pregnancy and tank maintenance?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

christine2012

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Ok guys! Got a good one for you.

My husband and I just found out we are expecting baby #2 and of course the first thing that comes to mind is "but can I still do water changes?" I'd ask my husband to do it, but he is clueless! Knowing him he wouldn't dechlorinate :/
I've been Googling, and Googling, and Googling some more. I can't find any info on this aside from possible salmonella infection, and also to not perform the nitrite test. (If somebody could debunk the salmonella thing I would feel loads better )
I have a water changer on its way, so I won't be lifting the heavy buckets, and also some shoulder length gloves. They wont be here until next week but I am already a few days past due for my pwc on both tanks. What do you guys think, should I go ahead and do it?

Thanks!
Christine

Congratulations! I wouldn't worry too much, but maybe just try not to get your hands too wet just in case if you decide to do the change now before you get the gloves and the water changer. And be sure to wash your hands well after you finish. I don't think you have too much to worry about unless you have a weak immune system or cuts on your hands, but it's always better to be safe just in case.

yes i would have to agree, with making usre you dont have any cuts and washing hand afterwards. of course dont lift any buckets but i think that you will be fine, the only thing i could think of is if i were you i would supervise the hubbs on a pwc untill your gloves and new hose arrive.

Thanks so much! I went ahead and did a small pwc to get them by until next week. It was definitely awkward filling the tank 1/4 bucket at a time lol ;)

Its crazy to me that there's virtually no information on this online!

Congrats! Don't over do it. Even small water changes are better than no water changes. And you wash your hands normally after water changes already right? Just my 2 cents here.

Congrats! That's exciting. I think you should just err on the side of caution. Don't touch no chemicals and use the gloves in the water. That's what I would do if my fish obsessed (future, yet to be found) wife found out she were pregnant. :p

You can lift up to 30 pounds...not sure about the salmonella. I thought that was just turtles and amphibians?? Maybe snails?? Truthfully I don't think there should be too much of a problem if you practice good hand washing. I think the biggest thing would be lifting the heavy buckets;) and as long as the chemicals aren't rated as class c drugs/chemicals by the CDC you are fine to be around them

You can lift up to 30 pounds...not sure about the salmonella. I thought that was just turtles and amphibians?? Maybe snails?? Truthfully I don't think there should be too much of a problem if you practice good hand washing. I think the biggest thing would be lifting the heavy buckets;) and as long as the chemicals aren't rated as class c drugs/chemicals by the CDC you are fine to be around them

you are right about the amphibians, i remember when i was pregnant that i was told i could not hold any reptiles or any in the family.

Tetra1990 said:
Congrats! Don't over do it. Even small water changes are better than no water changes. And you wash your hands normally after water changes already right? Just my 2 cents here.

Oh yeah I am strict about washing up after. Thanks!

scottayy said:
Congrats! That's exciting. I think you should just err on the side of caution. Don't touch no chemicals and use the gloves in the water. That's what I would do if my fish obsessed (future, yet to be found) wife found out she were pregnant. :p

The only chemical I use is prime, so I think I'm in good shape! Good luck finding her lol :)

hcourts said:

Thank you! I know you can call the CDC and check the classifications on just about anything, I'll definitely do that.

When I was pregnant with my two year old we had several reptiles for pets, they always told me no handling for salmonella concerns. I am glad you mentioned that, I completely forgot.

Thanks everybody, we are excited!

Not sure how big your tank is but, get you a pair of arm-length gloves, a 55 gallon Rubbermaid trash can with wheels and a small pond pump with hose. This will give extra protection to you and you can pre-treat the water before it goes into in the tank and all your hubby has to do is push the barrel to the tank for you. As far a chemicals so, just use them in a well ventilated area and wear your gloves when using them. And congrats on the future bundle of joy!

Back
Top Bottom