I'm leaving toward rocket gar/freshwater barracuda.

Those would be nice id say one or the other because they will have a big bio load but take pics when you get what your going to get I love predator tanks :)

Rocket gar and freshwater barracuda and hujeta gar are all the same fish. Different names.

Back
Top Bottom