Pronunciations. . .

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I was recently at an auction in Cincinnati and one of the species sold was Boesmani rainbows. When read over the speaker they pronounced it as "BOZE-mahn-eye". I can't say for sure that the emphasis is on the first syllibal but I do know that the "i" at the end is pronounced "eye". This is the case any time the species name ends in "i" (which indicates the species was named after a man..."ae" indicates the species was named for a woman as in Melanachromis joanjohnsonae). :)

In my humble opinion the Um-boona only sounds like um in a sentence - it is correct that every letter is pronounced - they are realy saying - "mm boona" mbuna, try it, it works

What about Oto(cinclus) cats? The lfs guys said 'Oh toe', or 'oh toe sink liss'. . . after I asked for 'Otto cats'.

That was the first time I'd actually said it out loud - weird how something so simple never occurs to us. (Like reading/writing these words and never SAYing them. :))

cJw said:
What about Oto(cinclus) cats? The lfs guys said 'Oh toe', or 'oh toe sink liss'. . . after I asked for 'Otto cats'.

When I ask for otocinclus, I pronounce it OH toe sink less
But I say otto when I shorten it.
Technically I guess I should be spelling oto and saying OH toe

I realized yesterday I wasn't sure (altho I'm FW right now, so it's irrelevant) how to pronouce 'wrasse'. . .

www.m-w.com :

Pronunciation: 'ras
Function: noun

Well, that helps like none. ;)

cJw said:
I realized yesterday I wasn't sure (altho I'm FW right now, so it's irrelevant) how to pronouce 'wrasse'. . .

www.m-w.com :

Pronunciation: 'ras
Function: noun

Well, that helps like none. ;)

Wrasse is "Rass" (rhymes with bass, as in the fish, not the instrument!)

Ok, some general and specific ones here...

Characin - is the c an s sound or a ch sound?

Chalceus Macrolepidotus. I've always gone CHAL - see - us Mak - ro - LEP - ee - doh - tus. Any thoughts?

Also, Chalceus Erythrurus - Air - RITH - roo - rus ?

Characin is neither "s" nor "ch," but rather "K" as in CARE-a-sin.

Your other pronunciations are the way I would say them, but I'll defer to Toirtis on those. :D

Now for the fun ones... the catfish! Plecostomus, coryduras, synodontis...

...anyone know about those otocinculus? I've personally pronounced the first "c" like an "s" and the second one like a "k", but I have no idea whether this is correct...

Back
Top Bottom