Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-26-2012, 07:57 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Freak

I'm in a similar boat, although I won't have to evacuate. I live in an urban area though, so an inverter won't work, and I don't have the cash for a generator. Since I live in an urban area, power usually isn't out for too long. So I'm hoping my tanks will make it. This sucks.....

Old 10-26-2012, 10:04 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

We have a generator! We went out looking for batteries tonight and took us several stores. Just a warning, a lot of Home Depots have notta in the way of D batteries. Or Lowes, in out area at least. We ended up finding them at CVS. lol

Old 10-27-2012, 09:48 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Eastern shore maryland.... Chesapeake bay is my backyard will probably just whisk the tank every few hours and try to add warm water to it everyday and just do my best
Old 10-27-2012, 09:55 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Regular

Mountains of nova. Top floor of 30 yr old apt building that shakes and makes cracking sounds when the winds go over 40mph. The water in my tank shakes when that happens so im Draining my tanks and putting fish in buckets with air pumps till its over. Don't need my 125 dumpin on the neighbors below. Did it a few months ago during those 80+mph windstorms didn't lose any fish. Luckily my 300 is in my dads garage right now so it should be fine. Hope everyone and their fish friends makes it through the storm safely. God bless you all
Old 10-28-2012, 12:24 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl1385
I have a really dumb question... Weather forecasters are predicting that Hurricane Sandy is going to slam NJ on Monday night into Tuesday or Tuesday. I live right on the beach ( 3 houses in HOORAY FOR ME!!!)
What can I do to prepare my tanks for a power outage if one happens? Or anything else for that matter?
Buy a battery powered air pump will help to maintain dissolved oxygen levels and to keep heat in the tank wrap thick blanket around the tank don't feed the fish while the power is down filters aren't working or if your aquarium is a lot of expense you put into it invest on a portable generator
Old 10-28-2012, 04:10 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Freak

If worst comes to worst an you can't do anything, our 30gal was fine a few years ago when we got hit by Isabel and lost power for about 5 days. In this sort of a situation, though, just make sure to do a water change ASAP.
10 Gal - Betta tank
KryptiCouple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 05:20 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Yeah this is gonna suck I live in VA right next to the Chesapeake bay so I'm right in it's path
I'm gonna do 50% water changes on all tanks
And swoosh water around every now as I did during the power outages
Old 10-28-2012, 05:23 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Activist

I can't do anything.

I have the tanks running with no lights and I'm not home. I fed them minimally yesterday and did a WC last night.
To be honest the way things are looking i don't even know if I'll have a house when we get back, let alone fish tanks.
I had to evacuate bc I live 3 houses in from the boardwalk and the ocean was nicely making her way up to the boardwalk this morning.
Good luck to everyone and stay safe!
Old 10-28-2012, 06:44 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl1385
I can't do anything.

I have the tanks running with no lights and I'm not home. I fed them minimally yesterday and did a WC last night.
To be honest the way things are looking i don't even know if I'll have a house when we get back, let alone fish tanks.
I had to evacuate bc I live 3 houses in from the boardwalk and the ocean was nicely making her way up to the boardwalk this morning.
Good luck to everyone and stay safe!
Good luck to you and your family. I'm in NJ, and supposedly we are getting this thing full blast. Luckily, I live in an area that shouldn't go down for to long as we are a few miles from the power station. I feel for those along the coast and the folks who live near rivers.
Old 10-28-2012, 08:33 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

Good luck! Just a warning, I don't want to make you feel bad but storm surge is supposed to 6-10 FT as far as I know and cover Long Beach Island. I hope everyone stays safe!

Tags
sand

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com