Question for salties and freshies about sand

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

shawmutt

Aquarium Advice Addict
I'm compiling information about sand for a possible article, and I am wondering about the Carribean (aragonite) play sand available at Home Depot under assorted brand names. I used it for my fresh water tank, and haven't yet run into problems, but I want your opinion.

For those that have used it, what is your general opinion of it? Any major problems? Was it worth the savings, or do you wish you just bought the sand at a lfs instead? TIA!

The only thing I can say about it is that many people don't realize how it will buffer their water, though there is play sand that is quartz based and will not buffer. I have used it and pool filter sand and would not pay LFS $ for sand if I could help it!

Almost forgot - I encourage you to write a sand article (assuming it is for here :wink: ) since there has been a lot of separate discussions about it lately, it seems to me.

I have opinions, but I don't know what kind of sand it is! I read the bag--half is in French and the half that's in English just says its sterilized and lists all it's uses.

I bought Target Playsand from Home Depot and have been very happy with it. I rinsed it three times, but not all at once! I forget how many kilos they sold it in, but it was at least 50 lbs. Then it was put in the 29 gal. I put a sponge over the filter intake and it cleared up by the next day. When I stir it up, it settles quickly. My fish--shellies and brichardi love it. I also found it was easy to move when I realized the shellies and brichardi were not meant to be tank mates :roll:
I used my gravel vac hose and siphoned the sand out. Way easier than moving gravel (which I also did the same night I was moving sand...).
Price--super cheap. It was actually recommended by someone at a LFS. At the time is was recommended, I was told I probably would not use it all--he was right. I have at least a third of the bag left. I am going to mix some of it with regular potting soil and start a cactus garden...when I have some free time :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom