Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Closed Thread
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 08-13-2006, 05:43 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict
Send a message via MSN to WaterPond Send a message via Yahoo to WaterPond
Putting a resume in at my LFS

I was at my LFS the other day and a sign on the door said "part time help needed, apply within" So i am going to tomorrow to put my resume in. I think i have a good chance of getting it because I know the owner pretty well, and have helped her free of charge in the past by checking tanks for ich, and other diseases, and scooping out dead fish. I really hope i get it, that would be a dream come true! Well, WISH ME LUCK! And any pointers would be great, this would be my first job, so i am pretty excited. That is if i get it I am really nervous about it, but i am really excited too, just thought i would share,

Canadian Aquarium Auction!
Old 08-13-2006, 05:47 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Regular
GOOD LUCK Sounds like you have a great chance of landing thata job.

Old 08-13-2006, 05:52 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict
Seems like the odds are with you. Good luck with it!
Old 08-13-2006, 06:29 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic
Send a message via AIM to JRagg
That's awesome. Getting a job doing something you love means that "going to work" isn't quite so difficult. Good luck.
10g Heavily planted - 1 mating pair of Apistogramma Cacatuoides "Orangeflash" and a whole lot of MTS
Old 08-13-2006, 06:39 PM   #5
i went to petsmart a couple weeks ago and told the fish girls my dojo was flashing and they thought i was a goofball. i had to tell them what that meant. they had no idea what i was talking about. it's good to know an aa member will be working for an lfs. gl!!
Old 08-13-2006, 06:52 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic
Send a message via AIM to Mosaic
Awesome! I bet you'll get it. Even if you don't know everything, if you care about the fish, you're already well-qualified.
My LFS had a help wanted posting all summer, and I really, really, really wanted to apply, but I've already got a job that I like. But it would have been an awesome place to work.
I just want my planted tanks to be perfect. Is that so much to ask?

55g: (Mostly) African riverine species: Alestes Chaperi, breeding pair of Kribs, and rhino pleco
30g: Newly established reef tank
10g: Planted but fishless
5g: Unplanted with various snail species
2.5g: Heavily planted with betta.
Old 08-13-2006, 07:26 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Sweet! I'm starting a job at my LFS tomorrow and I can't wait. I did a psych/soc double major in college and they made all the psych majors take a class about job hunting skills. They talked about resumes a lot and basically what I took away from it is this:
Keep your resume down to 1 page. A lot of employers won't even read the second page.
Summarize the skills you have learned in your past experience, not just your position duties.
Proofread, proofread, proofread! It makes you look so much better to write your resume with everything spelled right and with correct grammar.
Old 08-13-2006, 08:22 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict
Moved to The Lounge.
Vote for Aquarium Advice

29 Gallon Lake Malawi Fry
55 Gallon Community
150 Gallon Lake Malawi Cichlid
Old 08-13-2006, 09:26 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak
Nice, good luck with that; I can think of plenty of places that need qualified help in the fish department.

I concur with severum mama about your resume. The best bet is to show it to a couple people to proofread/critique before you give it to the store.
20g tall - planted FW with celestial pearl danios (and some fry!), amano shrimp, and a cute neon blue Endler.
Old 08-13-2006, 09:39 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict
another good thing to do hen applying for a specific job like this is to include a page with your resume including your pet experience. say if u have cared for dogs/rodents/reptiles/fish. this is a major reason for hiring. is it a pet shop or an aquarium shop? if it is a pet shop be prepared to be scooping dog doo and cleaning cages as well as tending to the fishies. i am thinking about applying to the pet shop in my town. they just moved there store and are looking for exta help. maybe i will hand in my resume.

Closed Thread

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com