Pronunciations. . .

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I said betta was "bedda" (like the opposite of worse, around here) and beta (like 2nd Greek alphabet letter) is "bay-dah." This IS correct!

Okay, your way is betta than mine, Toirtis... :wink:

Wait, 'round here they would say "mo betta"

(Ahm Suthern so we say "bedda" but luckily my drawl does not come through cyberspace). I am prepared to be teased when I join the AA members in NYC next weekend. :D

Actually, my 7 year-old daughter is nearly as bad, she sounds just like an Irish kid saying "Dese", "Dat", and "Doze" instead of "These", "That" and "Those". :lol:

pidgin english is a staple just like rice and spam around here tankgirl so i know how you feel especially when talking to people from the mainland :p

Felf said:
pidgin english is a staple just like rice and spam around here tankgirl so i know how you feel especially when talking to people from the mainland :p

The Mainland Now that's a term that makes me feel at home. I too am from an island only I'm on the total and complete opposite end of the country. (Nantucket, Massachusetts) and when I refer to "the Mainland" to people living there they usually crack up and make fun.

We also call it, "America" and "off the rock".

Just to stay on topic...

still no one knows how to pronounce Colisa Lalia? :cry:

Jchillin said:
TankGirl said:
I am prepared to be teased when I join the AA members in NYC next weekend. :D

Believe me TG, you will not be teased in any way. :lol:

Whew! Thanks for the reassurance. Maybe I'll have laryngitis that day.... 8O

Nippyfish-
I have always said: co-Lisa Lah-lee-ya, but maybe y'all oughn't pay me no mind 'bout how to say them high falutin words. :wink:

she sounds just like an Irish kid saying "Dese", "Dat", and "Doze" instead of "These", "That" and "Those".
Jeees dehr by. How can ya blame yer daughter fer sayin' dem der werds like dat? doze look damn fine ta me!

TG, you don't have to concern yourself about having a southern drawl. The fact is I have one too. Only mine is from southern Brooklyn. :lol: :lol:

I know this may sound like a silly one but when I go to the fish store I'm afraid to ask for plecos because im unsure how to say it properly.

I just call them fungus eaters :(

PL-ek-O?

Back
Top Bottom