Rant on Mini-tanks...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Christmasfish

Aquarium Advice Addict
Also can be titled..Just because they sell it, don't mean you should buy it!

Every time I see someone with these mini office tanks posted i feel raged.
Not against the newbie who bought what was offered..but the industry STILL making them!

WHAT is supposed to live in these things. Specially when the pictures show a ton of goldfish or a neons or mollies? And shipwrreck decorations and plants?
Who should we blame? retail for buying them? or the long established tank makers for supplying them?

It is all I can do to keep from asking these poor victims if they saw a picture showing that cigarettes are great with a glass of milk...would they start smoking? Or would that take the knowledgeable 7-11 clerks advice first? :roll:

I am (as my sig shows) totally pissed that retail has made pets into an impulse buy anyway. As more laws squeeze them into good behaviour, less types of animals are carried. We all need to start grass rots movements in our states to protect animals better. Not just so there is care in the shop, but so that cruel practices are not perpetuated. :(

I totally agree that the industry seriously needs some help when it comes to their advertising... they certainly aren't helping create responsible and knowledgable customers.

However, with that said, I would like to point out that those small desktop tanks CAN be successful if the person has enough knowledge and drive to care for them properly.

Christmasfish, it's clear from these responses that you are preaching to the choir here, lol. But I guess this is the best and only place to rant because most people just don't care much about fish.

There are lots of fishkeeping myths still being perpetuated by the tank manufacturers and some ill-informed lfs. You should have seen some of the looks I got when I purchased a 15 gal tank for my bettas!

Also, keep in mind that the people who make the pictures on the boxes are more interested in computer generated graphical design than aquarium fish. Using photoshop, they cram lots of fish in there because it has more visual impact.

The best thing any of us can do is to try to de-program fellow shoppers without getting ourselves booted out of the lfs.

QTOFFER said:
The best thing any of us can do is to try to de-program fellow shoppers without getting ourselves booted out of the lfs.

Speaking from experience, are you? :wink: I haven't been kicked out of one yet, but I've certainly got a few dirty looks from LFS employees... :twisted:

kreach said:
QTOFFER said:

Speaking from experience, are you? :wink: I haven't been kicked out of one yet, but I've certainly got a few dirty looks from LFS employees... :twisted:

This is how I felt as I spoke with a classmate who works for petsmart concerning fish. She was describing her 20 gallon community tank which had 2 fantail goldies and various other tropical fish mixed in...steadfastly believing in all she is told as an employee of petsmart. She didn't like my explanation of how the 1" rule isn't very good (12" oscar vs. 12- 1" neons)...and the list goes on and on (she doesn't change the water ever). To top it all off she is under the impression that fish only live for a year or two...but I guess under the conditions in which they live that is a long time to hold out.

I saw something just today..I tried to steer the lady and kid away from disaster..and the $*^@! female fish clerk at Pet-notsmart sold them a baby cory 1 med size angels(2 inch?) and one other I didn't see ( I think a second angel) for the Petsmart Spongebob tank they have at home that the 3 neons died in last week.... and the 2 golds died in. Those things are MAYBE 3 gallons. And filled with toys! It makes me feel sooo.....
xxbah.gif
sooo...
zx11pissed.gif

Auurggh!
newburn.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom