Pronunciations. . .

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
This was a VERY entertaining thread to say the least. I hung in there and read all 19 pages, got all my questions answered without even asking!

Now if I could just get everybody to pronounce my name correctly (shouldn't be that hard, right?) Accents being what they are, I am frequently called Caw-nee, Cone-ee....my parents named me in their own tongue...Kah-nee is the one :)

Nope! Despite that fact that "bay-da" seems to be the way 99% of people pronounce it, the proper way is actually "bed-a", as RogerMcAllen said...
there is no proper way, its simply a matter of opinion.

I enjoyed reading the pages here! Very informative.
I used to pronounce cichlid = CHICK lid.
LOL!
I'm going to read more

this thread is cracking me up. I've argued with my hubby for years about Betta. He nagged me constantly about it being Bay-ta. I just gave up because really, I'm horrible with words anyway and figured he was right... but oh no! I'm so gonna stick it to him. ;) He's a gamer so I'm sure it's just in his "blood"

Sara said:
Nope! Despite that fact that "bay-da" seems to be the way 99% of people pronounce it, the proper way is actually "bed-a", as RogerMcAllen said...

Just because one person said it doesn't make it correct... IMO both ways are correct.

Potato, potato......tomato, tomato........oh wait, that doesn't work in a text! lol

Poh-tah-toe vs Poe-tay-toe. You could get really country with it and just type "'Dem taters." (y)

I struggled with Cichlid for the longest time. I went to the petstore, turned to my friend, and started ranting out pronunciations until it sounded right. "Chichlid? Chiclid? No, that's gum, right? Sickclid? Sichlid? No, that sounds like a disease." I think the associate was making fun of me.

Back
Top Bottom