Public Service Announcment. (Link included to graphic image)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
To those with a weak stomach, don't click that link!

FYI all that pic is a little graphic. nothing gruesome but i know there are some kids on this board and other people with weak stomachs.

to describe it: it's a close up shot of a thumb that just got freshly stitched up. quite a bit of dry blood on the hand and under finger nail.

other than that... pretty cool pic. heh. was that you?

-brent

flipz said:

FYI all that pic is a little graphic. nothing gruesome but i know there are some kids on this board and other people with weak stomachs.

to describe it: it's a close up shot of a thumb that just got freshly stitched up. quite a bit of dry blood on the hand and under finger nail.

other than that... pretty cool pic. heh. was that you?

-brent

Yeah, Sorry about that..... I'll edit the title to reflect that. ;-/

Just a note to everyone, when working on anything tank related, to be safe.

Yes, that is my thumb. I was trying to cut some clear, 1/4 inch ID tubing off of something, in order to use it on a return pump.

Needless to say, that still needs to be done. ;-/

9 Stitches total.

ya know... scissors work really well on 1/4" tubing... for future reference :wink:

Normally, I'd agree... But there was a small metal stick stuck inside the tubing, that I was having no luck pulling out.

My thought was, run the blade up between the metal tube, and the tubing.

Needless to say, If i ever need tubing again, and it's got something stuck in it making it difficult to use, I'll be going to Home Depot / Lowes to get new tubing.

And i'm sorry, I think it was 1/2 inch inner diameter.. Was pretty good sized tubing.

Verbalkint said:
Needless to say, that still needs to be done. ;-/

lol. at least you kept a sense of humor through this.

btw i wasn't trying to be rude about the link or anything because it's a good pic and i enjoyed it. haha. yes... im sick. just wanted to warn others.

i hope it heals fast, and keep your hand out of your tank until it does! for your safety mostly.

-brent

Oh, no.. I didn't think you were being rude.

The only other 'forum' i hang out on is populated by close friends, so things like this are usually posted with no warning whatsoever. That, and the Vicodin, I'm not thinking real clear.

I did however, manage to get the Egg crate cut and placed on top of the tank, which allowed me to ditch the 'factory' covers and get some real lighting on. ;-)

So i quess it wasn't a total waste..

I didn't have the state of mind to snap pictures before the stitches, or while the ER Doc was putting them in, however. ;-/

Just be CAREFUL when doing anything DIY... And not only with knives.. But with Drills, saws, sanders, anything.

Other good methods would be putting the tubeing on a flat hard surface and using the blade down aganst that. that way if you slip or it cuts thru faster than antipated you just gouge into the hard surface your cutting on.

That looks painful. Given the knife used does nto have a clean stright sharp surface I suspect it hurt alot more than if it was a rasor blade that would have done a quick and clean cut.

How deep did it go?

That could have been added to this thread...here. :)

Reminds me of once when I was like 14 or so and sharpening a pocket knife towards myself, while holding the whetstone. Blade slipped and went right into my palm. I saw it, but it didn't hurt at first. So I thought it was just a close call. About 2 seconds later blood was everywhere.

Anyways, I bet you won't try that again anytime soon.

This is why I'm glad there are no 'before' photos.

The cut was as deep as it could go.

The tip of the knife nicked the bone.

in middle school my desk had a lose screw and one of the legs started to fall. so the teacher gave me a pocket knife (yes... a pocket knife. not a swiss army knife or anything like that) to use as a screwdriver to put it back in. needless to say the knife closed on my finger and cut it right to the bone.

my mom is a doctor so i knew that after 7 hours you can't get stitches, so i waited 7 hours before telling anyone. :lol: i didn't want stitches!!

-brent

flipz said:

Bah...you can barely see the laceration at all....excellent suturing job, kudos to your doc/nurse.

Boy, would that be irritating while you wait to have the stitching removed.

Sunday, my 7 year-old daughter learned a valuable lesson about not running in the house...thanks to a trip and an aquarium lid, she is now sporting three sutures between her eyes.

By the by....she didn't cry or even flinch when being sewn...how about you? :wink:

Heheh... Not while being sewn up.. But i cried like a little girl on the way to the hospital.

The Dr. did a VERY Nice job, and did it in less than 10 minutes. He let the 'students' do clean up and wrapping. Tho,. they did not trim the stitches any. I had to do that when I got home.

The cut was as deep as it could go.

The tip of the knife nicked the bone.
One lesson here is that you should never have to force a blade to cut something. Either saw it, or get a sharper instrument.

When you have to use force, it will eventually cut or slip, and then that blade (with all that force behind it) has to go somewhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom