Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-21-2008, 11:02 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to black hills tj Send a message via MSN to black hills tj Send a message via Yahoo to black hills tj
Radio DJ

Is anyone here a radio DJ? Lately I'm kind of fond of the idea, and I'm looking into applying for a spot on our campus radio station as well as a weekend position at a local station.

Thanks,

Mike

http://www.bhtj.net
black hills tj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 11:05 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Regular

I've been in radio and on the air for nearly 30 years now. What can I answer for you?

Old 10-21-2008, 11:41 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to black hills tj Send a message via MSN to black hills tj Send a message via Yahoo to black hills tj
I have an "audition" at a local studio on Monday morning. I'm supposed to be doing a couple demo recordings and such. Do you have any tips, pointers, etc?

What do you think of the career field over all? Ups? Downs? Let's hear it.

Old 10-21-2008, 11:56 PM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

Good luck, Mike! Sounds interesting!

An t-iasg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 11:57 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Thanks! I hope it goes well

Old 10-22-2008, 01:17 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Regular

Good Luck

For starters.....Be yourself, use your voice as is and don't try to sound bigger or boomier. Unless your voice is annoying....there's no need to worry about how much it sounds like a "Radio Voice".
Speak clearly and normally....with enthusiasm....as if you're talking to a friend on the street.

You won't get rich in a small market. If money is your thing, get into radio sales......that is where the money is at in smaller and medium markets.

Physically .....it is not very demanding, but mentally....it keeps you very busy, especially while you are on the air. Conditions are usually great. After all, you're cool in the summer, warm in the winter, and dry when it rains.
Keep in mind...it IS a job. Some long and odd hours can be associated with it. It can be a challenge at times just like any other job.
One other thing.....You will NEVER please all radio listeners. Everybody WILL NOT love you......regardless of how good you are.

Good Luck
Old 10-22-2008, 07:55 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Thanks MM! I'm not looking for big money, but just trying to get my foot in the door. I'm not sure if I want to major in mass comm. with a broadcasting major yet, but it can't hurt to try things out and meet some people! If nothing else, it will be a great experience that I will find useful in the future.

Old 10-22-2008, 08:03 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

I've done the campus thing, and the best thing to do there is set up a decent premise for your show. I did a new music show called "Don't Believe the Hype" but I also did shows premised around music nominally or normally too known for college radio but too obscure for commercial radio: i.e., "lesser" Beatles songs, old Herbie Hancock funk, and new stuff like Dinosaur Jr. (then) and, say, Fleet Foxes now.

Just make sure it's something you'll enjoy spinning every week for a long time.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com