Pronunciations. . .

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Isn't that just the region in Tanzania that strain comes from.
Pronounced Chuh - wind - ee I believe

The scientific name for the species is Alonocara stuartgranti the different strains/subspecies are then tagged with the region they are found??

The problem with pronunciations is there are always colloquial ways of saying things. And, no one really speaks Latin.
In general, nearly all letters are pronounced. The problem is separating the syllables. I have found that there are lots of people's names mixed in there (i.e. axelrodi as Dr Herbert liked to name fish to bolster his ego). I have found that the way it comes off the tongue the easiest is the way it's said. And, it seems that the a, e, and i all have interchangeable sounds.
Not sure that helped...

Raymond
I have as many aquariums as I'm allowed...for now

There are Latin pronunciation guides on the web. I learned most of my pronunciations from scientists directly. My plant names I've learned from Tom Barr and my other club members.

I have bred reptiles and kept tarantulas so I had to learn all of their scientific names as well. And with practice The pronunciations become easier and make more sense.

The tarantula club I started had a licensed venom collector as a member, he had over 1000 tarantulas including some rare species. So I learned a lot of Latin names and pronunciations from him.

Anyone can mangle a name. But learning the Latin names is a huge step when you want to learn about a species and get more accurate information. Common names suck.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

ok this one isn't very good, but a "plakat" betta? how is plakat pronounced? :D i don't want to embarrass myself at the pet store lol!!

Pangio kuhlii anyone? Scientific and common name would be great.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom