Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Closed Thread

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-02-2004, 11:17 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to Psyhampster Send a message via Yahoo to Psyhampster
Quirky Fish?

Do any of your fish have strange quirks, or just plain funny behaviors?

My female German Blue Ram seems to enjoy being partialy sucked up by the siphon.
Everybody has to come and investigate whenever somthing falls into the tank, and usually try to eat whatever it is, including fingers

http://www.aquarank.com/images/users/1.gif Vote For Us!

20 gal FW
----------
2 Flame Blue Platies, 2 Micky Mouse Platies, 2 Flame Gold Platies, 1 German Blue Ram, 2 Yo-Yo Loaches

30 gal FW
--------

1 Marble Hatchet, 5 Silver Hatchets, 6 Zebra Danios, 2 Dwarf Gouramis, 2 Fancy Guppies, 1 Yo-Yo Loach
Old 11-02-2004, 11:30 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

My large angel likes to "sneak" up on his tankmates from behind and look them eye to eye, scaring the heck out of the fish.

Old 11-02-2004, 11:48 PM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

I had a ghost shrimp in with one of my bettas, and the betta was so curious about the shrimp! The shrimp went behind the sponge filter, and the betta spent about 10 minutes squeezing himself back there too, so they were both sitting behind the sponge filter. The betta didn't hurt the shrimp, but he just had to see what was going on back there where the shrimp was!

My other betta is so territorial of his java moss "bed". I used to take the moss out for water changes, and the betta would get very upset. When I returned the moss, sometimes he wouldn't wait until I lowered the moss back into place -- he would just swim over and sit on the moss in my hand! Now, thanks to grimlock3000's idea to use a soap dish to rest the moss on, I don't take it out of the tank when I do a water change. I do lower the water level to just about the level of the soap dish and moss. The betta was upset that the water was a little too low for him to get into his bed. He went under the bed, and swam UP through the holes in the soap dish! (I scooped him out because there really wasn't much water in the dish at that point.) Another time, a bit of food had fallen into the moss, and I reached in to take it out, and the betta bit me! He is very protective of his moss!

Old 11-03-2004, 12:44 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I have a Yellow Tang that is scared of fish half his size, and Goldfish that expect the cats to feed them when they sit on the edge of the tank.
Old 11-03-2004, 02:49 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Goldfish that expect the cats to feed them when they sit on the edge of the tank.
Our African cichlids expect that too!

Old 11-03-2004, 03:08 AM   #6
AA Team Emeritus

Oh no....fish that can't tell the difference between people and cats!

Old 11-03-2004, 11:30 AM   #7
AA Team Emeritus

I have a bristlenose plec that spends most of his days inside my CO2 diffuser, bubbles of CO2 whirling all around him and his beautiful bristles.

I used to have a Hagen CO2 diffuser ladder and about daily I would have to rescue a serpae tetra that would get wedged behind it. Come to think of it, all of the quirky fish I have are related to CO2. Hmm....
Old 11-03-2004, 02:56 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

I just sat and watched my oto swim on the glass, going round and round the thermometer for about 20 min. It looked like she was having a great time until I wanted a closer look. It was pretty funny.
Old 11-03-2004, 03:10 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by An t-iasg
Oh no....fish that can't tell the difference between people and cats!
Thankfully my cats haven't made any real effort to try and get to them, though one can open hoods and dips her paw in, pulls it out, and licks the water off if her own water gets too low or perhaps not filled with fish poo?

The Danios seem to think her paw is food during this time, and when they try and get a bite, she stops right away. Hasn't tried it lately.. but either way I could swear my Dwarf Puffer finds this hilarious.
Old 11-03-2004, 05:57 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to quarryshark
My 2 Heni Butterfly's like to "tease" my big Angel. They know she can't stand them and they also know she is too slow to catch them so..
The love to "together" sneak up to the entrance of here cave and peak in. She immediately gets mad and chases them away. They will do this over and over again some days.
I think when they get bored, this is a source of entertainment for them, its too funny, she can't even come close to getting them.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com