PWC guestion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Smaller changes weekly are better than larger changes less often for a tank that is properly stocked. The more frequently you change a little water ( I recommend 10%- 15% weekly), the less likely your water chemistry will get out of whack and hurt the fish. (Fish do not like change! unless it's from bad water to good and even that can kill a fish if done too quickly.) I've been keeping tropical fish this way for over 40 years and I don;t have many of the problems with my fish or tanks that I see posted on this site. ( Just sayin' ;) )

Hope this helps

I feel like its necessary. I change 10-50% of my water a couple times a week. My tank is also a bit overstocked so that might be for the best anyway. If I don't then I feel like the water is dirty. It's done nothing but good for my fish, my substrate looks clean and they seem to be growing faster. Reading from your posts your tank is a bit overstocked too, with that pleco in a 10g, I think you should be doing a couple a week also.

Necessary? No. Optimal? Yes, clean water is always optimal.

If water changes are stressing the fish then there's some sort of user error involved, whether it be too much difference in water parameters from old to new, or methodology.

I feel like its necessary. I change 10-50% of my water a couple times a week. My tank is also a bit overstocked so that might be for the best anyway. If I don't then I feel like the water is dirty. It's done nothing but good for my fish, my substrate looks clean and they seem to be growing faster. Reading from your posts your tank is a bit overstocked too, with that pleco in a 10g, I think you should be doing a couple a week also.

I just saw an awesome stress free pwc strategy. I will!

Necessary? No. Optimal? Yes, clean water is always optimal.

If water changes are stressing the fish then there's some sort of user error involved, whether it be too much difference in water parameters from old to new, or methodology.

I totally agree. I could probably get away with monthly ones but I want the best reef tank out there and I wont get it skimping on pwc's.

Back
Top Bottom