Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-01-2014, 07:32 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallascowboys16 View Post
I hear you all on this, I had a neighbor who kept two guppies in a 1 or 1 and a half gallon tank with no filtration or water changes for two years. I didn't say much so I didn't start any arguments but when the fish finally passed they decided to not set it up again.

Maybe feeding it was too much work for them.

* my dry sense of humor, dorry

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Amy
amyb_70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 03:44 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Freak

Putting up with bad fish keeping habits

My grandma got me a half gallon betta bowl with no filter and when he died she was so surprised. I was kinda annoyed because it was a surprise gift but if she had told me I would have told her to wait and let me get a better tank for it What really annoyed me was when it died she didn't understand why and even asked if I could get another smaller one

Old 12-02-2014, 06:12 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Naturally lighthearted!

Quote:
Originally Posted by amyb_70 View Post
Hey Egghead, I'm good, I think were both concerned our words will be taken the wrong way here. Lol. I'm so greatful to have found this site and have had a few wonderful people who have gone far beyond what I expected to help me learn. I've been into the hobby about 9 months now and have barely gotten my toes wet on things to learn. I have learned a lot of NOT TO DO things though. . Love the site and have only come across 1 or 2 arrogant people. Thanks to all of you I am not scooping dead fish every morning like I was in the beginning.

If you're getting wet toes you're doing something wrong

(Occasionally though, I get a wet foot!)
J.Mcpeak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 06:37 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

I had incidents with the people who got me into fish.
There is no way that I could tell them anything relating to the fish world. Technically I'm uneducated, both of them were highly educated with one finishing university. Really very clever people.

They believed the shop over me and consequently went through large numbers of fish.

Given the time scale I had very little experience even compared to them, I almost understand their viewpoint but when I'm having success where they failed and the only difference is I'm ignoring the in store advice, it's hard to remain calm.

We had issues with platy, puffer fish and clown loaches.
We are no longer friends. The shop loves them still, and as far as I know they still use the same store!

(They went through a few brackish puffer fish in a mixed fresh community using a teaspoon of salt in 90 litres (20g)) no salinity testing? Not even marine grade salt? Please!

I've also been involved in a number of incidents in store with staff from management level down through the ranks.

I'm running out of shops too! Some places are good as gold, other places have one or two people who like providing answers, well, random word collections using suitable piscine terminology in order to sound official.

They are my favourite targets for a wind up!
When I'm feeling cheeky I might go and ruffle feathers. (I mean test their knowledge)

It can be entertaining playing dumb for the first half of your conversation.
My favourite staff are the ones who say, "I don't know, hang on, I'll ask them, they are the expert."
Old 12-02-2014, 06:46 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Mcpeak View Post

Given the time scale I had very little experience even compared to them, I almost understand their viewpoint but when I'm having success where they failed and the only difference is I'm ignoring the in store advice, it's hard to remain calm.

The saying practice makes perfect is only a half truth. Perfect practice makes perfect. One can have tons of poor experience....
Old 12-02-2014, 07:11 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

I love playing dumb at petsmart, then a family with an oscar and a bowl yells at me and I show them the photos I have all stored up in an album on my phone. 😊

Delivered via owl
Ministry of Magic
Old 12-02-2014, 09:25 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

Phew! It's not just me then! (Maybe it's natural after all!)

. . . And they stood, confused, humbled.
Possibly even embarrassed and apologetic.
I stood content. Pleased, no less.

We have pets at home in England, old England!
Really I feel like staff sometimes. I've stopped many poor situations in various pets at home stores! Both with staff actions on systems and with customer confusion.
Once I stopped a lady buying gibbiceps for her (admittedly it was a large) bowl, like the large size biorb, really though it's a small to medium size.
I said, listen here, I have one of those and it's THIS BIG and still growing, go and buy a book. The lady left with no fish.
She wanted something to deal with algae and the thumb size plec was offered!
Now for the staff,
The poor rabbit lady got some words after watching her "cleverly" dose a tank for ich by just pouring an amount of liquid from the bottle, that'll do she says! Hmm, I think they'll all be dead tomorrow. That day I took no fish.
More often than not I catch my own from here as the staff sometimes have never even caught a fish! Just watching the section or similar situation.

Can I help you sir? Hmmm, or perhaps, can I help you?

What's the joke, pets at home, yeah cos they're too scared to come here!

(Aqua- I love that phrase. I'll get you a card for all of these points you seem to be collecting!)
Old 12-03-2014, 07:46 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Mcpeak View Post
. . . And they stood, confused, humbled.

Possibly even embarrassed and apologetic.

I stood content. Pleased, no less.

We have pets at home in England, old England!

Really I feel like staff sometimes. I've stopped many poor situations in various pets at home stores! Both with staff actions on systems and with customer confusion.

Once I stopped a lady buying gibbiceps for her (admittedly it was a large) bowl, like the large size biorb, really though it's a small to medium size.

I said, listen here, I have one of those and it's THIS BIG and still growing, go and buy a book. The lady left with no fish.

She wanted something to deal with algae and the thumb size plec was offered!

Now for the staff,

The poor rabbit lady got some words after watching her "cleverly" dose a tank for ich by just pouring an amount of liquid from the bottle, that'll do she says! Hmm, I think they'll all be dead tomorrow. That day I took no fish.

More often than not I catch my own from here as the staff sometimes have never even caught a fish! Just watching the section or similar situation.

Can I help you sir? Hmmm, or perhaps, can I help you?

What's the joke, pets at home, yeah cos they're too scared to come here!

(Aqua- I love that phrase. I'll get you a card for all of these points you seem to be collecting!)

I really like your way of thinking. As a newbie myself it's hard, I learned the hard way that most employees at these stores are clueless. I did have the opportunity to advise a customer that the CA is not a good choice for a guppy tank. I tried to tell him how the 1 I had killed several of my guppies, he was angry and pointed to the other end and said that's where the aggressive fish are, turned to store lady and said I'll take 5 please. I just said good luck with that and continued to browse.. Note: the employee had said they were great in guppy tank, it was her 2nd day of work there. I lost double digit guppies over several months before I was able to figure out what the problem was, with much help from the people here. CA gone no more mysteriously dead guppies. Hummmm I do wonder how things are going in his peaceful community tank.

Amy
amyb_70 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fish

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com