Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Closed Thread
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 01-19-2005, 08:37 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak
Puffer Dentistry!!

Saw this on the news last night:

They fixed and overbite on a pufferfish...

90 Gallon Fresh Water Planted w/ CO2:
7 Brilliant Rasbora, 6 Harlequin Rasboras, 3 Dwarf Neon Rainbows, 1 Red Tailed Shark, 2 American Flag Fish, 4 Skunk Botia Loaches

40 Gallon Breeder Salt Water: 4 inch DSB (2/3 Agaramax & 1/3 Sea Flor), Bak Pak 2R Skimmer w/ BBX, 2 x JBJ PHs, Coralife Lunar Aqualight (2x96w), 30lb Base Rock and 40lbs of Live Rock.
Inhabitants: Purple Firefish, Pygmy Angel, Lawmower Blenny, 2 Cleaner Shrimp, 1 Peppermint Shrimp, Pistol Shrimp(HH), 1 Emerald Crabs, 3 Porcelin Crabs(HH), varying amounts and varieties of hermit and snails.

3 Gallon Eclipse:
1 Goldfish (won free at a fair...cost $50 in equipment)
Old 01-19-2005, 09:27 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
thats kinda cool but my issue is why do they let him get like that in the first place ! and they noted that this had been done before ! i have a stars and stiped puffer for over 7 years now and dont have that issue ! he bites on lr and clam shells which keep the teeth down

good luck keith
Old 01-19-2005, 09:34 AM   #3
AA Team Emeritus
Send a message via AIM to lmw80 Send a message via MSN to lmw80 Send a message via Yahoo to lmw80
wow, that's just crazy!

steve, I totally agree with you! They should get a care sheet after the surgery. (given they should know beforehand...)
Join the Eastern PA/Greater Philadelphia Forum! Click here: http://www.aquariumadvice.com/groupcp.php?g=7825

Aquariums are like jello - there's always room for more.
Old 01-19-2005, 05:20 PM   #4
AA Team Emeritus
I know Pufferpunk has described this procedure that she has to do from time to time, and she uses clove oil to sedate them. I think sometimes even if you provide them with the hard shells they need, sometimes they don't eat enough of them and they require this to be done. I guess it is something about being in captivity. I have never seen pictures of it, though- thanks for posting!
Old 01-19-2005, 06:15 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus
Wow!! I wonder what that costs?? My cat has to go in for dental work--my wallet is scared!

Old 01-19-2005, 08:00 PM   #6
AA Team Emeritus
I don't know what it costs, but if it was me, I'd charge A LOT! 8O

Closed Thread

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com