Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-15-2018, 08:55 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Punctured by my Cory catfish

I got punctured by my Cory catfish about five hours ago as I tried to get it out of my net. My finger is still throbbing and if I put a bandage on it still bleeding. From what Ive read they can be poisonous on there a pectoral and dorsal fins. My finger is really throbbing and Im not really sure if I should be very concerned about this or if it will just run its course and be done. I washed it out really good used an antibiotic to wash it with and put another antiseptic on it. I hate overreacting and going to the doctors office at 5 oclock in the afternoon on Saturday so It would end up being an ER visit. I have a screw in my finger joint very near where I got poked by my fish. Have any of you had similar experiences and did they resolve on their own?

Old 09-16-2018, 04:32 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

How are you?

What did you do, wait it out go to doc???

Just saw this, a bit late at this point, but wondering how it's going.

Not a DR. but was given oral Benedryl - DIPHENHYDRAMINE for spider bite before and told to watch for signs of infection as a serious condition could result if it worsens. Irregular heartbeat, breathing problems, red line up hand /arm, swelling change of color of skin, etc. ER would be warranted for sure if any question to securing your health.

New to FW fish? First tank in a long time or EVER??? Need some info on keeping fish?
Start here - Aquarium Advice Article
https://www.aquariumadvice.com/guide...ater-aquarium/

Community Rules
https://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...ork&page=rules

FW & SW
Favorite tank right now -5G Spec V Snails & Betta
Autumnsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 06:43 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

OK, some important things to say here, firstly, what species do you have? Only some corydoras have these glands in their barbs.

Secondly, unless you have an allergy, it'll sting a bit, but won't otherwise harm you. Put continuous pressure on the site for a couple of minutes. If it continues bleeding, it's time for the hospital. And I mean it's producing enough blood to eventually start running. Just a tiny amount of seepage is not a concern as the blood coagulates faster than it seeps.

If the bleeding continues, you may be having a reaction, you may be older and less able to clot effectively or a long list of things. But most of those things have nothing to do with the cory's sting.

If you have to catch cories, shrimp nets are a better choice since they are stiffer. Ideally, you'd use a jar trap or a cup.

I see that this is an older post and you've likely sorted it out one way or another, but hopefully this information will help others, or you if it happens again!
JackBinimbul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 07:14 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

I've been stuck by about every catfish variety native to North America at one time or another and several aquarium types. Still breathing, still here. No worries.

Tags
catfish, cory, cory cat, cory catfish, fish, red

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com