Preparing for Hurricane Sandy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JerseyGirl1385

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a really dumb question... Weather forecasters are predicting that Hurricane Sandy is going to slam NJ on Monday night into Tuesday or Tuesday. I live right on the beach ( 3 houses in HOORAY FOR ME!!!)
What can I do to prepare my tanks for a power outage if one happens? Or anything else for that matter?

If I learned anything from the surge of posts last year from power Outtages when the east coast got slammed is invest in either a generator (best option), a hook up for your car battery for power (second best) a battery back up for like computers with a ton of batteries or mod it to except larger batteries. And lastly battery powered air pumps....power Outtages are terrible lol

Oh man! I have nothing to offer fish wise, but stay safe! I'll be thinking of you. Scary. Please let us know you're okay once the weather has past!

get a generator and get one asap as a lot of other people will want them in case you lose electricity. it's one of the best investments i've made. used it 3 times last year. it really saved my tank

jpchin said:
get a generator and get one asap as a lot of other people will want them in case you lose electricity. it's one of the best investments i've made. used it 3 times last year. it really saved my tank

+1 generator is the way to go.

If you don't have the cash for a generator you could look into a power inverter that hooks up to a car. They are much more affordable and work fine for short term outages. I agree though a generator is best.

Ok- the thing is, if it is necessary I'd have to evacuate. I wouldn't have my car.
Right now, today, I don't have cash for a generator- even the smallest one.

How long can my tanks survive with no filter/no aerator.

I'm so screwed.

Just get a battery powered aerator from the walmart fishing section, they last for several hours. If the tank isn't heavily stocked it will probably be fine for several hours if not a few days without aeration also.

Same problem here even though I'm further inland in MD
We have a generator though
Here's the weather forecast for my area lol
Not very detailed sorry

image-1450499034.jpg

Philly here! People are already going nutso around here already.... We invested in a small generator a few years ago because our power goes out frequently. Its been a lifesaver! The battery-powered aerators last atleast two full days (with good batteries)- we use them when we go crabbing. A power inverter (plugs into your car power outlet & gives you electrical plugs) works, too, and only runs $20-25 at walmart. Also, do some decent water changes now before the power goes. Hoping for the best for all of our fish friends on the east coast!!!!

Reactions: HN1
I'm in a similar boat, although I won't have to evacuate. I live in an urban area though, so an inverter won't work, and I don't have the cash for a generator. Since I live in an urban area, power usually isn't out for too long. So I'm hoping my tanks will make it. This sucks.....

We have a generator! We went out looking for batteries tonight and took us several stores. Just a warning, a lot of Home Depots have notta in the way of D batteries. Or Lowes, in out area at least. We ended up finding them at CVS. lol

Eastern shore maryland.... Chesapeake bay is my backyard will probably just whisk the tank every few hours and try to add warm water to it everyday and just do my best

Mountains of nova. Top floor of 30 yr old apt building that shakes and makes cracking sounds when the winds go over 40mph. The water in my tank shakes when that happens so im Draining my tanks and putting fish in buckets with air pumps till its over. Don't need my 125 dumpin on the neighbors below. Did it a few months ago during those 80+mph windstorms didn't lose any fish. Luckily my 300 is in my dads garage right now so it should be fine. Hope everyone and their fish friends makes it through the storm safely. God bless you all

JerseyGirl1385 said:
I have a really dumb question... Weather forecasters are predicting that Hurricane Sandy is going to slam NJ on Monday night into Tuesday or Tuesday. I live right on the beach ( 3 houses in HOORAY FOR ME!!!)
What can I do to prepare my tanks for a power outage if one happens? Or anything else for that matter?

Buy a battery powered air pump will help to maintain dissolved oxygen levels and to keep heat in the tank wrap thick blanket around the tank don't feed the fish while the power is down filters aren't working or if your aquarium is a lot of expense you put into it invest on a portable generator

If worst comes to worst an you can't do anything, our 30gal was fine a few years ago when we got hit by Isabel and lost power for about 5 days. In this sort of a situation, though, just make sure to do a water change ASAP.

Yeah this is gonna suck I live in VA right next to the Chesapeake bay so I'm right in it's path
I'm gonna do 50% water changes on all tanks
And swoosh water around every now as I did during the power outages

I can't do anything.

I have the tanks running with no lights and I'm not home. I fed them minimally yesterday and did a WC last night.
To be honest the way things are looking i don't even know if I'll have a house when we get back, let alone fish tanks.
I had to evacuate bc I live 3 houses in from the boardwalk and the ocean was nicely making her way up to the boardwalk this morning. :)
Good luck to everyone and stay safe!

JerseyGirl1385 said:
I can't do anything.

I have the tanks running with no lights and I'm not home. I fed them minimally yesterday and did a WC last night.
To be honest the way things are looking i don't even know if I'll have a house when we get back, let alone fish tanks.
I had to evacuate bc I live 3 houses in from the boardwalk and the ocean was nicely making her way up to the boardwalk this morning. :)
Good luck to everyone and stay safe!

Good luck to you and your family. I'm in NJ, and supposedly we are getting this thing full blast. Luckily, I live in an area that shouldn't go down for to long as we are a few miles from the power station. I feel for those along the coast and the folks who live near rivers.

Good luck! Just a warning, I don't want to make you feel bad but storm surge is supposed to 6-10 FT as far as I know and cover Long Beach Island. I hope everyone stays safe!

Back
Top Bottom