Price of fish!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I put an ad on gumtree and this guy sent me a message and said he is selling them for $2.50 so I'm going to grab 2

Today, at an LFS where I spend a lot of money, there was a tank of beautiful discus ranging from 4"-5" priced from $190.00 upwards. I'm not sure exactly what an albino pigeon discus is, but that one costs $330! There was another tank of very plain looking discus about 3" that we're only $90 each.

That is ridiculous! When I was at a petsmart last, I saw a 75g tank for a little over $200... Man that's just insane that's the price of fish. Crazy.

I enjoy ordering online. The actual fish/plant/invert prices aren't too bad, it's the shipping that kills me though:(

Shipping on fish is crazy. I've only ordered plants from aquabid or from jetajockey because they have plants that my LFS doesn't. I've almost ordered fish but I can't bring myself to pay the shipping.

Shipping on fish is crazy. I've only ordered plants from aquabid or from jetajockey because they have plants that my LFS doesn't. I've almost ordered fish but I can't bring myself to pay the shipping.

Yep. I ordered 8 assassin snails and they were like 5$ a pop. After all was said and done, my bill was 80$!!!

Wow,some very EXTREME prices.Cories in my Lfs are 4.99 each...And another store was selling them for 3 dollars.

Wow wow wow.... I am sure that's in pesos not US dollars lol.
They are nuts and for the discus they sell them by LFS for $35.

I actually bought my Synodontis Multipunctatus for 12.99 at a LFS, online it's priced at 44.99. I'm thinking I got a good deal on her.

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=830+1163+1886&pcatid=1886

You're not wrong! Thats cheaper than the 2" congo tetras i got the other day! It's often cheaper to buy online here, I just haven't been able to bring myself to do it yet. Your multipunctatus at our online fish store:
http://www.livefish.com.au/tropicals/catfish/synodontis-multipunctatus-cuckoo-cat-w-8cm.html

I agree our prices are stupid. This particular specimen was no larger then 4cm and had some torn fins. People would have to be retarded to pay that sort of money.
I mostly get my fish from private breeders for this reason.

Attachments

• image-2487429313.jpg
    image-2487429313.jpg
    123.9 KB · Views: 56
The Hypancytrus is the family which contains the Zebra Pleco, this price is not uncommon for that type of Pleco. When it comes to Zebras, breeders usually charge around $100 per inch.

I actually bought my Synodontis Multipunctatus for 12.99 at a LFS, online it's priced at 44.99. I'm thinking I got a good deal on her.

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=830+1163+1886&pcatid=1886

Pet stores in my experience are hit and miss. Sometimes ya pick up some really nice stuff that they don't even realize they have, hence your Synodontis Multipunctatus. I've seen some real lousy stock at LFS's and then every now and again you'll see something that ya quietly pick up lol, like my profile picture. Found that one in the mixed cichlid tank about a year ago, I got pretty lucky.

It's all a crap shoot IMO. Online you pay the price for sure BUT... Some sites you can pick size and sex which is a HUGE plus.

I agree our prices are stupid. This particular specimen was no larger then 4cm and had some torn fins. People would have to be retarded to pay that sort of money.
I mostly get my fish from private breeders for this reason.

Private breeders are also a good route to go. I once saw a albino bushy nose pleco which they called a "show pleco" for.... Are you ready..... It was about 4-5" and the price on the tank was $299.99 I actually asked if that was a typo. I was told nope! That's a "show fish"

Ok... Sure.... IMO all my African cichlids are "show fish" as I like to show them off ;)

Private breeders are also a good route to go. I once saw a albino bushy nose pleco which they called a "show pleco" for.... Are you ready..... It was about 4-5" and the price on the tank was $299.99 I actually asked if that was a typo. I was told nope! That's a "show fish"

Ok... Sure.... IMO all my African cichlids are "show fish" as I like to show them off ;)

Did that bnp win the Kentucky Derby? If so then it's a cheap stud fee.

Pet stores in my experience are hit and miss. Sometimes ya pick up some really nice stuff that they don't even realize they have, hence your Synodontis Multipunctatus.

Haha You'll never guess where I got mine at....... Are YOU ready for this?.........
Petco lol
I'm on great terms with the lady in the fish department and she orders special catfish just for me :)
Every time I walk in there she grabs my arm and goes "you'll never guess what I just ordered in!" And literally drags me over to the tanks to show me lol

Back
Top Bottom