Pretty Sad...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

drumlizardo

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Just ran across this article:

Caribbean Coral Reefs Mostly Dead, IUCN Says – News Watch

I know this isn't about aquariums or reef-keeping, but it seems pretty darn relevant to our hobby. I'm glad to hear that collecting specimens for aquariums isn't one of the reasons they listed for the collapse.

What do people think about this? Personally, as a (beginner) reefer, this strikes me as a huge tragedy, and something I wish I knew how to help...

I have read about this being related to global warming. I also wonder if the recent oil disaster was the nail in the coffin.

We reef keepers should obtain corals in a sustainable manner to avoid this.

That's horribly sad. I don't think most people think/care about because it's so far removed from their life and they think "hey, it doesn't impact my life, so what do I care?" I think it's horrible to see nature destroyed like this. :nono:

callisto9 said:
That's horribly sad. I don't think most people think/care about because it's so far removed from their life and they think "hey, it doesn't impact my life, so what do I care?" I think it's horrible to see nature destroyed like this. :nono:

I read an article a while back regarding the same thing. There are many things that they feel have contributed to the decline of natural reefs. Global warming is only one as you have people who over fish and if you think about it, many countries who have no laws on releasing toxic waste into our oceans. It's pretty sad that pregnant women aren't supposed to eat a lot of Tuna because of mercury levels. At one time someone tried to get congress to make it illegal to harvest corals from reefs to sell but obviously that didn't pass. People alway do things in excess...(sighs). Luckily there are groups that grow corals so we don't have to farm them so much. If you check locally, most cities have a reef club and many people sell their frags for very little when something is growing rapidly etc.

I read an article a while back regarding the same thing. There are many things that they feel have contributed to the decline of natural reefs. Global warming is only one as you have people who over fish and if you think about it, many countries who have no laws on releasing toxic waste into our oceans. It's pretty sad that pregnant women aren't supposed to eat a lot of Tuna because of mercury levels. At one time someone tried to get congress to make it illegal to harvest corals from reefs to sell but obviously that didn't pass. People alway do things in excess...(sighs). Luckily there are groups that grow corals so we don't have to farm them so much. If you check locally, most cities have a reef club and many people sell their frags for very little when something is growing rapidly etc.
I just think people don't think about it. I mean honestly, it's not something I've thought about until being a fish owner (albeit freshwater). People have a tendency to only think about what affects them directly. However, spreading awareness is always good and like you said, getting corals locally helps.

I've changed many of my behaviours over the years due to reading articles and realizing how some of my actions impact others or the planet.

Back
Top Bottom