Quick! Tell me NO!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Christmasfish

Aquarium Advice Addict
Say "NO! Bad Christmas fish! Do not trade for that baby polyreptus until the tank arrives and cycles for your knifefish. Don't do it! Stop I say!"

...but-but it is just a wee 5 inches long...surely I have at least 6 months before I have to put him in his permanent home? Dutch wil move to his new home in March.
A pro for repty depends on growth rate...(Plan to put one in a custom "coffee table" That way the 4x3 space above it can be used. Just remove doily, unlock lid and lift to interact.....)

Christmasfish....

You can keep the 5" Polypterus in a smaller tank for a few months before moving it into a larger tank. Polypterus species do, however, grow at different rates depending on species. If you're dealing with Polypterus senegalus or P. delhezi which are among the smaller Polypterids then the above applies. Polypterus ornatipinnis or P. enderlichi, on the other hand, have a tendency to grow faster because they are larger fish.

I know that's not EXACTLY what you wanted to hear.....but c'est la vive!! :lol:

heh maybe I do want to here it ^_^

Hmm, .,nothing stopping me yet....
It is supposed to be a senegalis. Our fish guy just got him and though he runs a great shop, everyone always knows more about their favorites (pacus, oscars and cichlids and Angels in his case). He is not 100 % on its size to be. It is very cute now and it will be hideous-cute later. It already watches people expectantly.

may as well just get it just a bit longer in the qt. :mrgreen:

He came out of a 20 day qt Weds. That is why I didn't know he was there. Or I'd have maybe waited on Dutch...maybe. Dutch is awfullycute and will always look the way he does. An it looks darling there snapping at too nosy cichlids.(it is with sone stripey ones and baby dempsies).
I am having trouble keeping from driving there today! he is closed now..Whew!

Polypterus senegalus is one of the smaller bichirs (Polypterids) and will max out at about 12 inches in the aquarium, though I had one that finally reached about 15 inches. I've heard of 17 inch P. senegalus but have never seen one that big. They are fairly active for a Polypterus and any small fish that happen to stumble into their path (or that they can get to at night) will eventually disappear.

Polypterus species (along with their close relative Erpetoichthys calabaricus - the Reed or Rope Fish) are my absolute favorite fish to keep. Eventually I'll have another large tank full of them!!!

Oh....an important note....ALL Polypterids are escape artists (especially the Rope/Reed Fish) so be sure that any openings in your aquarium top are carefully secured. Large Polypterus will also be able to push the lid of your aquarium up far enough for them to escape so you'll eventually need to use weights on the top of the aquarium.

:wink:
Christmasfish said:
...(Plan to put one in a ......... remove doily, unlock lid and lift to interact.....)
Heh, i heard about one that scared houseguest by coming out from under their bed...and the guy was searching around saying "anyone seen my FISH?" I wish I could remember where I saw it..it was a hilarious story!
Now I see why you couldn't sway me..you plan to have a whole gaggle of em! :lol:

I figure I will fill his tank with fast producing fish. I'd say mollies but they like brackish.Something flashy and exponential in production. So you dont notice when one disappeared..another younger duplicate takes the place...heh. Dutch will have bettas. My cute skunk botias may be a mistake, they need to be a bigger group and most things in the big tanks will snack on them. prolly get the croaking gourami and a few more botias for tank #2.
If he is there saturday he is mine. He suggested a cichlid tank for my taste in aggressive and odd things. (He likes cichlids and has tons in every color imaginable (lemon, lemon chiffon, green, blue, and color overlays on brown). That sengal is a perfect mate to the knife. I can put their two long tanks back to back for my "coffee table". A day weird beastie and a dusk weird beastie. Heh. Even the colors are opposite.

Aaw crap..it is valentines and i have an empty tank......
and it so wee cute. I have time to order the second tank..
(actually it is the rearrnage ment of my home for large items like 4 ft tanks. I still have the dojo downstairs. maybe above/behind the desk space....... That is a 6 by 6 wall area under an insulated window....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom