Putting a resume in at my LFS

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

WaterPond

Aquarium Advice Addict
I was at my LFS the other day and a sign on the door said "part time help needed, apply within" So i am going to tomorrow to put my resume in. I think i have a good chance of getting it because I know the owner pretty well, and have helped her free of charge in the past by checking tanks for ich, and other diseases, and scooping out dead fish. I really hope i get it, that would be a dream come true! :D :lol: Well, WISH ME LUCK! And any pointers would be great, this would be my first job, so i am pretty excited. That is if i get it :? I am really nervous about it, but i am really excited too, just thought i would share, :crazyeyes:

That's awesome. Getting a job doing something you love means that "going to work" isn't quite so difficult. Good luck.

i went to petsmart a couple weeks ago and told the fish girls my dojo was flashing and they thought i was a goofball. i had to tell them what that meant. they had no idea what i was talking about. it's good to know an aa member will be working for an lfs. gl!!

Awesome! I bet you'll get it. Even if you don't know everything, if you care about the fish, you're already well-qualified.
My LFS had a help wanted posting all summer, and I really, really, really wanted to apply, but I've already got a job that I like. But it would have been an awesome place to work.

Sweet! I'm starting a job at my LFS tomorrow and I can't wait. I did a psych/soc double major in college and they made all the psych majors take a class about job hunting skills. They talked about resumes a lot and basically what I took away from it is this:
Keep your resume down to 1 page. A lot of employers won't even read the second page.
Summarize the skills you have learned in your past experience, not just your position duties.
Proofread, proofread, proofread! It makes you look so much better to write your resume with everything spelled right and with correct grammar.

Nice, good luck with that; I can think of plenty of places that need qualified help in the fish department. :D

I concur with severum mama about your resume. The best bet is to show it to a couple people to proofread/critique before you give it to the store.

another good thing to do hen applying for a specific job like this is to include a page with your resume including your pet experience. say if u have cared for dogs/rodents/reptiles/fish. this is a major reason for hiring. is it a pet shop or an aquarium shop? if it is a pet shop be prepared to be scooping dog doo and cleaning cages as well as tending to the fishies. i am thinking about applying to the pet shop in my town. they just moved there store and are looking for exta help. maybe i will hand in my resume.

It is a petstore that specializes in SW and FW fish, I know a little bit about SW, but before i put my resume in, i will do some more research. They also carry ALOT OF DOGS, holy crap, last time i was there they sold three dogs, in half an hour. CRAZYNESS! I know alot about dogs and cats and reptiles, aswell as, the store does carry some birds, but not too many, I did my reasearch on birds before i wanted to get one a few years back. The only thing i don't know much about is SW, so i will have to research it alot. I can't get there until thursday though to put my resume in so i hope the position is still open. There are rodents there too, which i know tons about. I am just kind of blabbering on. Anyway, thanks for the advice on the resume. And i will need all the luck i can get!!!

mr funktastic said:
another good thing to do hen applying for a specific job like this is to include a page with your resume including your pet experience. say if u have cared for dogs/rodents/reptiles/fish. this is a major reason for hiring. is it a pet shop or an aquarium shop? if it is a pet shop be prepared to be scooping dog doo and cleaning cages as well as tending to the fishies. i am thinking about applying to the pet shop in my town. they just moved there store and are looking for exta help. maybe i will hand in my resume.
This is called a Curriculum Vitae, and is an excellent idea.

http://jobsearch.about.com/cs/curriculumvitae/f/cvresume.htm

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom